• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PreReq's for Arcane Trickster

Gaiden

Explorer
I was looking through the prereq's for AT and found that one would need 7 ranks in DS. DS is an exclusive class ability meaning that a character would have to take 4 levels of a class that gave it. This means that essentially one is going to have to take 4 levels of rogue. My question relates to errata for this.

The class already has the prereq for 2d6 SA damage dice. Has their been any errata to change the 7 ranks to 6 for DS?

Having to take that extra level of rogue seriously weakens the class considering levle 4 rogue gets no ability.

Max spell casting ability is now 8th rather than 9th and there is a level lost for SA dmg.

(I realize that one could multiclass into assassin or one of the many other PrC's that had DS as a class ability. That's not my point. Point is that an extra level of rogue is required. Was this intentional: Was it rather the case that the game designers just expected someone to go 2 levels in rogue, 5 levels in wizard (or 6 in sorcerer) and then a final level in rogue to get the 7 ranks in each, not considering the cap on DS to 6 ranks?

If anyone knows of any official ruling or errata, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Crothian

First Post
I've not seen any errata for it. I don't think it's in error, either. Taking that 4th level of rogue is one of those hard decisions the game designers like people to make. Is it worth it for this class? Are you willing to make that sacrifice? I don't think it's that big a deal.

bret

First Post
I doubt it is an error.

If it really bothers you, figure out a way to get 10 ranks in two knowledge skills and take Skill Focus in a Knowledge skill.

LoreMaster has Decipher Script as a Class skill. This would allow you to have one higher caster level than normally.

el Voz

First Post
Instead of screwing up your min max levels, why not take it as a cross class skill. But I guess that means that you can not instantly get the AT PrC.

What a choice you have to make. I feel real bad about having to make some hard descions on which "excess" class level you need to take. Maybe the DM can be nice and houserule the prereqs. Maybe they can let you become an AT at 4th level?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
el Voz said:
Instead of screwing up your min max levels, why not take it as a cross class skill.

You can't take exclusive skills, such as Decipher Script, Read Lips, Scry, or Use Magical Device as cross-class.

This is explained on page 63 of the PHB, at the top of the left column, under "[Class Name] Only". It says: "This skill is exclusive to a certain class or classes. No character not of these classes can take the skill."

Under the description for Decipher Script on page 66, you'll notice that it is available to the Bard and Rogue only. So, of the core classes, only Bard and Rogue can take any ranks in Decipher Script.

Last edited:

Darklone

Well

Easy: Don't go for the AT rogue/wiz. Do the stylish rog3/bard way. Show the world that you rock!

Another idea: Take Skill Focus(DS).

I am not absolutely sure, but I would rule that it works as having enough ranks to take the PrClass.

Hey ruleslawyers, would it be possible?

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Re: Well

Darklone said:
Another idea: Take Skill Focus(DS).

I am not absolutely sure, but I would rule that it works as having enough ranks to take the PrClass.

Hey ruleslawyers, would it be possible?

Nope. Sorry.

Skill Focus (or any other skill-related feat) only gives you a bonus to the skill. The only way to gain ranks in a skill is to purchase them with skill points.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Only 8th level spells for a rogue/wizard? Oh no!

I'm sure its not an error. The class is crazy powerful. I have a funny feeling that whoe purpose behind it is that you have to skip a level for sneak attack.

Like has been said already, its one of those hard choices, except this one isn't hard because the PrC is insanely beneficial for the rogue/wizard concept.

And the level isn't really wasted. You do get more skill points, something a rogue character needs.

--Tricky Spikey

Remove ads