• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PDFs of books I own

tvknight415

Explorer
You'd also require some kind of page layout software or the full version of Adobe Acrobat to accomplish this - but it's no big deal. Even easy really.

I'm not so sure you would need something specific. I've got an Epson CX4200 3-in-1 and the scanning software will generate a pdf (at least, that's what mine is doing whenever I scan work stuff). Of course, given how long it takes to scan 10-15 pages, I don't think I'd want to attempt a 100+ page book.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm not so sure you would need something specific. I've got an Epson CX4200 3-in-1 and the scanning software will generate a pdf (at least, that's what mine is doing whenever I scan work stuff). Of course, given how long it takes to scan 10-15 pages, I don't think I'd want to attempt a 100+ page book.

Ah, but I run a graphics shop, and have a high speed full color scanner, that scans 300 dpi from letter size sheets placed in a document feeder. I can scan a 100 page book in about 2 minutes. It depends on what you have access to, as to how you'd do anything.

Treebore

First Post

You know, the law does not specify how you go about creating a PDF copy of a book you own. The law just says you can create a digital copy of what you do own in print. At least in the US. I haven't gone over the copyright laws of other nations. I did read through the UK's once. I don't recall what it says about creating digital copies of what you own.

Treebore

First Post
Ah, but I run a graphics shop, and have a high speed full color scanner, that scans 300 dpi from letter size sheets placed in a document feeder. I can scan a 100 page book in about 2 minutes. It depends on what you have access to, as to how you'd do anything.

I need to visit you. I have a 2E PH and Monster book that the spines have come apart on. So if I finished cleaning that off of them it would be easy to run off an OCR copy at your shop.
What would you charge for that? Just doing an OCR image, not printing?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I need to visit you. I have a 2E PH and Monster book that the spines have come apart on. So if I finished cleaning that off of them it would be easy to run off an OCR copy at your shop.
What would you charge for that? Just doing an OCR image, not printing?

Well, once you have completely removed the cover and binding edge, having just loose sheets, I normally charge to scan and OCR at $.75 per page, but I can give you a 'gamers' discount and maybe charge $ .25 per sheet (or other predetermined price - send me an email to find out). I have the full version of Acrobat, which can be set to automatically OCR scanned documents - I would send you your originals back, plus both a PDF version and an OCR'ed .DOC file at the same cost, plus shipping.

Gamer Printshop
1532 E US Highway 6
Ottawa, IL 61350

freerpgmaps@gmail.com

jefgorbach

First Post
Agree with Treebore ...
US copyright states you may have an electronic version of your purchased book for PERSONAL use. It does NOT state YOU must do the scan/conversion yourself thus -DOWNLOADING- it from someone else should be legal.

It's UPLOADING thats illegal since you cant control/ensure receivers already own purchased copies.

You do have the books right?
I do indeed own all 3 books, else this thread would not even exist.

------
You know, the law does not specify how you go about creating a PDF copy of a book you own. The law just says you can create a digital copy of what you do own in print. At least in the US. I haven't gone over the copyright laws of other nations. I did read through the UK's once. I don't recall what it says about creating digital copies of what you own.

Agree with Treebore ...
US copyright states you may have an electronic version of your purchased book for PERSONAL use. It does NOT state YOU must do the scan/conversion yourself thus -DOWNLOADING- it from someone else should be legal.

It's UPLOADING thats illegal since you cant control/ensure receivers already own purchased copies.
This is good information to know. As it is, I'm able to enjoy reading the OSRIC at work (freely downloadable), whereas it's a bit less efficient to drag my core books to work, and have them open on my desk.

I think the best option (I'm not interested in destroying my books for the sake of good copies), in order to keep anyone from doing anything that could be considered illegal, is to wait until the electronic version of the books is released.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads