D&D (2024) Out with the old, in with the new?

How much older 5e material will you keep in your game?

• Hard reset. Once I get the new books, all that’s gone before is gone.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Soft reset. I’ll keep a few things, at least until new books offer replacements.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Pick and choose. Much will be carried forward, but some might be excluded.

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • Everything is in. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • No 2024 for me. I’m sticking with the books I have.

Votes: 26 19.3%

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I selected "Pick and Choose," but the option I wanted didn't seem to be there. I guess it would fall somewhere in between "Soft Reset" and "Pick and Choose." Basically, my existing campaigns will continue to use the 2014 material (unless the players really feel like recreating their characters using the 2024 material) until they reach their conclusion, while new campaigns will start fresh with the 2024 books.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I pretty much allow anything released for 5E (either from WotC or from 3PP) into my games already (assuming they fit the setting of the current game I'm running)... and I have plenty of house rules that I myself have made up too. So when I move onto the 5E24 rules... if there's anything from 5E14 that is missing that I feel I want in the game (or that a player feels they want to use)... I will have no issue incorporating it. Sure, I might do a bit of editing of it so that it fits the new game better... but I won't ever dismiss something out of hand just because.

I plan on getting the new books but my game will keep running forward. I definitely plan to play older adventures that I haven't gotten the chance to run yet and I'm not seeing any major hurdles so far.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I find this fascinating. Have you done tht with any previous books? Seen them published but only allowed the use of them bit by bit? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that.

Unless I happen to be starting a new campaign (and my campaigns last years, not months), this is how I typically do it.

Edit: Which translated to "Pick and Choose" to me, so I voted for that.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Likely I will pull in some from the dmg…I may read and use skill rules in particular.

Otherwise I don’t really want power creep or watered down lore. So I am cautious and may do some or none. Its wait and see.

I will look forward to published adventure collections.

I never had many big problems with 5e…so I don’t have a desire to fix what I have not found broken. We shall see in practice how it goes.

Ugh. But if they incorporate Greyhawk….i may get sucksred into buying more than I will use…

Pick and choose, but probably mainly from subclasses that won't have been updated to the new version yet, although that will probably require a bit of tinkering on a case by case basis. Basically, the 2024 chassis with the addition of otherwise missing 2014 subclasses...

Kurotowa

Legend
Here's my attitude: Anything with a clear replacement, you use the updated version. Anything without a clear replacement, you use what exists as long as there's not a clear conflict. Spells and magic items are easy to bring forward, subclasses a little harder, feats are kinda iffy because of how much they changed.

Remove ads