• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick (No CoR spoilers, some Pitch Black spoilers)

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick on a scale of 1-10

Aaron L

Hero
OK, I just saw this tonight, and I must say I am very happy with it. While it isn't the greatest movie ever made, it is a VERY fun movie, and it's VERY D&D. Visually it looked like something right out of Warhammer 40K. And the main villian does about the coolest baadest thing I have EVER seen a bad guy do in a movie!

He tears someones SOUL out!

I can see several places where it could have been improved, and some of the editing could have been better, but I am still very happy with the movie as a whole. I would DEFINATELY like a sequel.

mmu1

First Post
Zappo said:
"Only works in sunlight" isn't completely stupid. The eclypse only comes for some time every 22 years. So the planet is bathed in sunlight for, what, 99.9% of the time? And no clouds either. Why should the vehicles have batteries, since they would never be used? Batteries are costly, bulky, and not terribly reliable after such a long time.

Actually, it is. There's not an engineer in the world that'd design a practical solar-powered vehicle that wouldn't have batteries, for a number of reasons.

1. There might not be night, but there can still be shadows, depending on where you want to go.

2. Solar cells can break in an accident.

3. Storing energy in batteries allows for vastly better performance when it's needed (like when you need to get somewhere fast in an emergency, or need to haul another vehicle out of a ditch, or when being chased by ravenous alien monsters...) than what you can get directly from the solar cell, where the power flow is usually constant.

It's kind of like saying people would never use containers to hold water on a planet with near-constant rainfall, because they're bulky and inconvenient.

Villano

First Post
Crothian said:
Actually, I'm sure there are many people who still haven't seen it. There are no statutes of limitations on spoilers, as I'm sure we all can name many old movies that people have not seen but may want to.

Oh, there are lots of old films that people haven't seen. But I think it gets silly to have to use spoilers to talk about movies that have been out of theatres for years. Do we need to use spoilers every time someone mentions that
Norman Bates was crazy
or
Darth Vader is Luke's father
?

Besides, nothing said was exactly spoiler material. It's a horror film in which people get lost or trapped? Not exactly groundbreaking (and no mention was made of what happened to those people in the movie). They're trapped on a planet with killer creatures that only come out at night and it *gasp!* gets dark and they only have limited light? That's only the plot of the film! If you didn't know that, why are you even watching it? It would be like demanding spoilers that there's a werewolf that kills people in An American Werewolf In London. :D

Dimwhit

Explorer
Great movie. I had a fun time. Gave it an 8. I agree that it's very D&Dish. It would work as a great D20 campaign (not D&D obviously).

nHammer

First Post
Kick-ass movie...If you like sci-fi and action movies, you'll like this movie.

I think some of the stupidest conversations, are when people use real-world sense while talking about a make-believe movie. Especially when the movie takes place in the far future, as well as a far off galaxy.

Last edited:

Kaledor

First Post
Just saw CoR.
My wife and I really liked it. I personally love movies though and can be easily entertained by even "bad" movies... I'm apt to rush out and see just about anything that hits the theaters (yeah... I've got an addiction, I think my local cinema puts something in the popcorn to keep me coming back!)

There were a few editing problems and sound problems, but that could've been a problem my theater's particular print of the film and not a universal problem. Also, I really don't think Vin is a great actor. He's got a perfect body type for the role and the action scene are great... but when he opens his mouth I just cringe. 'Course, the wife loves the eye-candy he presents :\ I'll get my turn at King Arthur when Kira Knightly is in a "strap bikini" :D

All-in-all, I'd see it again. It's got some great moments and some great RPG ideas.

Kai Lord

Hero
Saw it earlier today. It was okay. Gave it a 5.

Kind of a sci-fi Conan with a humorous amount of direct quotes from Mortal Kombat video games, and a really weak main villain.

A lot of build up, some spectacular visuals, and a pretty cool "race against time" sequence a little more than midway through the movie.

The finale played like a poor man's "Dune meets Conan." I'm curious as to where they take the story if they make enough money to go ahead with Parts II and III, but overall I was pretty underwhelmed.

Remove ads