Pathfinder: Burnt Offerings [Recruiting closed. Party Selected]

hewligan

First Post
Many thanks for the updates. We actually have someone for each slot now, but I did say I would leave this open until Saturday. However, given the response, I am going to truncate that to Midnight Thursday 1st November, so if you are thinking of submitting a character and have been ruminating on it, get moving!

Starting money - please use the average from page 111 of the Player's Handbook for your class, so in short:
Sorcerer: 75gp
Fighter: 150gp
Cleric: 125gp
Barbarian: 100gp
Rogue: 125gp
etc.

Remember you get a free set of clothing :)

hewligan

First Post
Rhun - a new church is being dedicated, with a new priest (Father Zantus) taking over. You are most likely to have been sent to observe the dedication, even if you are from another (good) religion. In truth, Sandpoint is not exactly a sprawling metropolis, so sending a rather junior cleric to attend the ceremony is all that would be expected. Heck, you may even not really want to be there.

Frostrune - Jokad looks very good, and an excellent back story. There are, of course, 2 damage dealer entries at the moment, but yours is the only one fleshed out at the moment.

Fenris - a good hearted troublemaker ... I know lots of guys who fit that category from back home, and all that they ever needed was something to focus their energies on. I am sure young Jovik wouldn't be such a bad lad if he had something to channel his energies into, right! Right???

Friadoc - your guy is basically done at the moment. I won't spend the energy to proof-read his technical bits until the submission is closed, but at a glance looking very complete.

All - please see my notes above in post 1 (in dark red), 6, and 11. Starting gold is listed, free feat from the free PDF is mentioned, and shortening of open call is mentioned.

Thanks all for the submissions so far. Hopefully we will be started a bit sooner than originally planned. It is just as well, because the goblins are coming!!!!!!!

Rhun

First Post
hewligan said:
Rhun - a new church is being dedicated, with a new priest (Father Zantus) taking over. You are most likely to have been sent to observe the dedication, even if you are from another (good) religion. In truth, Sandpoint is not exactly a sprawling metropolis, so sending a rather junior cleric to attend the ceremony is all that would be expected. Heck, you may even not really want to be there.

Perfect! What deity is the church being dedicated to?

I'm currently leaning toward Sarenrae...

hewligan

First Post
Rhun said:
Perfect! What deity is the church being dedicated to?

I'm currently leaning toward Sarenrae...

Sandpoint Cathedral is being dedicated to the worship of the 6 most commonly worshiped deities in the region, effectively being 6 shrines under 1 roof. Sarenrae has one of the 6 shrines dedicated to her worship. The new priest of Sandpoint, Abstalar Zantus, is a worshiper of Desna, but is an open-minded man and acts as an adviser across all faiths.

Friadoc

Explorer
hewligan said:
Friadoc - your guy is basically done at the moment. I won't spend the energy to proof-read his technical bits until the submission is closed, but at a glance looking very complete.

All - please see my notes above in post 1 (in dark red), 6, and 11. Starting gold is listed, free feat from the free PDF is mentioned, and shortening of open call is mentioned.

Thanks all for the submissions so far. Hopefully we will be started a bit sooner than originally planned. It is just as well, because the goblins are coming!!!!!!!

Thanks, hewligan, I'll get him finished out, especially with the starting gold pronouncement (I need to drop some various stuff, so it'll work out).

Anyhow, I really like how things are fleshing out, I like how the local cleric is of Desna, fits with my guy just fine. :cool:

Now I'm off to pick-up a coat, score some food, and hide from the halloweeners. ;)

Rhun

First Post
Rhun's Level 1 Cleric - In progress, but mostly done!

Danth Brinfield, favored of Sarenae

Danth is a handsome, slender young man some six feet in height, and weighing perhaps 12 stone. His body is muscular and athletic, and he walks easily under the weight of a suit of polished bronze scale mail armor. Although not particularly of fine make, the armor is crafted so that each scale looks like a wavy flame, a tribue to his goddess. He has bright blue eyes set in a fine-featured, and a shock of wild, bright red hair...unusual in one of Varisian heritage. Danth dresses in loose, comfortable travelling clothes. His wooden shield bears a painting of Sarenae's symbol upon it.

As a follower of Sarena, Danth is a warm and compassionate fellow. He is often found sharing the doctrine with others, touching upon the finer points of compassion, redemption, and honesty. Still, he realizes that not all respond warmly in the face of compassion...in those situations, Danth is certainly capable of responding with force.

The young Danth hails from the city of Magnimar. As an orphan whose parents died of disease, Danth was lucky enough to find a place for himself within the church of Sarenae. Indeed, some believed him favored of the goddess, due to his unusual flame red hair. His potential was quickly recognized, and soon enough he found himself a place among the clerics of the church, slowly learning the ways of the Dawnflower.

Most recently, the High Priest of Sarenae approached the young cleric, and asked him to attend the dedication of a new church in the small town of Sandpoint. Danth accepted the assignment, looking forward to the chance to get out and see some of the world. His fairly short trip from Magnimar was uneventful, as has been his stay in Sandpoint, thus far...

Neutral Good Human Male
Cleric 1
XPs:

Stats
Str 14 (+2) (6 points)
Dex 12 (+1) (4 points)
Con 14 (+2) (6 points)
Int 10 (+0) (2 points)
Wis 14 (+2) (6 points)
Cha 12 (+1) (4 points)

General
HP: 10
AC: 17 (10 base + 4 armor + 2 shield + 1 dex)
Initiative: +1
Move: 20' (30’ base)

Combat
BAB: +0
Melee: +2
Ranged: +1

Morningstar +2 (1d8+2)

Saves:
Fort: +3 (2 base + 1 con)
Ref: +4 (0 base + 1 dex + 3 feats)
Wil: +4 (2 base + 2 wis)

Skills:
Concentration +5 (4 ranks, +1 con)
Diplomacy +7 (4 ranks, +1 cha, +2 feat)
Heal +4 (2 ranks, +2 wis)
Knowledge (religion)+1 (1 rank, +0 int)
Spellcraft +1 (1 rank, +0 int)

Languages:
- Common
- Varissian

Feats:
- Lightning Reflexes
- Spell Focus: Conjuration
- City Born (Magnimar) - Free Varissian Feat

Class Features:
- Aura
- Spells
- Spontaneous casting ("cure" spells)
- Turn Undead
- Domains:
--- Healing (Healing spells are cast at +1 caster level)
--- Sun (Greater turning 1/day)

Racial Features:
- Bonus feat
- Bonus skill points

Spells per Day
- Level 0: 3
- Level 1: 1+1+1

Arms, Armor and Equipment:
Scale mail 50gp 30lb
Shield, heavy wooden 7gp 10lb
Morningstar 8gp 6lb
Spiked gauntlet 5gp 1lb
Sickle 6gp 2lb
Crossbow, light 35gp 4lb
20 bolts 2gp 2lb
Holy symbol, wooden 1gp -
Traveler’s Clothing - Worn
Backpack 2gp 2lb
- Bedroll 1sp 5lb
- Lamp, common 1sp 1lb
- Oil, 6 pints 6sp 6lb
- Sacks, 2 2sp 1lb
- Waterskin 1gp 1lb
- Holy symbol 1gp -
Pouch, belt 1gp 0.5lb
- Chalk, 3 pieces 3cp -----
- Flint & steel 1gp -----
- 3gp, 9sp, 7cp - 0.19lb

Encumberance: 72lb (Medium)

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik is mostly done and up. What type of Humans are in Sandport? That will dictation appearance. And I'll flesh out the background a bit more most likely, but that gets the bones up at least.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Wow! Good thing I caught this in time. I have been wanting to join into a Pathfinder game. Here is my submission for a Varisian cleric.

[sblock=Mandraiv's Stat Block]
MANDRAIV
Old male human cleric 1
NG humanoid (human)
Age 55
Height 180 lbs.
Weight 5’ 11”
Init –1; Senses Listen +3, Spot +3
Languages Common, Goblin, Thassilonian, Varisian
AC 14, touch 9, flat-footed 14
hp 8 (1 HD)
Fort +2, Ref –1, Will +5
Speed 20 ft. in scale mail (4 squares), base movement 30 ft.
Melee morningstar +0 (1d8)
Base Atk +0; Grp +0
Special Actions turn undead 4/day
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 1st):
1st—2 + domain
0—3
Deity: Desna. Domains: Luck, Travel
Abilities Str 11, Dex 8, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 12
SQ
Feats Skill Focus (Knowledge [history]), Spell Focus (enchantment), Varisian Tattoo
Skills Concentration +4, Diplomacy +4, Heal +6, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (religion) +5, Knowledge (the planes) +5, Profession (fisherman) +5, Spellcraft +5
Possessions combat gear plus scale mail, light wooden shield, morningstar, adventurer’s kit (PH2), silver holy symbol of Desna, fishhook, fishing net, block and tackle, 15 gp[/sblock]

[sblock=Mandraiv's Background and Personality]
Mandraiv the wise, known to most folk in Sandpoint as Mandraiv the hermit, has lived a full life. He once spent a great deal of time traveling up and down the coast with a band of performers serving as their wiseman and seer when the need arose. However, his traveling days have come to an end. Though his heart still beats with wanderlust, his creaking old bones tell him perhaps it is time to retire. Were it not for a bit of rheumatism that causes him to move a little slowly, he would still be wandering the lands with his band. He has spent the last two years in Sandpoint living in a crudely built shanty just outside of town and making a quiet livelihood fishing. He occasionally hosts visits from Varisian relatives but mostly he lives secluded and alone. His wife died at the youthful age of 23 giving birth to their first son, who died of fever at age 2. He never remarried.

Inside his shanty within a battered old chest lies his armor and morningstar. He once wore them for protection whenever his old traveling band went down dangerous roads, but he rarely needed it. He has kept it because a part of him still hopes it might someday be put to good use. As a priest of Desna, he was taught to use them in defense of liberty, but he was never given the opportunity to serve such a pious duty. Even now he wonders if there might still be hope.

His body is tattooed in the traditional Varisian fashion and he takes his culture very seriously. He makes daily prayers to Desna in the traditional fashion and recognizes many spirits in the land that serve a variety of purposes. Perhaps the most interesting thing about him is his love of old tales and legends. He has traveled Varisia for many decades and has picked up history lessons in every place he has visited. He is only too happy to regale a visitor with fantastic stories of heroes and magic in times long past. He is good-natured, if not a bit piteous for his now-sedentary life when he clearly wishes he was still traveling with his troupe. His one wish is that before he dies, he might have an opportunity to serve some great deed for the Song of Spheres so that his own story might one day be worth telling.
[/sblock]

hewligan

First Post
Recruitment is now closed. I will cogitate and deliver my chosen party today. Many thanks to all for submitting such excellent concepts!

hewligan

First Post
Thank you all for submitting characters. There were two roles with two entries, and deciding between what have been excellent submissions was very, very difficult.

For the damage dealer role I am going to have to go with Jokad over Dolan here simply because his character fits better with the adventure and offers me more opportunity to develop plot hooks that hang off of him.

Redclaw - that you very much for taking the time and effort to submit Dolan. I am sure that his travels will carry him on to places where his strong arm are better needed. If you don't mind I would like to put you on hold so that if someone drops out or is unresponsive I can PM you and see if you are still interested before reopening the recruitment.

For the damage healer role I found it painful to choose. I had pretty much selected Rhun's character, Danth, in my head, and then airwalkrr comes along like a ninja, sneaking in a backstab at the last minute with one of the best character concepts I have ever seen.

So in the end we have 5 characters, because I just couldn't select between the clerics. We have 2 clerics, and that is the way it is. I shall adjust up some encounters a little to make up for the extra player, and it is my expectation that we may see someone drop out or die anyway :]

So here they are, our 5 intrepid adventurers (or 4 intrepid adventurers and 1 old geezer):

"damage dealer": Jokad (frostrune), Shoanti, barbarian
"damage healer": Danth (Rhun), Human, cleric
"magic monkey": Kael Saern (Friardoc), Human, sorcerer
"skill monkey": Jovik (Fenris), Human, rogue
"old geezer": Mandraiv (Airwalkrr), Human, cleric and borderline pensioner

Fenris - young Jovik needs some work. Have a look at the short free Pathfinder players guide I linked to in my first post and select a racial type, feat, etc.
FrostRune - you have done a great job on Jokad. I shall review his stats properly and let you know of any changes, but at a glance he looks very good.
Rhun - again, all I need to do is review him, but he looks very complete.
Friardoc - ditto - an excellent concept.
Airwalkrr - I don't know what this is: adventurer’s kit (PH2). PH2??? Otherwise, loving the old fellow, but need to check whether you used the point buy only, or used age bonuses and penalties to abilities. I shall check over the weekend.

Let us hope they all live long lives and develop to their fullest talents.

Please post your characters in this thread for posterity and review. I will check over them in depth this weekend and respond there. This thread is effectively closed now, so please use the character one now, and then we will open a game thread (hopefully soon) and a new OOC thread to mirror the game one.

Again, thank you all for your effort. An excellent little party for me to throw into the maelstrom!

Remove ads