Question about EW and mobile viewing

I have a question. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask it, but I couldn't find any other area that was related to it, and I'm far to lazy to spend any significant amount of time looking for it1. Any way, I have a question. Whenever I view EW on my phone, it loads the page, but for some reason when I'm about to click on some thread, or any link, it shifts as if the page hadn't totally loaded, then it shifts again. It goes either up or down on the page. So, for example, If I wanted to go to the "Now this is green energy" thread, while on my phone, I would go click on the title of the thread, but it would shift the page down so instead of that thread, I might end up clicking on the cartography thread. However, it doesn't end there. It would then shift again, either up or down on the page, so it would align with, for example, the art thread stickied up top.

Originally I thought that may have been my particular phone. I previously had a Galaxy SIII, but it happens on my Note 3 as well. I thought it may have been a slow internet connection, but it happens regardless of what connection I'm on. We have a Starbucks down the street from my home that has Google internet. Damn thing is fast as hell. It still happens.

The other thing is that it only happens on this site. It doesn't happen on any other site. I've been to the WoTC forums, and I've posted there several times within the last week, in several areas of their site, and it doesn't happen there. I've gone to other forum sites, and it won't happen.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what it is?

[sblock=1]One minute is it. If I have to look longer than that, it isn't going to happen.[/sblock]

MarkB

Legend
If I try to open a thread by touching the thread title, I'm instead taken to that thread's sub-topic (i.e. if I touch the title of a 4th Edition thread, I'll go to a list of all the 4th Edition threads.

To actually open a thread, I touch the blue arrow-in-a-circle on the right-hand side of the screen next to the thread title.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Meta - Post comments and questions about the messageboards and other parts of EN World. If you have a problem, this is where to go. Moderator email addresses are posted here."

Moved to Meta.

If I try to open a thread by touching the thread title, I'm instead taken to that thread's sub-topic (i.e. if I touch the title of a 4th Edition thread, I'll go to a list of all the 4th Edition threads.

To actually open a thread, I touch the blue arrow-in-a-circle on the right-hand side of the screen next to the thread title.
I've done that, and I still have the same problem. It's not just going into a thread, it's pretty much anything linked, or even just posting a new comment. If I'm trying to hit the respond to thread button while viewing a thread, the same thing will happen. There have even been times when the page seems to have loaded perfectly, and I go click on one thread, and instead I end up going into another thread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a problem I know of - and experienced for months myself - but have absolutely no idea how to fix. It's incredibly frustrating.

FYI, I don't see either of the bugs here on Dolphin browser for Android. I can see Homicidal Squirrel's bug on UCBrowser, but not MarkB's bug. And in Boat Mini the new floating taskbar is too large to use the site.

FYI, I don't see either of the bugs here on Dolphin browser for Android. I can see Homicidal Squirrel's bug on UCBrowser, but not MarkB's bug. And in Boat Mini the new floating taskbar is too large to use the site.
My tech savviness, well, isn't very savvy, so I'm not sure what browser I'm using on my phone. Also, my phone is across the room, So I can't see it. In any case, yeah, that floating taskbar is huge on whatever browser comes stock with android.

My tech savviness, well, isn't very savvy, so I'm not sure what browser I'm using on my phone. Also, my phone is across the room, So I can't see it. In any case, yeah, that floating taskbar is huge on whatever browser comes stock with android.

I would highly recommend getting away from the stock android browser. It's buggy in a lot of cases.

I use Dolphin as my primary browser because it works on the widest variety of web pages, as noted by the experiment above. I have many other similar experiences with other websites. Pulldown menus and popup calendars seem to be particularly funky on many websites that aren't optimized for mobile browsing, and Dolphin handles them like a champ.

I use Boat as a backup because I keep the agent set to "Desktop". This means that websites are faked out into thinking I'm on a PC rather than a phone and don't try to reroute me to a special mobile website. Priceless. And I've been playing with UC because it has a lot of nice auto-load features that actually work really nice to speed up your browsing (as long as you're data plan can handle it).

I would highly recommend getting away from the stock android browser. It's buggy in a lot of cases.

I use Dolphin as my primary browser because it works on the widest variety of web pages, as noted by the experiment above. I have many other similar experiences with other websites. Pulldown menus and popup calendars seem to be particularly funky on many websites that aren't optimized for mobile browsing, and Dolphin handles them like a champ.
I think I had dolphin on my Galaxy S when I had that phone. Or maybe it was another browser. I may try it out on my Note.
I use Boat as a backup because I keep the agent set to "Desktop". This means that websites are faked out into thinking I'm on a PC rather than a phone and don't try to reroute me to a special mobile website. Priceless. And I've been playing with UC because it has a lot of nice auto-load features that actually work really nice to speed up your browsing (as long as you're data plan can handle it).
Boat sounds good. I hate being sent to the mobile version of sites. That was one of the things I hated about site like the WoTC forums. I was automatically sent to a mobile version of the site. I mean, their regular PC version of the site was terrible enough, but their mobile version could be used by the CIA to torture someone for secrets.

I'm going to have o check out these browsers and see which one works best. Thanks for the info.

Remove ads