• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PlaneJammer: Sailing the Astral Sea

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Again, I'll give props to Jim Butcher. He has the size, age, and quality of the aether crystal powering a ship as the mechanism for sentience. It works really well, at least as fiction. Translating that to an RPG is, of course, another whole thing.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm trying to figure out what to do with clerics and other divine casters in this setting/campaign. It feels like the traditional D&D view of gods just doesn't work in a planar campaign. How did Planescape handle it?

jgsugden

Legend
I recommend "all of the above".

When Spelljammer was introduced way back when, I moved them to the Astral sea and ignored the Crystal Sphere concept. They've been a part of my campaign world (although rare) for decades now, and I have a variety of different ships, propulsion, etc...

Many folks go with ships made by a confederation of dwarven smiths that have a 'moon' that orbits my equivalent of Sigil (which is also in the Astral). Those vessels work on science, not magic, whether using Astral Sails, steam jet propulsion, rockets, and the newest invention that swept the verse - rail propulsion (hollow tubes launched like a rail gun towards a target and then pulled into their goal with magic).

Others have propulsion systems based upon the old Spelljammer books, Eberron designs, Psionics, sledding (pulled by creatures of the Astral Sea that move fast), etc...

Some are built like trains, some like sailing ships, some like alien creatures, some like spaceships, etc... One legendary vessel is the body of a brain dead god.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm trying to figure out what to do with clerics and other divine casters in this setting/campaign. It feels like the traditional D&D view of gods just doesn't work in a planar campaign. How did Planescape handle it?
I would probably treat that issue with benign neglect.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Planescape still had clerics but their spell level varied depending on how far away they were from their Diety’s Plane (as counted on the Great Wheel) , there were also plane specific changes to different spell types
I’d ignore them though you could use the Dis/Advantage mechanic to simulate something.

Clerics have a strong hook in Planescape since as direct representatives of their god they are Agents in Planescapes divine politics

Last edited:

If I played a cleric in an astral campaign, I would want to be one of the last worshippers of a dead god, wanting to find its corpse and resurrect it. Same with villainous clerics

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
EDIT: What 3rd party 5e fantasy non-WotC species/races/lineages would be cool to include in a PlaneJammer campaign?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads