• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Popular Campaign Settings

Which is your personal favorite campaign setting

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Eberon

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 48 8.2%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Other TSR/WotC setting (explain below)

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • Other 3rd Party Setting (explain below)

Votes: 85 14.6%

Depending on what mood I'm in...

Ravenloft.
Al-Qadim.
Dark Sun.
Dawnforge.

Honorable mentions to Planescape, Scarred Lands, and (if the setting lives up to the promise I've found in the book so far) Eberron.

I could add others, but they're not published yet. ;)

Dragonlance would have to be the only game available before I'd play in it. Nothing against those who like it, I'm just not all that crazy about it.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
Birthright is my favourite fantasy setting overall, but Scarred lands is my favourite 3rd Ed one. Unfortunately I tend to end up as a player in Forgotten Realms, as that's what most stuff is published for and what my DM's pick up. When I run its Scarred lands or Birthright, I've never run a game in the FR unless it was as a DM for a convention game.

Oh and you deserve a slap for having Birthright as (other TSR) while giving Spelljammer gets its own section. ;)

Last edited:

You need Ravenloft on that list. And a few others, too (Mystara, for example).

I voted for Eberron, because I am all psyched over the new book; it rocks, but also because of all these settings (aside from Ravenloft) it's the only one on my collect-and-play list, and I have a vibe about it which I haven't felt since my Planscape/Spelljammer days.

My top five list:
1. Eberron
2. Ravenloft
3. Planescape
4. Spelljammer
5. Diamond Throne (AU)

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Having not seen Eberron yet, I don't really have an opinion on it. But I have high hopes based on what I've heard.

My favorite D&D campaign setting is Forgotten Realms, followed by Planescape, followed by Warcraft, followed by Greyhawk.

Zappo

Explorer
Give Planescape some time, and the loneliness will disappear. ;)

I like Planescape because it's an exotic setting, centered on roleplaying and not on monster bashing. "A PLANESCAPE campaign is not about beating up Thor and taking his job, or about eliminating every baatezu there is. It's not a power trip, where characters are supposed to fight the toughest, baddest, and biggest beings around. If the DM is running the campaign that way, he's missed the point. Go back and read the sections about tone and feel again." (Sigil and Beyond).

Acid_crash

First Post
Eberron is the world for me. It's the world I've been waiting for since I started roleplaying D&D a few years ago, and it's the world that best fits my style of playing.

Thanee

First Post
Forgotten Realms.

It's an interesting world with lots of flavor and huge amounts of background material (some of that is even free!). I like to have descriptions of countries and cities and so on, which I can base campaigns on instead of having to reinvent everything over and over again. This way, I can focus my attention on the more important parts and do not have to waste time thinking up all the background which never gets used then in full detail or otherwise is not detailed enough when specifics are needed.

If you don't make too much noise about all those super uber NPCs, it's also a fairly reasonable power level (for heroic fantasy, that is).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads