• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Popular Campaign Settings

Which is your personal favorite campaign setting

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Eberon

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 48 8.2%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Other TSR/WotC setting (explain below)

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • Other 3rd Party Setting (explain below)

Votes: 85 14.6%

Peskara

Explorer
Where's the love?

I voted "Other TSR/WotC Setting" for Al-Qadim!

Awesome setting. It's hard to sell something like that nowadays where everything from the core rulebooks has to be included otherwise you're seen as exclusionary and "limiting the players' fun". They managed to get some of that with OA, but it was too Rokugan-centered for my tastes.

Right now, Midnight. But I've had great amounts of fun with Planescape. Greyhawk would be my sentimental favorite, although it's been years since I played there. Also had some very enjoyable short excursions into Al-Qadim. Dark Sun, and Birthright.

I never really cared for the Realms, despite playing there the most, probably. And I disliked Dragonlance rather intensely, although to be fair I abandoned it after its initial (DL1-14 or whatever), and never looked at any later stuff.

I don't understand the current fascination with Eberron, unless its a normal reaction to the shiny and new. I can't imagine putting anything -- book, movie, song, whatever -- on my all time favorite list after only being exposed to it for a week.

Last edited:

Scharlata

First Post
adembroski3 said:
[...]post an explanation of your experiences and what types of settings the gamers you meet like.

Mystara rules! :)

Ever since the publication of the Gazetteers by Bruce Heard I liked the Original D&D default setting the most and since the release of the Poor Wizard's Almanacs I liked Mystara even better.

Kind regards

DARKSUN

Always has been.

I just got Eberron which gives me a Torg feeling from waaaaaay-back which once I begin to play it a bit I'm sure it will be at the least second favorite.

Rawwedge

First Post
adembroski3 said:
I don't want this to seem too much like I'm one of those 8 year olds that starts posts just to start posts, which I'm sure this type of a thread can seem like. I'm quite serious... I really would like to guage the relative popularity of the various published settings.

I'm more or less curious as to weather the impression I get from gaming magazines are true. It seems like Forgotten Realms is king, Greyhawk is little brother, and the rest are just begging for table scraps... but when I meet and talk to gamers, things like Ravenloft and Dragonlance come to the surface.

Don't just vote... post an explination of your experiences and what types of settings the gamers you meet like.

When I started gaming in 1st edition, ages ago, my gaming circle was strictly into homegrown settings. We didn't even use modules. Now that I have rediscovered the game in 3rd edition, my new circle of gamers are completely devoted to the Forgotten Realms. I like it just fine but I know little of the other settings so I cannot compare very well.
I'm working on a homegrown of my own to give my buddies a second campaign and I'm enjoying that prospect. I tend to be old fashioned and favor settings steeped in the meat and potatoes sword and sorcery environment. If there are twists and new elements then I like them to be based on the core themes that we are all so familiar with.
That means that I personally would never go near an Ebberon style setting that introduces technological flavor for example. (I hate those pesky gnomes and their contrivances! ;) )
-Rawwedge Son of Molok (1st edition Dwarven Fighter)

Trickstergod

First Post
What in the world is Eberron doing on that list, yet not Ravenloft?

Or for that matter, the Scarred Lands?

Nothing against Eberrron, but it's been out all of...less then a month for most people?

I've also a number of opinions on Spelljammer and just why Ravenloft should most certainly be there over it, but, no need to do that now...

Anyway, my favorite setting, even if it's been diminishing bit by bit over the past year, is still the Scarred Lands.

Planescape and Ravenloft also bear a special place in my heart.

Oh and man I'm tired.

Midnight!

How in the world could I ever forget Midnight?! Gah!

Definitely way up there.

Last edited:

suburbaknght

First Post
Ravenloft

My favorite setting is one my friend and co-GM Justin and I came up with affectionately referred to as the "No Gnomes Game" (the Gnome's homeland blew up about a hundred years ago). My favorite published setting, though, is Ravenloft. Guess it's just the English major in me.

Remove ads