[Planescape/Gestalt] Coils within Coils

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Our Current Cutters:

ByteRynn - Halidon, the Blade, Male Human Fighter 5 & Rogue 3/Monk 2, Cipher

Ferrix - Magnus of Sigil, Male Human Fighter 5 & Binder 5, Unaffiliated

Dog Moon - Saelya - Female Hafling Rogue 5 & Shadowmancer 5, Indep

Nonamazing - "Master" Ronthias - Male Zenythrii Cloistered Cleric 5 & Monk 5, Cipher

Kafkonia - Aki the Unchained - Male Neraphim Rogue 5 & Scout 5, Indep

Shayuri - Mei-Ying - Female Human Favored Soul 5 Sorceror 5

Bloods in Waiting:

Rayex - Crozixia - Female Trumpet Arcon & Fighter

Aereas - Drognan - Male Githzerai Monk 5 & Soul Knife 5

Amazing Triangle - Estrella Mong - Female Wu Jen 5 & Sorceror 5

[sblock]
Your first sensation on waking is olfactory, acid smoky and grapefruit sweet like a fine cognac. Then the less subtle, slow working scent penetrates you, a chocking rot that crawls into your lungs, white fetid rats receding from a sinking ship. You try to lift your arms to block the stench but your arms are tied tight behind your back, you try to stand but realize your feet are bound to someone elses, sitting on your rear end in a heap of rot. Wincing against the putrid air you open your eyes into the face of a leering gith creature, who sucker punches you on the ear. You return quickly to injury inducded sleep.

. . .

Hours pass and you once more become dimly aware of your surruondings. The last thing you remember is falling asleep in that sleepy hinterlands town after a feast in your honor. You find yourself in a dimly lit room with the rest of your companions, and nothingn not even yourself, seems familiar. You have tatoos and peircings with no idea how they got there, some of you find your faction symbols missing, new gray hairs and wrinkles cover places were only yesterday strong and youthful. A full assessment of yourself leaves you with only two possible explanations. Either you've been drug here in the night and magically aged, or you've been struck by amnesia. Perhaps your companions have some answers...?[/sblock]

I'm looking for 4-6 players for two Post Faction War Planescape games, the first is PS light and could be called more of a test game, The second is a large scale game of cat'n'mouse, combat, and horror. Players for the second game will be selected from those who play the first, though exceptions are possible.

Players must be able to post once a day, any long absensce must be alerted ahead of time. After three days without a post and with no notice, your character will be NPC'd until such time as it meets a gruesome end, & I'll start looking for a new player to fill your slot.

Game #1, Beast of Burden

The first game is a module straight out of Dungeon Magazine, you'll be tracking a collossal beast through the Tir Na Og forest and then brining down it and it's inhabitants before it can destroy more of the Celts domain.

Game #2, The Abyssal Campaign

Will begin two years after Beast of Burden, the catch is that you wind up in the scene above and no memory the two years following your escapeds in Tir Na Og.

[sblock]
Character Creation Rules
-Starting Level will be 5th level Gestalt (Unearthed Arcana) special rules will be available for those using LA and/or Savage Species characters, you have 13,000 gp to spend on equipment. Ghestalt is ability point expensive, so you'll start with a 40 Point buy, as usual no stat may be over 18 before level and racial ability bonuses)
-HP rules: First level is maximum, and for later levels you may roll your HP on Invisible Castle http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py place the game title (Coils within Coils) on the note section. Use either the roll or 1/2 your class's HD.
-Evil and Chaotic Neutral characters are less likely to be included, but not ruled out entirely. If I think you can play it intelligently and without disrupting the group there's a chance I'll allow the character.
-No leadership, no cohort or follower granted abilities.

Sources Allowed:
[sblock]-Anything from SRD
-Unearthed Arcana (exception of flaws and traits system)
-Tome of Magic
-Races of Destiny
-Eberron CS, Sharn: City of Towers, Magic of Eberron, Explorers Handbook*
-Dragonlance CS*
-Manual of the Planes
-Planar Handbook
-Planescape 3rd Edition http://www.planewalker.com/downloads/products/released.php
-Arms & Equipment Guide
-Complete Warrior, Arcane, and Divine
-Green Ronin's Avatar Handbook (updated to 3.5)

Allowed under scrutiny
-Books of Exalted Deeds & Vile Darkness
-Oriental Adventures (modified to 3.5)
-Dragon Issue #'s: 284, 287-289, 305, 306, 309-318, 323, 339
-Fantasy Flights Sorcery & Steam
-Fantasy Flights Cityworks
-Complete Adventurer (material used must be E-mailed to me)
-Savage Species (material used must be E-mailed to me)
-Players handbook 2 (material used must be E-mailed to me)

Books not allowed
-Magic of Incarnum (I don't own the book)
-Most of the double caster Prs Classes (such as Mystic Theurge)

*Campaign specific material will be changed to be more in line with Planescape
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

House Rules
-Rangers have d10 HD and fighters get d12's. Fighters get 4+int skill points/level and get to select 3 free class skills (excepting use magic device)
-Actions Points will be used http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm
and awarded for good roleplaying
-Incanataions http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm can be used by NPC's and/or PC's. Feel free to develop your own and post the mathmatics along with your character for my approval.
-Level Adjustments and Racial Hit Dice will be handled uniquely. Although these may be doubled with a class level as a normal ghestalt level, doing so detracts points from your initial point buy by a ratio of 4 points for every 1 LA. Playing an Aasimar (LA 1) would give you a starting Point buy of 36 rather then 40, while a half-celestial would bring you down to a point total of 24. LA buyback will not be offered.
-Free Faction feat: To further stimulate faction roleplay I'm giving everyone a free 2nd level feat. The catch is it doesn't count towards feat prequisites unless it's a faction feat. So if you're in the Transcendant Order and take Cipher trance as your 2nd level feat, you can later use this feat to apply for improved cipher trance or other feats. However taking power attack as your free 2nd level feat, while possible, would not fufill the requirements for getting great cleave. These same rules applly to faction prestige classes (from dragon magazine and the Planar HandbooK) and normal prestige classes as well. Please list your free 2nd level feat seperate from your primary feats on your character sheet.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Yay! Planescape!

It's been a long time since I've seen a planescape game here and the last one I was in died sadly enough.

While I have the Tome of Magic I haven't spent a great deal of time perusing it so far. From my first perusal Binder's seem the most interesting with Shadowcasters a close second, however the Truename system seems to have too many bugs to be workable.

I'll get back to you with a concept :)

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Steve Gorak said:
I definitely want in!
I'll write up a concept and post tonight.
Thanks and cheers,

SG

cool, lookin forward to it.

Ferrix said:
It's been a long time since I've seen a planescape game here and the last one I was in died sadly enough.

While I have the Tome of Magic I haven't spent a great deal of time perusing it so far. From my first perusal Binder's seem the most interesting with Shadowcasters a close second, however the Truename system seems to have too many bugs to be workable.

I'll get back to you with a concept

I know what you mean, the multiverse is getting increasingly harder to see in online play.

I know what you mean about Tome of Magic, all of the classes contained have initial problems. Such as the Binder needing faster access to binding multiple vestiges, the Shadowcasters general lack of power, and the Truenamers ridiculous scale of utterances. These issues will be adressed if you or anyone else decides to run one.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Oooh, Gestalt Planescape. I'm sure you'll have plenty of people trying to get into this game. Like me!

First initial thought is Shadowcaster/Rogue with the Rogue going into Fatemaker. Thinking maybe I'll go ranged, but I might just do melee [not entirely sure yet, might do a little bit of both]. I should have my character by tomorrow, but I'll be leaving soon, so I can't do it now.

You said the first game is going to be PS light, right? Are our characters still going to know about Sigil and the different factions which exist there?

Shayuri

First Post
Miau! Must...not...people will think I'm...some kind of junkie...nnngh! Planescape's pull...too STRONG! Must...JOIN!

Strongly worded concept to follow. Thanks!

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Dog Moon said:
Oooh, Gestalt Planescape. I'm sure you'll have plenty of people trying to get into this game. Like me!

First initial thought is Shadowcaster/Rogue with the Rogue going into Fatemaker. Thinking maybe I'll go ranged, but I might just do melee [not entirely sure yet, might do a little bit of both]. I should have my character by tomorrow, but I'll be leaving soon, so I can't do it now.

You said the first game is going to be PS light, right? Are our characters still going to know about Sigil and the different factions which exist there?

Exactly, I'm hoping that with the quanity of intrest I get I can work in some of the best quality posters.

What's the Fatemaker from?

Your characters shouldn't be clueless. The first game will be PS light as far as tone and feel is used. You'll be out in the backwoods of the planes, so it'll be cant light and faction light etc, but your characters should have a decent understanding of the planes and how the cosmos works.

Kafkonia

First Post
I'm in like Flynn.

My first choice is (of course) a Neraphim Rogue/Scout gestalt. I will e-mail you the Scout information when I have the chance.

Remove ads