• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger action question

shilsen

Adventurer
Liquidsabre said:
Dude, read the creature description in the 3.5MM, I was but quoting... *shudder*
What? You have something against naked halflings? Note to self: I've got to throw an advanced polymorphed choker sorcerer at the PCs some day.

Ok, so manyshot and rapid shot cannot be combined. Alright. I was thinking this because it seems to be the next real upgrade in archery abilities. With the minus to hit stacked it made sense. But seperate they don't seem so great. With manyshot, I guess the benfit is retaining your move action and still getting a second arrow in. And by taking a full action, you can still use your second attack, getting an additional shot. However, your chance to hit is not so great.... The idea I had seemed alot better, maybe too much though. Oh well, hopefully the archers will get something like I hoped in the next expansion. (Ranged Fighters Screwed Again!!!!)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
disgruntledarcher, I realize that, (especially considering your screen name,) you believe that archers have somehow gotten the shaft, but it's been my experience that this is anything but the case.

Archers are the only fighters that virtually always get a full-round attack each round.

With Rapid Shot, they get an extra attack (at their full strength bonus to damage with the proper bow), while a melee fighter can only get half damage on an off-hand attack.

With Manyshot, they can attack twice even after a move (there is no equivalent melee ability, save perhaps Pounce, which is only available as a druid feat/spell.)

In 3.5, archers are no longer limited on how much strength they can put into their bow. An archer with a 30 strength can buy a +10 strength-adjusted bow, and add his full bonus to each and every arrow he fires, which will be at least two every round, even if he moves.

Honestly, IME archers are still one of the most powerful fighting builds.

Pendragon, I know youre right. I guess I'm just frustrated that archers get the poor end of the stick in the ability list. Surre they get a varitey but it still lessened when compared to melee. No doubt though, I love the archer path in that theyre sometimes overlooked in battle but if planned right they can be the most dangerous one in a party, as mine is in my group. Hopefully the next revealed abilities will give more additional bonuses to the archer class. Until then, rant and rave in expextation.

Silveras

First Post
disgruntledarcher said:
Ok, so manyshot and rapid shot cannot be combined. Alright. I was thinking this because it seems to be the next real upgrade in archery abilities. With the minus to hit stacked it made sense. But seperate they don't seem so great. With manyshot, I guess the benfit is retaining your move action and still getting a second arrow in. And by taking a full action, you can still use your second attack, getting an additional shot. However, your chance to hit is not so great.... The idea I had seemed alot better, maybe too much though. Oh well, hopefully the archers will get something like I hoped in the next expansion. (Ranged Fighters Screwed Again!!!!)

Just for the record...

6th level Ranger, BAB +6
Rapid Shot: 2 arrows at -2 from max attack, 1 at -7 from max attack (3 total)
Manyshot: 2 arrows at -4 from max attack + move action (2 total)

11th level Ranger, BAB +11
Rapid Shot: 2 arrows at -2 from max attack, 1 at -7 from max, 1 at -12 from max attack (4 total)
Manyshot: 3 arrows at -6 from max attack + move action (3 total)

16th level Ranger, BAB +16
Rapid Shot: 2 arrows at -2 from max attack, 1 arrow at -7 from max, 1 arrow at -12 from max, and 1 arrow at -17 from max (5 total)
Manyshot: 4 arrows at -8 from max attack + move action (4 total)

Which one to use will depend on the foes you're fighting, of course. Manyshot looks darn good, though, especially coupled with Shot on the Run.

Darklone

We gotta list the 10 RAWs. Wouldn't that be worth a sticky, Hyp?
- Manyshot and Shot on the Run can't be used together.
- Clerics are broken. (Ok ok, gotta work on that one)
- Thou shalt not use buckets of puppies.
- Readied actions can be abused.
- TWF fighters got the shaft fighting feat.
- Polearm fighters have no shaft fighting feat.

shilsen

Adventurer
Darklone said:
We gotta list the 10 RAWs. Wouldn't that be worth a sticky, Hyp?
- Manyshot and Shot on the Run can't be used together.
- Clerics are broken. (Ok ok, gotta work on that one)
- Thou shalt not use buckets of puppies.
- Readied actions can be abused.
- TWF fighters got the shaft fighting feat.
- Polearm fighters have no shaft fighting feat.
Hah! I was just reading some other thread and thinking we should set up a stickied FAQ on this forum for questions like the Manyshot and Shot on the Run one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads