• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

fuzzy

First Post
Note: This is my first PrC so it's probably broken. Criticize away
Pheonix Disciple

Many monks model their fighting styles after an animal. Some have developed a style based off of the Pheonix. A few have

taken that to the next level and used their knowledge of Ki to duplicate some of it's mystical powers. The greatest find a

form of imortallity through rebirth.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Pheonix Disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
BAB: +4
Feats: Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed)
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 7 ranks
Abilities: Ki Strike (magic)

Class Skills
The Pheonix Disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con),

Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion)

(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Sile
ntly (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
Table: Pheonix Disciple

Level   BAB  Fort  Refl  Will  Special

1st    +0    +2    +2    +2   Monk Abilities, Fire Resistance 5
 2nd    +1    +3    +3    +3   Flamelance 1/day
 3rd    +2    +3    +3    +3   Flaming Shroud 1/day
 4th    +3    +4    +4    +4   Fire Resistance 10
 5th    +3    +4    +4    +4   Blows Alight
 6th    +4    +5    +5    +5   Flamelance 2/day
 7th    +5    +5    +5    +5   Fire Resistance 20
 8th    +6    +6    +6    +6   Blows Aflame
 9th    +6    +6    +6    +6   Flaming Shroud 2/day
10th    +7    +7    +7    +7   Pheonix Rebirth, Flamelance 3/day

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the Pheonix Disciple prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Pheonix Disciples gain no new proficiencies in weapons or armor.

Monk Abilities: Pheonix Disciple levels stack with monk levels for the purpose of Stunning fist uses, slow fall, unarmed damage (but not flurry of blows), ki strike and AC bonus

Flamelance (Su): At 2nd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Scorching Ray effect at a caster level equal to his character level. He may do this twice per day at 6th level and three time per day at 10th level and once more every fourth level thereafter.

Flaming Shroud (Su): At 3rd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Fire Shield effect on himself at a caster level equal to his character level. He may do this twice per day at 9th level and once more every 6th level afterwards.

Blows Alight (Su): At 6th level, the Pheonix Disciple's fists seem to to glow red when in combat. He deals additional fire damage on his unarmed attacks equal to half his Wisdom modifier, rounded down.

Blows Aflame: At 8th level, the Pheonix Disciple's fists burst into flame when in combat. He deals additional fire damage on his unarmed attacks equal to his Wisdom modifier, rounded down. On a critical hit, his opponent is lit on fire unless they suceed on a Reflex save (DC 10+class level+Wis)

Pheonix Rebirth: At 10th level, a Pheonix Disciple ascends into a state resembling the creature he emulates. He is forevermore treated as an outsider(native,fire) rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the Disciple’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the Disciple gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. The transformation also causes a pair of flame-red, feathered wings to emerge from the Disciple's back, granting a fly speed of twice the Disciple base land speed with good maneuverabily. Also, the Disciple ceases to take aging penalties, and while he still dies when his time is up, he is automatically reincarnated as a young adult of his own species.

Multiclassing: Monks can multiclass freely with Pheonix Disciple.

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
I've never created a PrC so I'll let other comment on the abilities. One question I don't see addressed: Can a monk freely multi-class with this PrC?

Bront

The man with the probe
fuzzy said:
Requirements
To qualify to become a Pheonix Disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Before I comment on anything else, I think these reqs are a bit light. Basicly 1 knowledge skill (While a bit uncommon, not nessessarily unreasonable skill for a monk to have) at 7 ranks, a 4th level ability, a feat they get for free at 1st, a very synergystic feat for a monk, and a BaB they get at 6th level. So it takes no effort to get into by 6th level.

Now, why not KN: Planes at 4 ranks? Studying the origin of the Pheonix

Drop the Weapon Focus, doesn't seem to fit the class. Neither does Stunning Fist.

Now, what else to add? I'm not sure. Animal Affinity seems somewhat appropriate given it's a "animal style" of martial arts, but still doesn't feel right. It almost feels like there needs to be either have some sort of arcane casting required, or perhaps the Energy Manipulation Feat that's been proposed.

Now, as far as the rest of the class, while It's interesting, I think it's overpowered, but I realy need more time to break it down before I'd have suggestions for fixing it. \

The Reincarnation bit I like, but some of the wording bugs me, particularly because it's vague in exactly how it works. If the monk goes to -10 and dies, does he instantly reincarnate? Also, since his species has changed with his type, what exactly does he become? Aren't there some flight details like maneuverablilty missing?

Scorching Ray ability bugs me a bit, since it seems a bit unmonk like and fairly powerful as a spell like ability.

Some of the monk abilities that stack seem a bit arbitrarily thrown in.

Basicly, there's not a very monkish/martial artist feel to the class, as much as it's more a become a pheonix class that only a monk can be. I'll think on it and post more later.

Velmont

First Post
Ok, Here a few comments.

As you said, my first impression is Strong!

The first thing you must tell yourself is at the maximum level of the class, what you have lost taking that path and what have you gain. Monk PrC are the harder to evaluate, but I'll try to make some suggestion:

fuzzy said:
Requirements

Feat: Endurance, DieHard
Abilities: Wholeness of Body

Diehard is a feat in flavor with the Phoenix, as you have mastered your body to survive hard blow. And both those feat represent a true cost to this path. A nice sacrifice I think.
Wholeness of body. You must learn to regenerate your body before trying to revive it. That will only slow down the first level by 1 (now you can take your 1st level at 8th, not 7th), and I find it more in flavor too.

fuzzy said:
Monk Abilities: Pheonix Disciple levels stack with monk levels for the purpose of Stunning fist uses, slow fall, unarmed damage (but not flurry of blows), ki strike and AC bonus

I wouldn't add the Slow Fall and Ki Strike. Those are abilities, it is not things that have his own progession table. I would forget it. If you want to gain them, add them to your class description. I don't see the sense of Ki strike, but Slow fall seems ok.

fuzzy said:
Flamelance (Su): At 2nd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Scorching Ray effect at a caster level equal to his PrC level. He may do this twice per day at 6th level and three time per day at 10th level and once more every fourth level thereafter.

Flaming Shroud (Su): At 3rd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Fire Shield effect on himself at a caster level equal to his PrC level. He may do this twice per day at 9th level and once more every 6th level afterwards.

I would add this little modification. PrC level, because a monk are not spelcaster, and so it is new to them the use of such power.

fuzzy said:
Pheonix Rebirth: At 10th level, a Pheonix Disciple ascends into a state resembling the creature he emulates. He is forevermore treated as an outsider(native,fire) rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the Disciple’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the Disciple gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. The transformation also causes a pair of flame-red, feathered wings to emerge from the Disciple's back, granting a fly speed of twice the Disciple base land speed with good maneuverabily. Also, the Disciple ceases to take aging penalties, and while he still dies when his time is up, he is automatically reincarnated as a young adult of his own species.

Ok, that's a big gain. But it is for that you are seeking the path of the Phoenix. For flavor, I'll add that the body is consumed by fire. This fire act as a FlameShield (Warm Shield) and stay there as long as it take for the reincarnation to happen. That will prevent a cleric to come to your help by using a True Ressurection (well, he can be willing to take damage :p )

Ok, with those changes, it seems more close to something balance wit the MOnk class, but as I said, I think it is the class the hardest to create PrC for.

El Jefe

First Post
fuzzy said:
Also, the Disciple ceases to take aging penalties, and while he still dies when his time is up, he is automatically reincarnated as a young adult of his own species.
I interpret this to mean that a 10th-level PD who is slain in combat is really, truly dead, does not auto-reincarnate, but can be raised by the usual means as could any other character. I also interpret that to mean that a 10th-level PD who reaches his age bingo limit goes up in a big ball of flame, but comes back as a young adult of whatever species he was before reaching 10th level. What makes this interesting is the level loss of reincarnate. If the character had just reached 10th level as a PD, then he comes back as a human (or elf, dwarf, hafling, etc.) PD of 9th level (plus whatever levels he had in other classes). No problem. But if he takes additional levels past 10th level as a PD, I'm not sure what he comes back as. Theoretically, he loses one level past 10th level PD, so he's still at least a 10th level PD. Does he come back as a young adult human (or whatever) and then immediately transform back into an outsider?

Velmont

First Post
El Jefe said:
I interpret this to mean that a 10th-level PD who is slain in combat is really, truly dead, does not auto-reincarnate...

Havn't read it like that, but now you tell it, it is the signification of the sentence. That seems less broken, a lot less.

Knight Otu

First Post
Velmont said:
Havn't read it like that, but now you tell it, it is the signification of the sentence. That seems less broken, a lot less.
I 've read it the same way as El Jefe. I'd like to know if that is fuzzy's intention, though.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Requirements

These prereqs, as has been noted, are far too weak; nearly any monk will be able to enter this class. As above, I recommend Knowledge (the planes) as a prereq, with anywhere between 4 and 7 ranks required. I would also go along with Velmont and say that Endurance and Diehard would be appropriate feats.

Class Skills
The Pheonix Disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Swim does not fit this prestige class, IMO. Other than that, it looks alright to me.

This is just too much. You're giving this PrC a good number of benefits, but without enough drawbacks. I'd say get rid of a few of these; I would agree with Velmont's opinions on these.

Flamelance (Su): At 2nd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Scorching Ray effect at a caster level equal to his character level. He may do this twice per day at 6th level and three time per day at 10th level and once more every fourth level thereafter.

I would say that this ability doesn't fit the class. Perhaps burning hands would be more fitting?

Flaming Shroud (Su): At 3rd level, once per day, the Pheonix Disciple may create a Fire Shield effect on himself at a caster level equal to his character level. He may do this twice per day at 9th level and once more every 6th level afterwards.

I don't see a problem with this.

Blows Alight (Su): At 6th level, the Pheonix Disciple's fists seem to to glow red when in combat. He deals additional fire damage on his unarmed attacks equal to half his Wisdom modifier, rounded down.

I don't see a problem with this, either.

Blows Aflame: At 8th level, the Pheonix Disciple's fists burst into flame when in combat. He deals additional fire damage on his unarmed attacks equal to his Wisdom modifier, rounded down. On a critical hit, his opponent is lit on fire unless they suceed on a Reflex save (DC 10+class level+Wis)

I don't like the idea of this ability, as it's a touch cumbersome, but I'm certain what to replace it with.

If El Jefe's interpretation of this is accurate, I have no problem with this ability.

As far as an 11th+ level PD dying and reincarnating, I would say that the PD automatically regains the abilities of a 10th level PD - meaning that, upon reincarnation, he is once again an outsider and whatnot.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I agree with Velmont and Gnomeworks's evaluation of the prereqs, though I personally don't like using class abilities as prereqs unless it's a low-level ability available to multiple classes (like Evasion). That said, I'd say that the Pyrokineticist psionic PrC could serve as a model for this particular PrC.

Abilities that are a good fit for a monky class:
Fire adaptation, Hand Afire, Nimbus, Firewalk (some modification needed), Fear No Fire, Greater Weapon Afire

Abilities that aren't such a good fit for a monky class:
Fire Lash, Bolt of Fire, Weapon Afire, Heat Death, Conflagration

I'd actually suggest that the continuing monk abilities be Speed, AC bonus and Slowfall. The damage increases are pretty well taken care of with the fire damage being added, and it gives room for the other abilities without causing too much unbalance.
1st level with all good saves and continuing monk abilities is pretty good without substitutions.
3rd level could remain empty from the removal of Bolt of Fire, and I'd move Firewalk down to 4th with the following modification: "You gain a fly speed equal to your landspeed with average maneouverability. You can only use this ability on one move action per round and must end your movement solidly supported or fall."
Maybe amend Nimbus with "While this ability is active, you gain perfect maneouverability with your Firewalk."
Then the 6th level version could be "You can now use your Firewalk ability on as many move actions as you have available, though you must still end each move action solidly supported."
Replace Heat Death with some uses of Fiery Discorporation power.

Lots of fiery abilities that can be used by a monk or other character who enters the class.
On the 10th level ability, I don't think changing type to Outsider is necessary. Gaining the Fire subtype and a full-on flight speed (equal to land speed, IMO, not twice it) and the limited reincarnation is pretty good. Maybe add another use of Nimbus, and I think it'd be nice.

Remove ads