Pendragon d20?

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Another book to take a look at for an effective approach to low-magic, high intrigue and swordplay approach to D&D is AEG's Swashbuckling Adventures. (I can't seem to stop plugging this book!)

Although intended for a setting later than the typical D&D mileu (Late Renaissance, Enlightenment), it's filled with rules that would work well for a setting like this, including:

Magic-less Paladins, Rangers, and Bards.

A "subtle-magic" caster (The Witch), much more appropriate to such a setting.

Appropriate non-magical classes (Courtiers, Noblemen, Assassins)

A non-magical cleric (The Inquisitor)- although somewhat based around hunting down magic users, with some slight modifications it could fill other roles.

Loads of prestige classes for swordfighting styles.

Hundreds of feats, many of which would be appropriate to any D&D setting (some of which would be especially appropriate for creating a non-spellcasting "divinity" system, such as Faith, Miracle Worker, and Blessing). In addition, there is also the Arcana feat system, which sounds like it could be a good replacement for the passions system.

Called shot, limb loss, and dramatic critical rules.

For low-magic adventuring, this book HAS IT ALL.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Maerdwyn said:
Might Occult Lore have something we could use for a magic system?

Does anyone have the book?

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=Simon+Collins&product=occ89

Yes, I have it. We nominated it for an ENnie. I also mentioned it above.

Simon Collins mentions in his review that the Geomancy section would be good for a Pendragon-like game. I agree. I also think that Alchemy & Herbalists is also a good resource for such a game.

However, I think that some people want want something that doesn't really need much in the way of game mechanics, as far as a magic system for a Pendragon d20 conversion is concerned.

If spellcasters are made to be less powerful than fighter-types when it comes to melee, then there is no point in going beyond what early editions of Pendragon said to do when it came to magic - it's purely the province of the DM. No hard rules are needed; the DM simply decides the effects. There would be no point to do otherwise; if a wizard or sorceress has to rest for days after using a few spells, then he or she would be useless as a PC. I suppose some would find enjoyment in roleplaying such a character, but would probably tire of being overshadowed in every single combat the party engages in. Plus, if I was in that party, I'd probably tire of protecting such a character and dividing treasure and XP with him or her, just so they can toss some relatively weak or nebulous spells every so often.

Further, magic, if it's going to be for PC use, needs hard rules. While the thought of a system that somehow retains a mysterous air to it is appealing, the fact that we need to quantify it to keep the game fair necessitates hard rules. That's the nature of d20. Something like Ars Magica's system seems appropriate, but that's a game in which the wizards dominate. They don't dominate in Pendragon.

So, the gist of all this is - if you want spellcasting PCs in Pendragon d20, you'll have to use a system that uses hard rules for magic - like the D&D rules. Call of Cthulhu's magic system, or a variant of it, would also work well, but that system is not an integral part of a class' power. If a CoCd20 PC doesn't get spells to use, he or she is still going to be balanced against the other PCs. So why not use CoCd20 rules for PCs? Because CoCd20 characters are weaker than their D&D counterparts. It doesn't seem to fit with the Pendragon milieu. I guess you could devise a Pendragon spellcaster using the CoCd20 rules, and keep the D&D fighter-types, but you'd again have the weak PC in a party that is quite a bit more capable than him or her.

So what would I do? One of two things - either disallow spellcasting PCs in such a conversion, or use one of the d20 systems mentioned - of course, I'd simply use what I suggested above in my other posts. But, that's just me. Tastes vary.

Hedge Knight

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I like Pendragon a lot.

I'm in the process of converting it to a game about George R.R. Martin's A song of Ice and Fire series, and I think it's a good fit.

I too have toyed with the conversion of Pendragon to ASoIaF, and would love to see what you come up with. This system seems like it was made for Martin's series...

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Two Points

I think Pendragon for GRR Martins setting is an excellent idea.

Secondly,

Has anyone else done anything with traits and passions? I have been toying with this idea for a while. I think DnD, with Cthullu Magic and Mythos, and Pendragon Traits and Passions would make for a VERY interesting setting.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Katerek said:
Two Points

Has anyone else done anything with traits and passions? I have been toying with this idea for a while. I think DnD, with Cthullu Magic and Mythos, and Pendragon Traits and Passions would make for a VERY interesting setting.

Yeah. Scroll further up this thread to Maerdwyn's post where he outlines his system.

Hedge Knight

First Post
"A Song of Ice and Fire"

This is a series of books by George R R Martin, so far there are 3 books:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords

the 4th book is due out next year (A Feast for Crows), it is IMHO the best fantasy series out there (other than Tolkien of course)...

It is very low fantasy so far, with alot of court intrigues and knightly warfare. The chapters are from different character's points of view. Martin is not afraid to kill off characters either...

Check out www.westeros.org for more info and they have a Concordance there with an abundance of information...

:) okay enough of my fanboy rambling....

Remove ads