• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about max skill level

IamTheTest

First Post
How many skill points can I put into a cross-class skill at the second level?
The Case: I have a Wizard1 who has 4 ranks in Knowledge(arcana) and 2 ranks in Knowledge(religion). Next level I will take a level of Druid. How many points can I put into Knowledge(arcana)?

Ambrus

Explorer
How many skill points can I put into a cross-class skill at the second level?
Normally 2.5 (the extra .5 doesn't really give you any bonus)
The Case: I have a Wizard1 who has 4 ranks in Knowledge(arcana) and 2 ranks in Knowledge(religion). Next level I will take a level of Druid. How many points can I put into Knowledge(arcana)?
You can buy up to 5 ranks total of knowledge (arcana) at level 2 but your 1 new rank will cost you 2 skill points since you're buying it cross-class. Your mamixum ranks in a skill is always your level +3 as long as it is a class-skill for at least one of your classes.

Last edited:

Jhulae

First Post
You can always put a number of skill points in any skill equal to your level plus 3.

2nd level character, up to 5 skill points in any skill.

However, cross class skills divide those points by half when determining the rank of the skill.

If you multiclass with classes that have different class and crossclass skill lists, it gets complicated because whatever is a class or cross class skill for your current level determines whether the points you put in add 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 to the skill.

Basically, it's easiest to only buy skills when they're class skills for your current level, unless the skills you want are consistently cross class skills for every level of your character.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
As they said. So:

Class skills cost one point per rank, you can have character level +3 ranks
Cross class skills cost one point per half rank (you can buy half ranks), meaning two points per rank, you can have (character level +3)/2 ranks.

If a skill is class skill for any of your classes, you can have lv+3 ranks in it. Only if you don't have the skill on any class list will you be limited to (lv+3)/2

If a skill is class skill for the class that gives you the skill points you are spending right now, each point will give you 1 rank. If it is cross class for the current calss, each point will give you 1/2 rank.

In your example, Knowledge (arcana) is class skill for one of the classes, so you can have a maximum of 5 ranks at second level. As you already have 4 ranks, you can spend two more skill points to get another rank.

Staffan

Legend
Jhulae said:
You can always put a number of skill points in any skill equal to your level plus 3.

2nd level character, up to 5 skill points in any skill.

However, cross class skills divide those points by half when determining the rank of the skill.
This is not how it works. What the other guys said is right: max ranks are determined by whether any of your classes has the skill as a class skill, but the class you're levelling up in determines how expensive the skill is to increase.

Your Wiz1 taking a druid level will have to pay 2 points for Knowledge (Arcana) [that's assuming that K(A) isn't a class skill for druids], and will thus have sunk 6 points in it (more than level+3).

reveal

Adventurer
Just to throw this in here:

From the PHB, page 62, last paragraph of the section titled "Skills at Higher Levels"

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

Remove ads