• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player Characters are not fiction characters

lukelightning

First Post
Wow, my first D&D character ever really got powerful!

Zaron was the name of my first D&D character ever, way back in first edition. He was a magic-user...who knew that he would become the overlord of Central Earth!

WanderingMonster said:
FICTION

He stood over the Fissure of Fate, knowing that once he cast the One Ruling Bracelet into its all-consuming void, that Central-Earth would once again be free from the tyranny of Zarron.

GAME

"So what? We're supposed to toss this thing in to the pit now? Lame! Dude, if this Z-guy wants the bracelet so badly, you know he's got to be in a very giving mood right about now. Now get that Seeing-Stone thingy he likes to use and we'll have a chat with Big Bad Whatshisface."

Theron

Explorer
Fiction: The heroes are brought before the villain. The group's weisenheimer shouts out an insult. The villain shoots him a wicked glare and shouts, "Silence, dog!".

Gaming (true story): The heroes are brought before the villain. The group's weisenheimer shouts out an insult. The villain shoots him a wicked glare and shouts, "HUSH!...You...fellows...

mythago

Hero
Ha ha! I wisely put my coffee mug down before reading this thread.

Fiction:

The agents advanced carefully down the rickety basement steps, flashlights and standard-issue handguns at the ready. At the bottom of the staircase was a rough cubic rock, the size of a television set, with a small notebook resting on it. Agent Torvald picked it up and frowned at the strange, three-armed sign printed on the leather cover. "Wonder what this is?" he muttered, and opened the book....

Gaming:

Player #1: A book? I'm NOT reading it! I'm not even LOOKING at it!

Player #2: Me either. Can we pick it up without looking at it or touching it with our hands?

Player #3: I think I saw some fireplace tongs upstairs--let me go get them.

Player #1 If he moves the book, I'm sprinting up the stairs.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
FICTION (tv)
Scolder and Mully enter the spooky and dangerous building in the pitch black of night with only their pitiful torches, which create dancing shadows everywhere and don't reveal anything

GAME
Scolder and Mully look for the light switch.

Numion

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
FICTION (tv)
Scolder and Mully enter the spooky and dangerous building in the pitch black of night with only their pitiful torches, which create dancing shadows everywhere and don't reveal anything

GAME

I've always wondered about that. Why didn't sculder and mully get some real flashlights?

s/LaSH

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
FICTION (tv)

GAME

You can flip this around.

GAME
"You enter a dark room, the light of your flaming torch flickering off the walls."
"I cast Light, in case the torch goes out."
"And I check the oil in my lantern."

FICTION
The heroes enter a dark room. Inexplicably, there is a dull ambient light that reveals the rough shape of the room; no matter how far from the torch-bearer a hero goes, he or she is still perfectly lit. (Ain't cinematography wonderful?)

Dark Helmet

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
FICTION:
"Not so fast, Mr Blond" says the villain. A guard with a loaded crossbow steps round the corner, and Mr Blond surrenders... for now.

GAME:
"Not so fast, Mr Blond" says the villain. A guard with a loaded crossbow steps round the corner. Mr Blond goes straight in for the attack anyway, knowing that even on a crit the crossbow can't kill him.

As James Blond lays straped to the styling chair...

Blond: "So, Blow-Dryer, do you expect me to talk?"

Blow-Dryer: "No Mr Blond. I expect you to DYE!!!"

:D :D :D

Airwolf

First Post
Dark Helmet said:

As James Blond lays straped to the styling chair...

Blond: "So, Blow-Dryer, do you expect me to talk?"

Blow-Dryer: "No Mr Blond. I expect you to DYE!!!"

Ouch!
brick.gif

Last edited:

Remove ads