• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDFs of books I own

I have the 3 reprints of the 1E core books. I'd love to have a portable version in PDF format so that I could easily refer to them when I don't have access to the physical books. Where would I be able to get them? I don't think I'm asking for anything illegal, since I already own the physical copies.

I've read that some people do have PDF copies here on the board, but I believe that WOTC never released any PDFs?

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
WotC did sell pdf's of most all of their books previously. Mostly through RPGNow.com. So those that have pdf's of them very well may have acquired them legally.

But technically, even though you own hardcopy versions of the books, downloading pdf's of them now still wouldn't be "legal" (since there are no legally available pdf's of WotC books currently available).

Also, anybody providing links to such here, or uploading pdf's for others to download, are against ENWorlds user rules.

I know it sucks, but them's the rules...:(

The only current "legal" option you have, would be to cut the books apart and scan them yourself. Something I, and I'm also assuming you, would be loath to do.

Sorry.

Last edited:

The legality of it also depends on where you live. Canadian laws allow format changing, so you can take music from CDs you own and put them on an iPod. That same law could apply to books, changing from physical to digital. But likely only if you did it yourself.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
My understanding is that El Madhi is correct.

If you're interested in learning more, I would suggest you type your question into google and you'll probably find links to the many times this question has been discussed before on the Internets.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, you have to find some method of making your own PDF's. You are allowed to make your own copy of books you own. Just remember, if you ever sell the books, you must get rid of the PDF's as well.

I know it sucks, but them's the rules...:(
Definately understand. I'm not interested in getting anyone in trouble or anything. Therefore, I will retract my inquiry, and mods may do with this thread as they wish. :)

Yep, got it already. :) Good stuff.

WotC is allegedly going to start selling PDFs again starting next year.
I will have to check into that then. Just sucks that I'd have to pay for my books twice.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
WotC is allegedly going to start selling PDFs again starting next year.

Yeah. I don't exactly when they're going to start this again, but they have confirmed they are going to start providing books in electronic format again.

However, they haven't explicitly stated whether it will be pdf's or not. All they've said is it will be a format with which people are familar with...

Also, it's not going to be all previous edition books all at once. They've said they are going to release them in waves, with each wave including publications from each edition of D&D.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
As long as you don't intend to distribute the PDFs you might create, it's a simple matter to digitally scan your 1e books, page by page, and export to PDF format. You do have the books right? While many chain graphics shops like Kinko's might not be willing to let you scan published works, you can either scan them yourself, or find a friend with a full page scanner and get to working on it. You'd also require some kind of page layout software or the full version of Adobe Acrobat to accomplish this - but it's no big deal. Even easy really.

Remove ads