Paladin build help

Anthraxus

Explorer
VonRichthofen said:
Concerning buckler: As long as it is non-magical, it is not that great a trade-off. (1:1)

But as soon as you can get enchanted baubles, it begins to pay off.

A +5 armor will cost you the same as a +4 armor and a +3 buckler (sparing the cost for a masterwork buckler, but gah...)

Your net gain will then be +3 to AC for a -1 to hit - to me, this sounds about right.

And you can easily add 4-6 extra points of AC with Divine Shield at high levels.

I hadn't thought of that for some reason. Better than combat expertise, a -1 to attack for a lot more AC(+6 with a +1 buckler and Divine shield(after a +2 Cloak of Cha purchase).

Some good ideas. I'll probably go with Divine Vigor or D. Shield with the next Paladin level, and then switch to Fighter levels and pick up the Buckler Feat and/or Improved Crit.

VonRichthofen

First Post
You should reconsider Divine Crusader.

Your BAB will take a hit & your smite is not progressed. No "real" DR or Mettle & a smaller HD.

Energy resistance is nice having but also nothing spectacular; and DR 10/magic will be mostly useless at pre-epic levels.

While the spellcasting looks powerful on paper, remember:

You will have to pick ONE domain of your deity - and that's that, your glorious spell list. Versatility: ZERO

While some domains of your deity might look tasty at first look (Sun for that Fireshield, Flamestrike and Prismatic Sphere; Glory for that crunchy Gate spell - a CR 23 Solar is a statement of its own, after all), you will be lacking any flexibility while being a lesser warrior overall.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Anthraxus,

Are you really not interested in dismissing your mount ability? I only ask because, honestly, as a fellow that likes Paladins, the Dragon variant class feature is much better than the one in PHB II.

There are other alternate class features in that same Dragon (it's in the Class Acts section), but that was the one I felt most useful for ALL paladins.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Anthraxus,

Are you really not interested in dismissing your mount ability? I only ask because, honestly, as a fellow that likes Paladins, the Dragon variant class feature is much better than the one in PHB II.

There are other alternate class features in that same Dragon (it's in the Class Acts section), but that was the one I felt most useful for ALL paladins.

Nightfall,
What is the Dragon variant class feature?

Unfortunately, I'm playing in Living Greyhawk, so my options are severely limited. They did adopt a list of feats from Dragon once, but the interaction between LG and Dragon/Dungeon is almost nil. Back when the LG Journal was in there, they did use a few pf the rules items. :\

Maybe current events in my region will cause Pholtus to become less appealing. ;) Paladin of Kord, maybe? I'll have to check to see how hard it is to convert a Paladin in LG to a different deity.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Von,

Only if you used UA variant I believe.

Anthraxus,

If you're using Living Greyhawk, it's probably highly unlikely they'll allow this class feature. The alternate class feature is where you replace one ability (like summoning amount) for another (in this instance a celestial made weapon that grows over time with you as you gain levels every 5 after the 5th.) So I guess that might not work for you. Then again it is Dragon. So who knows?

pallandrome

First Post
Honestly, a good Pally is one of the best tanks in the game. Just 5-foot step back and use Lay on Hands on yourself whenever you get in trouble. If you max out charisma, this can extend your life by literally hundreds of hp at high levels.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Good point- apparently, the only Paladin allowed deity in Greyhawk would be Lendor, and I'd have to get an Atonement from a priest of Lendor to convert(or ask for a special mission).

Maybe I will just stick with Paladin, take a few levels of fighter, and maybe drift into the Hospitaller PrC.

I'm pretty intent on getting those Divine Feats, as well as Improved Crit and Buckler defense. Maybe by 12th level...

Thanks for the help!

-A

Remove ads