[Paladin mount questions] But the Lone Ranger never killed off Silver...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
drnuncheon said:

Base saves are just that - base, without any bonuses. So no, no Divine Grace, just what you get directly from your character levels.

J
*sigh* I suppose that is the literal reading. I had been hoping that, given the nature of the Divine Grace ability, it might count as an actual addition to saves, rather than an unnamed bonus. Since the save feats also use the word "bonus" I suppose they, too, are out--even though they would seem more in the vein of the ability raises gained by level (as in non-magical, simply-part-of-the-PC-ish).

This only makes the suggestion about asking the DM to allow magical beast advancement (and thus feats) more significant...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
*sigh* I suppose that is the literal reading.

Yup.

Since the save feats also use the word "bonus" I suppose they, too, are out.

Yup.

Note that a bonus via a spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability - via a Divine Feat, say - can be added to your mount's saves via Share Spells.

-Hyp.

The Souljourner

First Post
base saves are base saves. Sorry guy. However, I do think it's more than reasonable to allow Magical Beast progression for a paladin mount, given that they are fairly weak besides.

-The Souljourner

Artoomis

First Post
Adding in Divine Grace to the mount's saving throws is not unreasonable, but not core rules.

Perhaps a custom feat could allow this, or a prestige class. In fact, I like the idea of a prestige class for the paladin that focuses on advancing the mount and keeping it alive and effective at the cost of, say, advancing spell casting for the paladin.

As for the mountd combat feats (all of them), it's almost a no brainer to take them if you intend on any significant level of mounted combat.

smetzger

Explorer
Lord Pendragon said:
I also considered trying for a flying mount. But the hippogriff looked woefully fragile, and the griffon did as well, when compared with the other mounts attainable at its level. I'd love to have a flying mount, but not if it's going to die on me, particularly while I'm airborne!

Horseshoes of a Zephyr

Lord Pendragon

First Post
smetzger said:

Horseshoes of a Zephyr
That's a good idea I'll have to remember! :)

Btw, does anyone know the rule on resurrecting animals? Do they lose a point of Con? Nothing? If the mount could be raised with little or no detriment to the animal, I wouldn't mind it dying as much. But if it loses Con each time, thus becoming even weaker than when it was killed....:rolleyes:

Endur

First Post
If you don't multi-class and you give your mount barding, he should probably survive.

I mean the mount will probably have comparable hit points and ac to the Paladin.

Saving throws won't be as good, but the mount has improved evasion.

I think the DOTF mounts really increase survivability, Celestial Mounts, Dire Wolves, Giant Eagles, Dragons, Unicorns, etc.

Tom

Lord Pendragon

First Post
This is good to hear. I think that, based on what I've heard here, my paladin will get himself a celestial heavy warhorse at 6th-level (he's 3rd right now) along with the Mounted Combat feat, to allow him to help the mount's AC further with his Ride skill. I may try and get Ride-by Attack as well, though we'll have to see how often I'm allowed to use the mount in actual combat.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Pax

Banned
Banned
Lord Pendragon said:
*sigh* I suppose that is the literal reading. I had been hoping that, given the nature of the Divine Grace ability, it might count as an actual addition to saves, rather than an unnamed bonus. Since the save feats also use the word "bonus" I suppose they, too, are out--even though they would seem more in the vein of the ability raises gained by level (as in non-magical, simply-part-of-the-PC-ish).

This only makes the suggestion about asking the DM to allow magical beast advancement (and thus feats) more significant...

Femal Half-Elven paladin. Leadership feat, and a Unicorn mount/cohort. Let the Unicorn (since it gets a half share of XP) gain a level (or more) of Paladin, itself. *poof* it gts a big boost to saves (Unicorns have a racial average of 24 Charisma ...).

Masters of the Wild also has several animal-oriented magic items. a Collar of Resistance would make sense, IMO. Or you could borrow form Savage Species, and get a Necklace of Natural Weapons for the mount. Turn it's hooves into <i>Holy Avenger</i> weapons, lol (+5, Lawful, Holy).

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Pax said:

Femal Half-Elven paladin. Leadership feat, and a Unicorn mount/cohort. Let the Unicorn (since it gets a half share of XP) gain a level (or more) of Paladin, itself. *poof* it gts a big boost to saves (Unicorns have a racial average of 24 Charisma ...).
Well, my paladin is a 32-year-old ex-priest (non-cleric) who lost his young wife and new baby to bandits, so I won't be able to go the unicorn route. But you've given me an idea I never even considered before. DoTF has instructions for using Leadership to gain a dragon cohort (at ridiculously high level, of course) but I'd never considered using Leadership to make a non-dragon into a combo Mount/Cohort. That, more than anything else suggested, would certainly improve the survivability of the mount. It would also mean the mount would get a share of the party's treasure, so it's equipment would not be such a drain on the paladin's own resources... I also like the idea of the paladin's mount having levels in paladin. It makes sense that a holy knight have a holy steed. Hmm...

I wonder if a portion of the cohort's levels could be used for a template? Taking a celestial heavy warhorse (at 6th-level) then using Leadership to make it a Half-Celestial, with a level or two of paladin.... Does that sound legal? My paladin has an 18 charisma, so I believe at 6th-level, he can have a 5th-level cohort...
Masters of the Wild also has several animal-oriented magic items. a Collar of Resistance would make sense, IMO. Or you could borrow form Savage Species, and get a Necklace of Natural Weapons for the mount. Turn it's hooves into <i>Holy Avenger</i> weapons, lol (+5, Lawful, Holy).
Heh. Somehow I get the feeling that this item is out of my price-range. :D I may have to find someone who has SS, though, just to see what other animal goodies are in there...

Remove ads