• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick (No CoR spoilers, some Pitch Black spoilers)

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick on a scale of 1-10

Zappo

Explorer
Well, the creature can't just eat each other; the energy to live has got to come from somewhere. It's more likely that there's an entire ecosystem underground. Probably, the surface is blasted by too intense light for too much time to start evolution there. And that's assuming that most of the planet is a desert, which is the kind of Star Wars simplification which would hardly apply to reality. After all, the only planet we know for sure has advanced life IRL presents all sort of wildly different climates and morphologies. Maybe the monsters evolved somewhere else and migrate through the tunnels, or something like that. They aren't any more implausible than Aliens.

"Only works in sunlight" isn't completely stupid. The eclypse only comes for some time every 22 years. So the planet is bathed in sunlight for, what, 99.9% of the time? And no clouds either. Why should the vehicles have batteries, since they would never be used? Batteries are costly, bulky, and not terribly reliable after such a long time.

I agree, though, that it is unlikely that the colony's destruction wasn't discovered in 22 years. There are good explanations, but none that is so evident that it didn't need be shown in the movie.

Villano

First Post
Zappo said:
"Only works in sunlight" isn't completely stupid. The eclypse only comes for some time every 22 years. So the planet is bathed in sunlight for, what, 99.9% of the time? And no clouds either. Why should the vehicles have batteries, since they would never be used? Batteries are costly, bulky, and not terribly reliable after such a long time.

It was too much of a plot convention for me. Films like this don't stand up to intense scrutiny and including something that forces you to think of the logic behind it doesn't help. For example, you have solar powered vehicles that only work in sunlight. This means that they wouldn't work at night. The planet has 3 suns. This doesn't mean that there's never any night, but let's assume that there isn't. Now you have a mining colony set up on a planet that experiences perpetual daylight. Not exactly the best condition for human beings, let alone people doing labor. So, whatever they're looking for on that planet must be pretty important to subject people to this enviornment. This then leads up back to the 22 year missing colony.

Simply saying that the battery is drained and didn't have time to recharge avoids all that.

Zappo

Explorer
I may be wrong, but I recall quite clearly that they explicitly said that the planet was in perpetual daylight (save for once every 22 years). And if whatever was being mined is really important, maybe the guy who founded the colony took care to keep it secret (thus explaining the lack of discovery). Hey, it would be cool if in one of the next Riddick movies, it turned out that the colony was looking for something related to their plot! Are they set before or after pitch black? After, I suppose?

Kaodi

Hero
Pitch Black vs. Chronicles of Riddick

First, let me make it clear, I have not seen the Chronicles of Riddick.

I liked the first movie well enough, and when I heard that they were making a movie called " Riddick " about Riddick's past, I thought, " Hey, that sounds kind of interesting. "

Fast forward. The movie is renamed " Chronicles of Riddick ", it is instead set in the future, and it is an end of the world/evil alien induced apocalypse story... huh? What I liked about Pitch Black was that it was an anti-hero's film... but I get a " hero-needed " impression from the sequel. For some reason, the character doesn't feel like he fits the idea to me... A low-key character vs. a high-key situation... Just doesn't have me interested at all.

Crothian

First Post
Wow, I know the thread said no spoilers about the Riddick movie, but someone should warn people on all the Pitch Black spoilers!! :D

I liked Pitch Black a lot, but I'm not going to discuss that here. THe Riddick movie was not as good, but still a good movie. Like I said last page, it was what I hoped for: a good action ride of a movie. It has its problems, but nothing that I thought was overly bad.

So, the last scene in the movie with Riddick sitting down...was it just me or did that scream King Conan?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Zappo said:
I may be wrong, but I recall quite clearly that they explicitly said that the planet was in perpetual daylight (save for once every 22 years). And if whatever was being mined is really important, maybe the guy who founded the colony took care to keep it secret (thus explaining the lack of discovery). Hey, it would be cool if in one of the next Riddick movies, it turned out that the colony was looking for something related to their plot! Are they set before or after pitch black? After, I suppose?

Chronilces of Riddick is set after Pitch Black, but the video game is set prior to it

Villano

First Post
Zappo said:
I may be wrong, but I recall quite clearly that they explicitly said that the planet was in perpetual daylight (save for once every 22 years).

I don't remember that, but it might have come up as they were looking at the model.

What I do remember is that they saw one sun setting and were surprised when one or two more started to rise.

Zappo

Explorer
I recall that I especially liked the use of different camera filters for the different suns.

Crothian is right about the Pitch Black spoilers, I would go back and edit, but I think at this time it'd be easier if someone just placed a spoiler warning in one of the first posts.

Villano

First Post
Zappo said:
Crothian is right about the Pitch Black spoilers, I would go back and edit, but I think at this time it'd be easier if someone just placed a spoiler warning in one of the first posts.

The movie came out 4 years ago, has been released on DVD at least twice, and can be seen on basic cable/network television. I think the statute of limitations on spoilers has run out on that one. :D

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Villano said:
The movie came out 4 years ago, has been released on DVD at least twice, and can be seen on basic cable/network television. I think the statute of limitations on spoilers has run out on that one. :D

Actually, I'm sure there are many people who still haven't seen it. There are no statutes of limitations on spoilers, as I'm sure we all can name many old movies that people have not seen but may want to.

Remove ads