• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick (No CoR spoilers, some Pitch Black spoilers)

Rate The Chronicles of Riddick on a scale of 1-10

Zappo

Explorer
Villano said:
That said, it is kind of pointless to analyze the creatures in sci-fi films (see the Alien example another poster and I used). You just have to go with it at a certain point. After all, how did Dr. Frankenstein get around organ rejection when building his monster? I mean, did they even know about blood types back then? ;)
In some way, this is some kind of involuntary praise for Pitch Black. If some scientifically unlikely facts are the worst that can be said about it, I mean.

Merlion

First Post
Really, I'm not so sure that the monsters in Pitch Black were 100% normal biological entities. Especially given some of the themes in CoR, they may be at least partly supernatural in nature.

They reminded me strongly of Lovecraft's Night Gaunts.

Storm Raven

First Post
Zappo said:
In some way, this is some kind of involuntary praise for Pitch Black. If some scientifically unlikely facts are the worst that can be said about it, I mean.

Except that the scientifically unlikely facts aren't the worst that can be said about the movie. The worst that can be said about the movie is that the plot makes no sense, especially the final twenty minutes or so, which is almost incomprehensible. The characters don't make any sense either, continually doing things that are silly when viewed from the perspective of the information available to them.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
KingOfChaos said:
I think some of you are over-analyzing this movie. It's an action flick, not english literature.

So, because a movie is an action flick, the plot doesn't have to make any sense? Just so long as it has cool special effects, that's enough?

Zappo

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
Except that the scientifically unlikely facts aren't the worst that can be said about the movie. The worst that can be said about the movie is that the plot makes no sense, especially the final twenty minutes or so, which is almost incomprehensible. The characters don't make any sense either, continually doing things that are silly when viewed from the perspective of the information available to them.
Fair enough. I liked Pitch Black, and I don't completely agree with your points, but at least they are points that address real issues. :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Fast Learner said:
Saw it tonight, definitely a very cool sci-fi/fantasy action flick. Note that it's definitely a fantasy flick, too, with spirits and foretold futures and such. I'd be hard-pressed to compare it to anything as it's very much its own film, but there were definitely vibes of Alien/Aliens, Starship Troopers, Pitch Black, Final Fantasy, and Bond films.

Some very cool effects, particularly the way that ships and such distorted the air around them. The overall plot was nicely constructed to both allow this film to stand alone and to still both tie into Pitch Black and be completely set up for the sequel(s).

Tons of action, some good sci-fi and fantasy, and only a few plot holes. I give it an 8 out of 10, and recommend it if you like action.

(It was a bit more violent than I like, but it wasn't terribly gory. I wouldn't recommend it for young kids, but parenting tastes vary widely.)

I gave it a 7 but I agree with your summary.

ShadowX said:
... the "dynamic" camera approach.

That's what dropped it from an 8 to a 7 for me.

Storm Raven said:
... the plot makes no sense, especially the final twenty minutes or so, which is almost incomprehensible.

I must have missed the confusion. What questions did you have?

Storm Raven said:
The characters don't make any sense either, continually doing things that are silly when viewed from the perspective of the information available to them.

Such as?

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
Mark said:
I must have missed the confusion. What questions did you have?

To start with, how did Fry get out of the cave to where she shows up again faster than anyone else? Does anything involving Riddick and Fry in the last twenty minutes of the movie make any sense? Does anything either of them do make sense (One can also note several technical problems too, for example, when Riddick fights one of the creatures by staying in its blind spot, he repeatedly steps in a puddle, making a lot of noise, which should have allowed the creature's sonar to pinpoint him immediately).

Perhaps you missed, for example, where I pointed out that when the kid goes missing, the other members of the group somehow guess (based upon no information that they have available) that he's in a building which, to their knowledge, the only way in requires that the locks be blasted off. How did they figure out he was in there? What made them make that guess? This is just the first of many glaring examples of this sort of silliness.

Last edited:

Remove ads