• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick (No CoR spoilers, some Pitch Black spoilers)

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick on a scale of 1-10

buzzard

First Post
A fair movie. Nothing really bad in it. Then again, nothing amazing good either. It's worth a matinee. I felt that my afternoon sitting in a dark room eating popcorn (with real butter... mmmm) was not wasted.

A little much style over subtance, but the style was pretty cool so it was OK. Twas quite a violent movie, but if you didn't expect that, you must not have seen anything about it. It also had too much of the shaky camera during action scene thing going.

buzzard

Abraxas

Explorer
Just saw it - bleehhh. :(

It rates a 3 in my book. The first thing said as we exited the theatre - Conan in space, then I read the comment here by Kai Lord, and I couldn't agree more.

I've been waiting for a good anti-hero movie and I'm still waiting. I sure didn't see it as epic Sci Fi. Once again just to many glaring problems for me to really emjoy it.

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Just got back from the theatre, I'd give it a strong 6 (6.5).

Special effects were nifty, and the acting for the most part was adequate, if not a little over the top at times. The movie got a lot stronger towards the end, and I really liked the big finish. The conan/dune simialrities noticed by others in this thread were quite obvious, but I felt they were more of a homage than a blatant copy. All in all I was entertained.

As a side note, did anyone else notice the actor that played Vaako (Karl Urban) is the same guy that played Eomer in LoTR. Its nice to see that LoTR has allowed some relatively unknown actors to get noticed and land other roles.

Dirge

Trainz

Explorer
BLACKDIRGE said:
As a side note, did anyone else notice the actor that played Vaako (Karl Urban) is the same guy that played Eomer in LoTR. Its nice to see that LoTR has allowed some relatively unknown actors to get noticed and land other roles. Dirge
Yeah ! I kept telling my wife that during the movie, but she didn't get it.

Cool !

I definitely think a Riddick 2 (or 3 ?) movie would be awesome !

HAIL RIDDICK !

Storm Raven

First Post
Villano said:
Since the creatures are subterranean, the sun(s) may not factor much into it. After all, whole species of fish, salamander, etc. evolve without ever seeing the light. Of course, they don't explode in the sun, but this is a sci-fi movie, so, if we can accept that the Alien has acid blood that can eat through several feet of metal, that isn't much of a stretch. :)

Of course, that begs the question of why you would have a subterraneran creature that has flight as its primary means of locomotion. How would evolution make this work? They live underground in small caves for 22 years, hiding from something that makes them explode if they leave, but keep powerful wings (useless 22 years at a stretch) to fly around in the couple of weeks they can go outside? No matter how you slice it, the creatures make no sense.

Two possible reasons. The kid sneaked in while Riddick was examining that building. It's possible that he either saw him or, after seeing the other kid hanging out on top of it, put two and two together.

In which case why did they not use the entrance the kid snuck in through rather than blasting off the lockes with explosives? The problem with the sequence is that we know the kid is in there, and how he got in, but there is no indication of how the characters know, or why they decided that the best place to look for a missing kid is in a building that they have to blast the locks off of. Like most of the rest of the film, the characters come to conclusions that make no sense given the information available to them.

I didn't like or understand the model at all. It was pretty much a plot device.

But once you include it, why allow such a major lapse in plot follow from it?

Are you talking about how she got out of the cave and to him while leaving the others behind? Yeah, that is a big problem.

Basically nothing about the last 20 or so minutes of the movie makes any sense. That is an especially glaring example.

Last edited:

NeoSamurai

First Post
Fry plays with the model after looking at the mine samples. She goes forward quite a bit indicating that the eclipse is a couple of months (at least).

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
Just saw it. Gave it a 7. It was a lot of fun, mostly just needed more development...I would have liked to know more about the Necromongers etc.

But hopefuly we will learn more in the sequels.

Villano

First Post
Storm Raven said:
[/b]Of course, that begs the question of why you would have a subterraneran creature that has flight as its primary means of locomotion. How would evolution make this work? They live underground in small caves for 22 years, hiding from something that makes them explode if they leave, but keep powerful wings (useless 22 years at a stretch) to fly around in the couple of weeks they can go outside? No matter how you slice it, the creatures make no sense.

Just as a side note, we don't know how big those hives really are. After all, all those creatures couldn't have fit in that little area where the woman went exploring.

Anyway, there are winged creatures that don't spend much time flying. What about the winged queen ants? Do they actually ever leave their hives (colonies?)?

And what abot 17 year locusts? They only come out once every 17 years.

That said, it is kind of pointless to analyze the creatures in sci-fi films (see the Alien example another poster and I used). You just have to go with it at a certain point. After all, how did Dr. Frankenstein get around organ rejection when building his monster? I mean, did they even know about blood types back then? ;)

ShadowX

First Post
I really hate the "dynamic" camera approach. I hate fast cuts and the shaky camera that pervades a lot of films today. Action movies are the worst offenders, but other genres have their films (e.g. the Roxanne scene in Moulin Rouge).

Remove ads