• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Popular Campaign Settings

Which is your personal favorite campaign setting

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Eberon

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 48 8.2%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Other TSR/WotC setting (explain below)

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • Other 3rd Party Setting (explain below)

Votes: 85 14.6%

Khairn

First Post
In order Iron Kingdoms, Harn and then Birthright would be my favorite settings.

The reason for my choices is consistency and "logic" of each of these settings that help provide them with a superior sense of realism/immersion. FR, GH, and most of the other settings on your list just dont have the flavor I'm looking for.

Yair

Community Supporter
Right now, my vote will go to Birthright. I think that, as a D&D setting, it just has everything coming together out exceedinly well - nobility is divine blood and translates into real powers, the elves have very good reasons to keep the land 'natural' and pristine, the fallen dark god's blood is still a curse upon the earth and his nightmares border on reality, churches get power from faithful and monarchs from subjects, politics are heavily ingrained in the setting...
I don't like that its cultures are based too strongly on real-world cultures, but I can live with that.

Another favotire is Midnight - an excellent setting. I don't really like the rules, though, or the overly-oppressive gameplay expected. I was pleasantly surprised with the depth of the Diamond Throne setting, some interesting play on history and races there. I also like the concept behind Oathbound. I like Blue Roses's setting, Aldis, even though everyone else seems to hate it.

The traditional fantasy settigns (FR, Greyhawk, Mystara) do little to me, they are just too bland (although Greyhawk I consider far better than FR, which is too much of a patch-job) - but they work well as a generic backdrop. I liked planescape's attempt at bringing some philosophical depth to the setting, but detested the rest of it. I likewise detested Spelljammer, even more. I find Dark Sun tried too hard to be different, although it has some good ideas. I find Eberron to smack too much of modernity for me. I likewise don't like other modern or sci-fi settings, like Star Wars or ones joining fantasy and modernity like Dragonstar.

Of non-d20, I very much like ars magica's setting, Mythic Europe, especially in its current (fifth edition) incarnation. But a big part of that is probably just because I like ars magica. I also like Nobilis' setting, a very interesting idea I'd like to explore some day.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Birthright, of which I agree with Yair's assessment.

There are other created worlds I would rate more highly, but for actual D&D settings, nothing comes close really. Dark Sun is fun, mind you. :)

kikai

Explorer
For sure it's

1. Eberron
2. Greyhawk
3. Dragonlance

Honorable mentions to

Midnight
Scarred Lands
Iron Kingdoms
Conan
Thieves World
Dark Legacies
WarCraft

I'd like to play in grim'n'gritty settings, but as a DM I prefer high fantasy with some gritty elements.

Best regards,

kikai :)

Thalas

First Post
I have voted for the Forgotten Realms. It's the best and interesting setting that I know. After the FR my favourite setting is Planescape. In our campaign, we played with a lots of Planescape stuff (like infinitife staircase or paladin in hell). We haf many Planescape impressions in our Fr campaign, but the "Home" ar always the woderfull Realms :)

Beginning october, i have bought the Eberron setting and have read it....hmmmm.....a few interesting aspects and nice ideas, but the world als hole is not for my. When I will drive with a train, I go to the underground station in my city and play not RPGs ;-)

paz

First Post
Another vote for Birthright. I think it would've been far more popular if it'd been the second or third campaign setting released for AD&D 2E, rather than the twenty-seventh (or so...)

irdeggman

First Post
echo above for Birthright.

Really it should have been on the poll list (it was the last setting introduced by TSR afterall and should get some kind of nod for that).

After that I go with Dark Sun and then Eberron.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads