• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pop-up ads?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I've never seen an ad float across my browser when I've been on EN World, but it's happened twice today when loading new pages. The ad seems to be for Clorox, and it takes me to <http://www.c2stainstories.ca/>. It's not that I object to the content, but I'd rather not have those pop-up types of advertisements. Is this from google, and can it be turned off? Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nothing we've done! It's probably worth running a malware check in your PC - you might have accidentally picked something up. Bu we don't run popups.

freyar

I guess I should clarify; apparently this is technically a "hover ad" since it's showing up in the EN World window itself.

As for where it's coming from, I don't think it's on my end: (1) this particular ad has only shown up on EN World; (2) it's on 2 distinct computers; (3) both are running linux (very little malware around) and seem clean according to rootkit scanners. I'll keep checking though and will watch if this happens again. I wonder if no one else has seen this.

Alarian

First Post
Starting yesterday I'm getting them too. There are key words in most posts now that are underlined and when my mouse goes over the words, an add pops up. It's only happening in Chrome. When I check with Firefox and IE there are no ads. I've checked my extensions and I don't have odd or new apps running so I'm not quite sure where it came from. It's only happening on this site.

Weird.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Starting yesterday I'm getting them too. There are key words in most posts now that are underlined and when my mouse goes over the words, an add pops up. It's only happening in Chrome. When I check with Firefox and IE there are no ads. I've checked my extensions and I don't have odd or new apps running so I'm not quite sure where it came from. It's only happening on this site.

Weird.

Keywords such as what? What ads are popping up?

Alarian

First Post
A quick example is in this post:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/327246-flgs-research.html

All the ads are from a company called Text Enhance.

On the first line the word "entrepreneur" brings up a popup ad about making money working at home.

In the third paragraph the words "the community" brings up an add for becoming a Social Worker. When I clicked on the link, it took me to this site Social Worker

The ads, at least for me are only in the first post of each thread, but there is at least 1 and up to 4 links in each of the first threads I just checked (checked about a dozen just now).

Here is an example:
Screenshot.jpg

freyar

That's interesting. Definitely the same type of advertisement I was seeing, but I haven't seen any since I first posted this thread. And I'm not getting the ads from hovering on the words you mention in the FLGS Research thread.

As mentioned before, I'm running linux, Firefox 14.0.1.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This really, honestly, is not something we're doing. I don't know what else to say! I'm not getting any popup ads, and I've not heard of "text enhance". It's gotta be your end!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads