• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Planescape/Gestalt] Coils within Coils

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Dog Moon said:
Fatemaker is The Fated faction's PrC. It's in the Planar Handbook.

Ah, that's right. Go for it.

--

Every one remember that character concept, and how linked your character is to the rest of the party, will be the strongest determining factor of whether or not you're included.

Kafkonia

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
Every one remember that character concept, and how linked your character is to the rest of the party, will be the strongest determining factor of whether or not you're included.

With that in mind, here is a fluff piece about...
Aki the Unchained
a Houseless Neraphim

The tumult of Limbo roiled around him, a neverending storm of chaos that would only grow worse as he moved from his clan's home.

His former clan, he reminded himself. His former life.

No matter. It wasn't the life for him -- a life of naught but subsistence, of the unending monotony of struggling to survive in this anarchic wasteland. He knew there was more to be had, and more worlds to explore. He had seen glimpses of them in his brief travels away from the clan. The travels that had cost him his home.

He shrugged his pack onto his knobby red shoulders and headed into the madness.

----

Aki the Unchained never quite fit in with the other Neraphim. While his fellows would try to suppress their chaotic nature to survive in Limbo, Aki was more of a loner and a free-thinker. He made excellent contributions to his clan as a hunter, but he had an unorthodox style that made the other hunters uncomfortable.

(Rogue/Scout vs. Ranger, the Neraphim's favoured class.)

Eventually the personality clash grew too much, and he was exiled from his clan. Normally a devastating turn of events, Aki took it in stride -- he had met a few extraplanar travellers in his time, and the thought of travelling from his home plane fascinated him.

Since then, he has been travelling and adventuring, and he's recently fallen in with a band that seems much more suited to his temperament than his extended family ever was.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
I will definitely posting a concept for this game, two possible concepts I'm working with is a Necropolitian Dread Necromancer / Archivist, or an Aasimar Warlock / ?

What are your thoughts on allowing Necropolitians (Undead from Libris Mortis) into your game, if it's a definite no no, then I'll go with the Aasimar Warlock concept.

Thanks

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
The bit of background looks good so far Kaf.

Lord_Raven88 said:
I will definitely posting a concept for this game, two possible concepts I'm working with is a Necropolitian Dread Necromancer / Archivist, or an Aasimar Warlock / ?

What are your thoughts on allowing Necropolitians (Undead from Libris Mortis) into your game, if it's a definite no no, then I'll go with the Aasimar Warlock concept.

Thanks

I would need more information about the race before I allowed it, as I don't ahve Libris Mortis. Mechanics and fluff both.

Kafkonia

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
The bit of background looks good so far Kaf.

Thanks. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular to be added on.

I've wanted to play Aki since I got my Planar Handbook. :)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
I would need more information about the race before I allowed it, as I don't ahve Libris Mortis. Mechanics and fluff both.
Okay Necropolitan is an undead template that can be applied to any humanoid or monstrus humanoid.

Type: Changes to Undead
Hit Dice: Change to d12's
Special Qualities:
Resist Control: +2 Profane bonus vs attempts to control Necropolitian.
Turn Resistance: +2 to resist Turn Undead checks.
Unnatural Resilence: Recover hit points like a living creature, heal skill has no affect, negative energy heals wounds.

Abilities: Same as base creature, but no Con score.
Level Adjustment: +0, Becoming a Necropolitan involves losing a level so the advantages of the undead are cancelled out.

As this is a Gestalt game, perhaps a +1 LA would balance the template out, as losing a level on both side of the Gestalt classes would be quite tough.

~~~~

Basically the above character would be part of the Athar faction, with the following advancement.

1 Dread Necromancer / Rogue
2 Dread Necromancer / Rogue
3 Dread Necromancer / Monk
4 Dread Necromancer / Monk (Necropolitan +1 LA)?
5 Dread Necromancer / Rogue

6 Dread Necromancer / Ur-Priest
7 Dread Necromancer / Ur-Priest
8 Dread Necromancer / Ur-Priest
9 Dread Necromancer / Ur-Priest
10 Dread Necromancer / Ur-Priest

Firstly since he believes that the Gods are liars and are mearly powerful mortals, he underwent the Crucimigration ceremony which turned him into a Necropolitan, in the hopes that he will never die, and thus never be judged adversely by the Gods for his beliefs (I'll assume he is from the Forgotten Realms setting and thus doesn't want to spend eternity in the wailing wall). Secondly he's heading toward the Ur-Priest PRC, as he likes the irony of being able to steal a small portion of the divine power from the Gods to enable him to cast Clerical spells, after all the Gods are nothing better than liars and thieves themselves who use the power to control the followers and steal their devotion to enable them to survive.

I picture him as being part of a small fringe movement within the Athas Faction, who choose to embrace undeath and delight in thwarting the efforts of the Divine whenever possible. Also I picture him as being absolutely terrified of dying, willing to do anything to avoid being destroyed.

He would be Lawful Evil so he'll always keep his word and try to adhere to a contract etc, and I'd be basing his actions on the 'End Justifies the Means' type of evil, so he actually believes that what he is trying to do is for the overall benefit of everyone in the multiverse, after all you can't make a cake without breaking a few eggs, thus he'd happily destroy all the worshippers of a particular deity, just to prove that everyone is being mislead by the Gods. So despite he alignment he'd actually go out of his way to help others, especially if that will help them see the truth about the Gods.

On adventures he would be useful due to his ability to control undead they encounter, as well as being able to use his undead minions to act as meat shields for the group, also he could act as a secondary scout as he will focus his monk and rogue skills of subterfuge and sneaking.

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
As this is a Gestalt game, perhaps a +1 LA would balance the template out, as losing a level on both side of the Gestalt classes would be quite tough.

~~~~

Basically the above character would be part of the Athar faction, with the following advancement.

1 Dread Necromancer / Rogue

Given that you don't actually gain a LA when you become a Necropolitan, I'm willing to just go with the reducded PB, though your lack of having a constitution to spend points in reduces your total point buy to 34. The level loss and LA aren't needed.

I'm also going to need an e-mail or PM of the Dread Necromancers spell list and abilities, since I don't own Heroes of Horror either.

I like the idea of an Ur-priest Athar, and yours seems workable within the context of the party, espescially given Planescapes large gray area with regards to where alignments stand. I'll wait to see what everyone else comes up with before giving you a final go though.

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Since I said I'd be tinkering with the ToM characters, here's the first change/

Dog Moon said:
First initial thought is Shadowcaster/Rogue with the Rogue going into Fatemaker.

I'm giving shadowcaster bonus Mysteries based on Intelligence, they have simply too few mysteries per day to be an effective casting class. That looks to be about the only really neccessary change to the Shadowcaster to make it balanced.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
Given that you don't actually gain a LA when you become a Necropolitan, I'm willing to just go with the reducded PB, though your lack of having a constitution to spend points in reduces your total point buy to 34. The level loss and LA aren't needed.

I'm also going to need an e-mail or PM of the Dread Necromancers spell list and abilities, since I don't own Heroes of Horror either.

I like the idea of an Ur-priest Athar, and yours seems workable within the context of the party, espescially given Planescapes large gray area with regards to where alignments stand. I'll wait to see what everyone else comes up with before giving you a final go though.
Thanks for that, since I had already assigned 2 points to his before death con (as I'm not a munckin) all of the above works out fine.

If you let me know you email address I'll send you the required info, I've extracted the info into bitmaps, otherwise I'll finish off my Necropolitan character and submit it shortly.

All I need to do is figure out how I can get 5 ranks in Knowledge (The Planes), which is a cross classed skill, by level 5 to qualify for Ur-Priest by 6th. :D

Last edited:

nonamazing

Explorer
I'd also like to try for a spot in this game--I'm a big fan of Planescape.

The Zenythri seem interesting to me. I'd like to play a somewhat older male Zenythri monk ("The Master") who at one time operated a small but well-respected martial arts dojo in Sigil. After being challenged (and defeated) by a mysterious opponent using a bizarre chaotic martial arts style, 'The Master' closed down his dojo and vowed that he would only re-open it once he had found a way for his highly ordered style to overcome the raw unpredictability of chaos. He now wanders the far planes, searching for those rare few who can actually teach him.

I see 'The Master' as being a wise and insightful mentor-type, his wisdom having allowed him to move away from the smug superior attitudes common to many others of his race. Still, he wouldn't be exactly friendly--he believes the best way to help others is to challenge them to the limit fo their abilites, and he would be fond of impossible zen-like koans and brutally tough training routines.

I'd like for him to be a member of the Transcendent Order, probably taking the Cipher Trance feat. His classes would be monk (with the passive way variant) and cleric (with the cloistered cleric variant and maybe the spontaneous divine caster variant as well). I'll come back with a detailed character sheet later on.

Remove ads