• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PlaneJammer: Sailing the Astral Sea

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Have you ever played the Online MMORPG Pirates101? In it the player becomes captain of a flying ship sailing the Skyways around the Spiral (Universe) where different worlds float like islands and Enemy ships and dangerous creatures lurk around every corner. The game has multiple skyways accessed via Stormgates (and microtransactions), with each Skyway having its own themes (ie they are essentially different Planes) and are mostly level-gated too
1625603405365.png

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
We are leaning toward crew of a smuggling ship masquerading as a legitimate trading and salvage vessel, with players each having a primary PC (mid rank crew) and a side PC (lower rank red-shirt) in order to avoid the "Star Trek" problem of the command crew always going planetside.

I picked up the 4E book and there is definitely stuff in there I will steal. My own Astral Sea will be lousy with broken world islands and weird anomalies. I am going to grab Skycrawl next.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I always loved that travel in the astral, in prior editions, was powered by thought. Having 'navigators' who only think of the destination, consulting planar charts to imagine paths around the cosmic debris, linked to the planejammer like a symbiote, sounds cool to me.
Of course, having ships full of angels powered by hymns sung by Devas and triremes of hell powered by the misery of lemurs, Inevitables doing complex computations, and Slaad being like WH40K orks just believing and planeshifting from point to point is cool too.
I think borrowing elements of the Phlogiston for the Astral would be good, not portals but super-fast currents that travel to distant objects. Essentially hyperspace.

I always loved that travel in the astral, in prior editions, was powered by thought. Having 'navigators' who only think of the destination, consulting planar charts to imagine paths around the cosmic debris, linked to the planejammer like a symbiote, sounds cool to me.
Of course, having ships full of angels powered by hymns sung by Devas and triremes of hell powered by the misery of lemurs, Inevitables doing complex computations, and Slaad being like WH40K orks just believing and planeshifting from point to point is cool too.
I think borrowing elements of the Phlogiston for the Astral would be good, not portals but super-fast currents that travel to distant objects. Essentially hyperspace.
It does sound cool, but I personally found it doesn't really work since PCs replace physical stats with mental stats, and it kind of skews everything. I think that would work well in a campaign where the PCs went into the astral just for a session with their silver cords and then came back to the material plane. But for a planejammer kind of thing it got too confusing.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
It does sound cool, but I personally found it doesn't really work since PCs replace physical stats with mental stats, and it kind of skews everything. I think that would work well in a campaign where the PCs went into the astral just for a session with their silver cords and then came back to the material plane. But for a planejammer kind of thing it got too confusing.
I wouldn't link it to the mental stats of the PC. Give the ship the stats, so that no matter the pilot it is the same. You can have a rogue modron jump on the helm and argue esoteric law to get you where you are going or have Night Hag pilot it using convoluted contracts. The navigator is like a spark plug to fire the engine of the ship.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I wouldn't link it to the mental stats of the PC. Give the ship the stats, so that no matter the pilot it is the same. You can have a rogue modron jump on the helm and argue esoteric law to get you where you are going or have Night Hag pilot it using convoluted contracts. The navigator is like a spark plug to fire the engine of the ship.
My intent is that the engines will be specific and it takes a special vehicle proficiency to fly any given type of 'jammer helm.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd probably make the ships run on tech rather than something a PC or NPC has as an ability. I like Jim Butcher's vision of this in his novel Aeronaut's Windlass, where the ships run on big aether crystals and 'firearms' run on smaller ones.
My group’s Space Fantasy! setting does that, though we don’t get into the weeds. My Islands World setting is a bit more specific, and I’m working on an Aeronaut Artificer subclass that specializes in flight, energy weapons, and recharging magic items. Like the Armorer, they’ll eventually gain bonus infusions, because I’m also building “ship infusions” and basically treating ships as characters, which gain more infusions as they level, and have certain Emplacements for things like guns, improved maneuverability thrusters, sails, quick burst speed boosters, improved shield, etc.

loosely inspired by Cinder Spires

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
My group’s Space Fantasy! setting does that, though we don’t get into the weeds. My Islands World setting is a bit more specific, and I’m working on an Aeronaut Artificer subclass that specializes in flight, energy weapons, and recharging magic items. Like the Armorer, they’ll eventually gain bonus infusions, because I’m also building “ship infusions” and basically treating ships as characters, which gain more infusions as they level, and have certain Emplacements for things like guns, improved maneuverability thrusters, sails, quick burst speed boosters, improved shield, etc.

loosely inspired by Cinder Spires
I do think I will make ships into creatures a la the Avernus infernal machines. To what degree they are alive or sentient might vary by faction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads