• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PlaneJammer: Sailing the Astral Sea

werecorpse

Adventurer
Yep, sorry. I like the idea of the Astral as having a space/the oceans vibe I’m just looking at using your ideas for my game so I’m prying into how you see it working.

Reynard

Legend
Yep, sorry. I like the idea of the Astral as having a space/the oceans vibe I’m just looking at using your ideas for my game so I’m prying into how you see it working.
I have never liked the idea that it was purely a realm of thought. I like it better as a Kirby-esque cosmic sky full of planetoids and nebulae and, obviously, inhabited god corpses. Plus I think the whole spelljammer aspect works better if it is a "sea."

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
What are folks' favorite sea going campaign references that I can adopt to sailing the Astral Sea. Stuff with rules for boats and naval combat and trading, etc...

weedenbc

Villager
Late to the party on this thread, but has anyone found any naming conventions or ideas for githyanki astral ships? I'd like to add one to a current 5e campaign but haven't come across anything about naming conventions.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Late to the party on this thread, but has anyone found any naming conventions or ideas for githyanki astral ships? I'd like to add one to a current 5e campaign but haven't come across anything about naming conventions.
My own game briefly involved some githyanki astral ships, and I had the following names:
Venomous Spite
Defiant Slash
Silver Fang
Hateful Strike

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Get the 4th edition astral sea books. Also collect the Iomadra articles from Chris Perkins.
Where would one find these? A quick search doesn't reveal much.
Also look at the random sector generation stuff from Traveller, I often wish there was something similar for planar locations or places in the astral sea. Or for places in a fantasy sea.
You could cobble something together from the various hex generators, I'm sure. Shoot for the more weird end of the spectrum and throw in the Traveller random generators for good measure. Hmm...that might be a fun project.

Remove ads