Prestige Class: Disciple of Form

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Disciple of Form
Dedicated to improving dexterity, disciples of form learn to react almost instantaneously to events, sometimes even before they seem to happen. Their bodies can move in improbable ways at impossible speeds. They are quick and precise in all of their motions. Almost nothing can escape their lightning fast reflexes. A disciple of form has trained and focused his movements to near perfection.
Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Disciple of Form, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any lawful.
BAB: +3
Skills: 8 ranks in Concentration and 8 ranks in any 2 of the following: Balance, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble.
Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Skill Focus in any 1 of the skills listed above.
Class Skills
The Disciple of Form’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
[B]Level   BAB     Fort    Ref   Will             Special[/B]
1       +0       +0     +2     +2              Art of Form, Monk Progression
2       +1       +0     +3     +3              Discipline
3       +2       +1     +3     +3              Extraordinary Focus
4       +3       +1     +4     +4              Advanced Discipline
5       +3       +1     +4     +4              Celerity, Precision +2

Class Features
All of the following are features of the Disciple of Form prestige class.

Art of Form (Ex): Just beginning his training, the disciple simply trains to move and dodge quickly. When armored in light armor (or less) and unencumbered, the disciple gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC.

Monk Progression (Ex): A disciple’s class levels stack with his monk levels for the purpose of determining his unarmed damage, bonuses to Armor Class, and unarmored speed. His class levels do not apply to other monk abilities such as flurry of blows, slow fall, and so on. If the disciple has no monk levels, he gains these abilities as a first level monk does and advances them.

Extraordinary Focus (Ex): At 3rd level, a disciple can focus to perform extraordinary feats of dexterity. When focused, a disciple temporarily gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity. This bonus increases to +4 at level 5. Extraordinary focus lasts for a number of rounds equal to 4 + the character’s Constitution modifier. A disciple may prematurely end his focus.
At 3rd level a disciple can use his extraordinary focus ability twice per day. At 4th level, he can use it one additional time per day. Focusing takes no time itself, but a disciple can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Celerity (Ex): Near-perfection of his craft allows the disciple of form to move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.
-When making a full attack action, he may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding, including unarmed attacks. The attack is made using the disciple’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can’t use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)
-The disciple gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.
- Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. The effects of celerity are also lost when the disciple is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
-Multiple haste-like effects don’t stack.

Precision (Ex): The disciple of form has spent long hours honing his accuracy, precision, and speed, thus at 5th level he gains a permanent +2 bonus to his Dexterity score.

Multi-Classing: Monks who take this prestige class may continue in their original class’s progression without penalty. Paladin who takes this prestige class turn away from external gods and focus inward, becoming ex-paladins; they lose all paladin abilities and can no longer gain any levels in the paladin class.

Disciplines: While a disciple of form focuses primarily on his agility and speed, the introverted nature of his training allows him to discover other latent abilities within his body as well. Many monks gain similar abilities, since their method of training is so similar. These latent powers are called Disciplines, and a disciple of form receives one at 2nd level and an Advanced Discipline at 4th level. Each Discipline may be taken only once.

[sblock=Disciplines: ] Adapt Metabolism (Ex): Through meditation, the disciple has gained enough control over his own metabolism to speed it up or slow it down at will. All natural healing rates are doubled. Sleep, rest, or trance required per day is cut in half (this does not apply to wizards’ 8 hours of rest required to prepare new spells). If the disciple has the monk ability wholeness of body, he can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to three times his monk level plus his disciple level each day. The disciple can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x his Constitution score before he risks drowning. Finally, the time required between Fortitude saves due to environmental effects such as heat, cold, smoke, thirst, hunger or drowning is doubled.

Fast Movement (Ex): The disciple can move faster. He gains +10’ to his base move speed as long as he is unarmored or wearing light armor and carrying no more than a light load. The disciple gains the Run feat. The benefits of this discipline stack with any other similar bonuses, such as those from the monk class or the Leaps of Grace discipline.

Enhanced Perception (Ex): Using nonvisual senses, such as acute smell and hearing, the disciple gains blindsense out to 30’. No Spot or Listen checks are required to pinpoint the location of a creature within range of his blindsense ability, provided that he has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent the disciple cannot see still has total concealment against the disciple, and he still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects his movements. He is still denied his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures he cannot see.

Intense Sensation Compensation (Ex): The disciple has gained so much control over his body that he becomes resistant to attacks that rely on intense stimulation, such as attacks that dazzle with lights. His pupils reflexively shrink closed when over stimulated, etc. If a disciple makes a successful saving throw against a sonic attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. [/sblock]
[sblock=Advanced Disciplines] Thick Skinned (Ex): The disciple is able to completely ignore some damage. He gains damage reduction 3/adamantium.

Preternatural Awareness (Ex): The disciple is so aware of his surroundings that he can sometimes predict attacks before they come. He gains a +2 insight bonus to his AC, even when flatfooted.

Leaps of Grace (Ex): The disciple can jump extraordinarily high and far. He does not need a running start to jump far distances (the Jump DC is not doubled if the disciple doesn’t get a running start) and gains a +4 speed bonus to his jump checks if he does get a running start (this stacks with the bonus granted by the Run feat and any bonuses due to increased speed.).
His jumping abilities also help him climb better. He gains a +4 synergy bonus to all of his climb checks. If there are two walls that are close enough (within half of his maximum horizontal jump) he can substitute his (now modified) jump check to climb instead. If either of the walls has climb penalties due to reduced friction, the penalty is doubled if the disciple chooses to use his jump skill instead of climb.
Additionally, the disciple gains the Spring Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
The disciple must have the Fast Movement discipline in order to take this advanced discipline.

Sighted (Ex): By further improving his nonvisual senses, the disciple gains blindsight out to 15’. He maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature within his blindsight’s effect. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though he must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object.
Additionally, if the disciple has the Deflect Arrows feat, he can deflect the projectile weapon even if he is unaware of the attack or is flatfooted. He makes a Listen or Spot check (whichever has the highest bonus) opposed by the attack roll of the attacker. If he succeeds, he can deflect the ranged attack as if he was aware of it and was not flatfooted (though he is still flatfooted for all other purposes). This ability is usable only once per round, along with the Deflect Arrows feat. Attempting to detect a ranged weapon doesn’t count as an action, not even a free action. The disciple must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this Discipline, as per the Deflect Arrows feat.
The disciple must have the Enhanced Perception discipline in order to take this advanced discipline. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I made this prestige class a long time ago, with the idea of a specialized monk in mind. I wanted the monk to have monk-like abilities, but be more customizable, and I had a theme of focusing on the three physical ability scores. It has evolved since then, I dropped STR and CON and focused on DEX. I want an introspective character, focused on self-improvement, capable of doing extraordinary things with only his body. I'm writing a little history on who developed and teaches this Art of Form, and I'll post that here eventually. I may center an adventure around the forest monastery-type place and the guru teacher. And, if I ever get a character to a high enough level, I hope to make a monk who will advance in this class.

I proposed this a long time ago, and it was discussed on and off. This newest Disciple of Form is now a 5 level PrC, and is different enough from my original proposal that I think it warrants a new thread. Also, I think the old thread is cursed, because I never finished it. =P Here's a link to the old Disciple proposal. A fair bit of thought has already gone into this thing, but I think it may have balance issues. Somebody said it was underpowered in the old thread, I fear this newest rendition maybe be overpowered. Anyway, I'd like some input. Thanks.

Patlin

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Class: Paladins may not become disciples of form; they have sworn their devotion to external gods rather than internal perfection.

That's a bit strange. Other classes, most notably Clerics, have "devotion to external gods." Why just exclude Paladins? Why not all divine spellcasters? Would a Monk who was devoutly religous fail to qualify?

The permanent haste effect might be a bit of a sticking point, too.

Check out the monastery in Tournament of Flowers... if it fits, it's always good to reuse a location!

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Patlin said:
That's a bit strange. Other classes, most notably Clerics, have "devotion to external gods." Why just exclude Paladins? Why not all divine spellcasters? Would a Monk who was devoutly religous fail to qualify?
That requirement was a last minute change, right before I posted it. It's mostly for the flavor I have in mind for the PrC, not necessarily to exclude Paladins. It did include clerics at first, but then I remembered something in the PHB about clerics not necessarily worshiping a god but natural forces or even finding powers within themselves but attributing it to an external god. So I removed the cleric reference. My thinking was this: the abilities are not supernatural, they're extraordinary. The disciple of form is not a magic user, he's just extremely devoted to bettering himself through natural laws, controlling his own body extremely well. Maybe, on second thought, the restriction doesn't make sense, because if a paladin focused on improving herself through meditation, she could be spending all of that time praying or bettering herself to do her god's work. But do you understand where I'm coming from?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmmm...this seems a bit powerful, though it does have to take skill focus and lose Fort save boosts. For advanced discipline, there is no such bonus as a "Foresight Bonus". You probably mean "Insight Bonus"

Patlin

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
But do you understand where I'm coming from?

Sure, but I think that'd be better flavor text than rules text -- "Paladins rarely become disciples of form because..." sort of thing. My Knight Phantom build violates the heck out of the flavor text in several ways, but that's OK because he's a rare kind of guy anyway. :)

Not to get too sidetracked, but I've sometimes thought the class designer was a little wonky on the flavor text for Knight Phantoms. The whole bit about being mounted infantry because phantom steeds are too fragile for combat, for example. Has he checked on the stats for nonmagical horses? Plenty of cavalty ride those. And is he taking into account the ability to summon a new steed as a standard action if someone butchers the old one? But I digress....

orsal

LEW Judge
You've got an exemption for monks from multiclassing restrictions, but no corresponding exemption for paladins. I think that's enough. It establishes that this isn't part of a paladin career -- taking this PrC eliminates future paladin advancement. With that already taken care of, it makes sense to me that paladins should still be able to multiclass as DoF on the same terms that they can become sorcerors or rogues.

Bront

The man with the probe
I agree that Paladins shouldn't be barred from this.

Right now though, to me, it looks like Monk +, with a few negitives about qualifying, but some overtly strong abilities to make up for it.

Art of Precision: You don't need to mention parts that duplicate notes on a dodge bonus (like touch attacks, or don't apply when flatfooted)

Feat of Dexterity: I don't like that the bonus, duration, and uses are all flat level dependant. You're effectively cubing the bonus. I'd make the duration Con based (X+con rounds), the bonus flat, or perhaps at PrC level, and the times per day set (1 and 2nd, 2 at 5th). Way too weak at L2, Way to powerful at L5.

Celerity: Permanent Haste is overkill. Particularly since the Monk already gets Furry of blows.

Disciplines:
Fast Movement: is the +4 the normal movement based bonus or that in addition to it?

Adept Metabolism: I like it, but is double wholeness of body a little much? I'm not sure, it's just something to ask.

Enhanced Perception: Not too bad, though Blindsense is fairly powerful.

Intense Sensation Compensation: Immune to sonic damage is HUGE, since few things are. Bonuses to saves vs sensory based attacks might work better.

Advanced Disciplines:
Thick Skinned: 1/magic is nearly useless at that level. 3/- or 3/adamantine might be better. Or even Level/adamantine. Adamantine makes more since, as it's almost like having Adamantine armor, which is reasonable around that level.

Preternatural Awareness: Meh, not bad.

Leaps of Grace: Go Jackie Chan up a wall, cool :)

Sighted: You call it a feat at one point, should be an ability. It's ok.

Ok, on second look, it's actualy not too bad. Fix Celerity, clean up the questions I mentioned, and fix Feat of Dexterity, and I'd be willing to approve it.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Thanks for the comments, I'll get on that right away.

Patlin, I can't find Part I of the Tournament of Flowers thread, did it get lost in the server crash? Do you have a history/details of the monastery that I could look at?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Art of Precision: Fixed the references to dodge rules.

Feat of Dexterity: I changed the name and made it more like a barbarian’s rage.

Disciplines:
Fast Movement: The +4 is in addition to the speed bonus. More on that later.

Adept Metabolism: I changed it to 3 times the monk level + the disciple level. More reasonable?

Enhanced Perception: Blindsense is powerful, I agree, but its range is relatively small, and all it does is allow the character to hear and see very well within a very short distance. It almost makes sense to give the disciple bonuses to spot/listen beyond the range of the blindsense, but I feel that might be overpowered.

Intense Sensation Compensation: I changed the sonic damage immunity to an evasion-like effect.

Advanced Disciplines:
Thick Skinned: Why adamantine? I chose magic because the disciple’s abilities are extraordinary, not supernatural, so they I was thinking they should be more vulnerable to supernatural attacks. I agree that 1/whatever is too low: the barbarian would have 2/- by level 10, the disciple would get this ability at the earliest, character level 9. I think level/adamantine would be too much, 3/adamantine is strong enough.

Preternatural Awareness: I boosted the AC bonus up to +2 from +1.

Sighted: I fixed the feat reference.

Leaps of Grace: I really like this ability, but I feel like it’s underpowered compared to the other advanced disciplines. Same thing with the Fast Movement discipline, so I added the extra +4 jump bonus. I’m thinking of ways to boost Leaps, perhaps another +10’ speed increase, or maybe a special jump attack?

Celerity: Maybe permanent haste is overkill. =P I wanted the disciple of form to be the embodiment of quickness, so I felt like the haste spell was… well, the embodiment of quickness. So I made it permanent and called it Celerity. Perhaps I could dumb it down a bit, is an extra flurry of blows attack and an armor/reflex save bonus still too much? Actually, since Precision is a +2 DEX bonus, that’s an armor/reflex save bonus right there, so all I need is an extra flurry of blows attack. How does that sound?

Remove ads