• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Published Adventures You Have Run in 5e

the Jester

Legend
So what published adventures have you run, or are you running at the moment, in 5e?

I ask because I was thinking about the adventures I've run in 5e, and they are, in the order in which I have run them or am running them:

Thunderspire Labyrinth
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
Curse of Strahd

A tiny piece of Return to the Tomb of Horrors connected material
and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

...so, of the five, one is from each edition of the game from 1e to 5e. That's not an intentional thing- that's just how it has worked out.

On the whole, for the record, I have converted things on the fly, but as we enter the Inner Fane of RttToEE, I've done a bit more advanced work, since some of the npcs and monsters require more customization to fit the themes of the later parts of the adventure.

How about you? How much of the published material you've run in legacy material?

Shiroiken

Legend
My last campaign was:
Temple of Elemental Evil
Lost Caverns of Tsocanth (with the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun in the middle)
Against the Giants
Decent into the Depths of the Earth
Shrine of the Koa-Toa
Vault of the Drow
Queen of the Demonweb Pits

My current campaign has used:
Ghost of Lion Castle
Castle Caldwell and Beyond
Journey to the Rock
Nightshade (dungeon magazine)
Lady of the Lake (dungeon magazine)
Secret of the Towers (dungeon magazine)
Middleman (dungeon magazine)
City of Lahnkmar

I have run the beginning of Lost Mines of Phandelver 3 times to teach 5E. The first two sections are excellent in this regard.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Last year I did Lost Mines of Phandelver then started Princes of the Apocalypse before the game fizzled out.
Now running:
Hoard of the Dragon Queen with a new table. Used Sunless Citadel to rejoin the main story with a new party after a TPK.
Storm King's Thunder with the old group.
Icewind Dale 1 as a campaign with a side group for when I can gather most players for one game.

bleezy

First Post
Homebrew Norse setting
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle
Out of the Abyss
Curse of Strahd

It takes us about a year to run through one of these guys.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Lost Mines of Phandelver
Hoard of the Dragon Queen

From previous editions, I adapted and ran (or am running now):

The Sunless Citadel
Circle of Darkness
Demon God's Fane
Chimes at Midnight
Red Hand of Doom
To Baator and Back
Hard Time
The Eternal Boundary
Harbinger House
Tales from the Infinite Staircase

ccs

41st lv DM
1st campaign:
The Forest Oracle (1e)
Lost Isle of Castanimir (1e)
Smugglers Shiv (PF, pt1 of an AP)

This campaign started with 7 people, dwindled to 1 regular & an occasional due to shifting work schedules/school/etc, and then 1/2way through Smugglers Shiv we got a sudden influx of 4 completely new people.
Near the end of Shiv then we had 3 more completely new people want to join.
So we decided to simply start anew so that everyone could begin at 1st lv.

2nd campaign:
The Keep on the Borderlands (Basic) - mostly just the Caves of Chaos section.
Rahasia (Basic)
Aerie of the Crow God (DCC)
Revenge of the Rat King (DCC)
Grimtooths Museum of Death (DCC)

For this one, most of the group said they wanted to learn the game with just basic Dungeon crawls - with some story.
When they agreed they all felt they had a good grasp of the mechanics we ended this campaign with a (highly amusing) trip through Grimtooths. There was 1 survivor - if you count being blown into another plane by an exploding Staff of Power survival....
Each module assorted players dropped in/out of this campaign. We had a consistent core of 4 (5 depending upon a work schedule) & anywhere from 0-3 others.

Campaign 3:
The Mummies Mask vol.1-4/6 (PF)
It would've went longer (vol 5 or 6) - except for one of those pesky TPKs that happen when you're far far away & surrounded by enemies who really do want you dead.
This one had a very stable group of players.

At this point myself & another DM swapped nights (& a few players).
He got to finish running his faltering Storm Kings game I got to run....

Campaign: 4
Tomb of Annihilation (5e)
This one has a solid core of 4 & keeps attracting new, younger (high school), players. There's ONLY 8 player seats at the table. So the rule is that if your character gets killed your seat goes to the next person on the wait list. We're using this "churn" to represent additional people who can be recruited throughout Chult.
I'm attracting all these extra players probably due to a combination of:
1) Playing on Thur evening (the shops Pokémon League night)
2) People seeing a table full of plastic dinosaurs, 3d jungle terrain, & colorful maps (there wasn't much to "see" in the other DMs SK game)
3) Word of mouth among the younger players. They're getting their friends involved in this game where LotR type characters are fighting zombie dinosaurs.
Of course then they discover there's a little bit more to it than that....
Some of these players are also beginning to buy books etc & new games are forming while they wait to rotate back in. :)

For 5e I've played:
HotDQ (5e) x2
Curse of Strahd (5e)
SKT (5e)
Pharoh (1e) - current Fri night game.
Yawning Portal (5e) is up next after Pharoh concludes.

No idea what I'll run post ToA.
Hmm, maybe I'll do Skull & Shackles (PF). A pirate ship based adventure path. Pirating'll fit the bloody minded approach of my 4 Thur night regulars, it provides a great excuse for having a huge # of other players dropping in/out (other crew), & it can provide very strong 3d elements (D&D mini scale pirate ship battles!)

guachi

Hero
Last campaign set in Mystara:

The adventure from the red box Basic DMG
U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
B10 Night's Dark Terror (best adventure)
B7 Rahasia (I lost four players of six and the newbs needed something easier)
a one session home brew
Uk2 The Sentinel (the newbs quit and I got three new players plus the two originals)
UK3 The Gauntlet
X2 Castle Amber (more fun than it had any right to be)
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads (got halfway through and the campaign fell apart)

I've also run several low level AL adventures and Lost Mine twice.

Tormyr

Hero
I started playing as the D&D Next playtest was wrapping up and jumped into Murder in Baldur's Gate a few weeks in. A couple months later, our DM, having been involved in D&D with some aspect of D&D since Chainmail decided he was sick of running games, and I took over as DM to run Legacy of the Crystal Shard. My old DM had started up a new table at encounters, and suggested that I take a look at the Age of Worms AP. To give myself time to get up to speed on the AP, I ran Mines of Madness.

We started Age of Worms under the D&D Next rules in April 2014. I converted the entire AP, sometimes only a session ahead of my players, and you can find my conversion on this site at http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1254. After 3 years and moving to Roll20 when I moved across the country, we finished in April 2018.

While working on what long-term campaign to run next, we played Zeitgeist: Bonds of Forced Faith, the 5e Tomb of Horrors, and a return to Murder in Baldur's Gate, which I converted largely on the fly. I experimented with different DM styles, theater of the mind, and house rules.

Meanwhile I started an Adventurer's League game at my new FLGS in Brooklyn running Storm King's Thunder. When I knew that I was moving to Switzerland a few months ago, I folded a couple local players into my Roll20 group.

We have just started War of the Burning Sky, the first chapter of which will be on DriveThruRPG and Roll20 in a week or two!

Li Shenron

Legend
The Keep on the Borderlands/Caves of Chaos
Into the Unknown
Falcon's Peak
(Dungeon magazine)
Reclaiming Blingdenstone
Tomb of Horrors
It was a Dark and Stormy Knight
(3e web adventure)
Horror on the Hill

Remove ads