• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick (No CoR spoilers, some Pitch Black spoilers)

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick on a scale of 1-10

Just saw it. Good good movie.

Kai Lord:

Poor man's Dune meet's Conan? Hmmm...I guess. But that doesn't mean its a bad thing. :)

Overall, I do hope they keep going with this and make the next two parts.

Kai Lord

Hero
Actually I really meant "poor man's Dune" + Conan. The Conan part was pretty cool, but (trying to be vague here in the non-spoiler thread) the part of the finale that echoed a very similar sequence in the Dune movie was much less engaging, mostly due to the fact that the Riddick villain not only looked ridiculous (no pun intended) but had almost no charisma to speak of.

Kai Lord said:
Actually I really meant "poor man's Dune" + Conan. The Conan part was pretty cool, but (trying to be vague here in the non-spoiler thread) the part of the finale that echoed a very similar sequence in the Dune movie was much less engaging, mostly due to the fact that the Riddick villain not only looked ridiculous (no pun intended) but had almost no charisma to speak of.
Ah, right. Good point. Still was a 'good' bad villain IMO.

Trainz

Explorer
I rented and just finished watching Pitch Black. So, yeah, this thread might be spoiler material for some (it would have been for me 5 hours ago).

However, someone who REALLY doesn't want any spoilers from a movie shouldn't browse a thread about that movie once said movie is released. That said, the "NO SPOILERS" in the thread title is misleading and should be changed at once.

DAMMIT ! After watching the trailers I wanted to see it (CoR). Today. But before me and the wife unit decided to go, we checked IMDb: below 6. Damn. We decided to not go see it.

However, after browsing this thread, I wish I did ! Sounds like the kind of movie I would enjoy. But now, I can't tomorrow, and probably won't be able to for the next weeks. Darnit.

"Dune meets Conan" ? I HAVE to see it ! ! !

OK, rating the movie based on the first 10 minutes is lame. What if I were to tell you that the first 20 minutes of the movie were the best part of the movie?

Anyhow, I've seen the movie and gave it a 4. I really did not like the fight scenes because of the camera work employed. Basically, whenever two guys (or gals) were battling it out hand-to-hand the camera point of view was TOO CLOSE and the camera operator actually SHOOK the camera. I couldn't watch most of these fight scenes because 1) I couldn't tell what was going on, and 2) I didn't want to get dizzy or strain my eyes. I could understand them doing this if they wanted to hide the set or bad acting, but they put a lot of effort into the sets and probably worked hard to coreograph the fight scenes, so I just don't get it.

I just hope moviemakers stop doing this in future films.

D+1

First Post
It was quite a decent sequel although _I_ would not have gone in a "save the universe" direction. I really did not like the editing though. I am sick to death of ultra-fast paced, strobe-like, impossible to follow, epilepsy-inducing fight scenes. I really, really am. I rated it 6 and that's at least 1 point subtracted just for that reason.

Unfortunately I was also convinced to see it at a drive-in. Being a visually dark movie it was even darker on a drive-in screen and a lot of visual impact was lost - but from what I COULD see it looked good. Nice art design (except the lensmen). Also any merits from sound design were thoroughly hosed. I will very likely try to see it again, it at least was entertaining enough to be worth a second look at a matinee.

On a second viewing I might up my rating to a 7 but I doubt it'll be any higher than that. It was not that far above what SHOULD be an average movie - 5 or 6 on a 10 point scale. Personally I prefer to use a 5 point scale and go with half points when warranted. 3 is then average, a score MOST movies will get. 4 above average. 5 is perfect or nearly so.

Last edited:

Remove ads