• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Rate the D&D movie

Rate the D&D movie

• 1 *

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2 **

• 3 ***

• 4 ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 *****

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • 6 ******

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • 7 *******

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I gave it a 9. I think it nailed the feel of a group of players at a D&D table without having it actually be about a group of people playing at a table. A lot of things said by the characters sound like something a player would say (mostly Holga and Edgin). Those of us who have played can immediately tell Xenk is either a DMPC or a guest player who is super into RP and optimisation. I'm glad that they went for more witty humour instead of slapstick/toilet humour. Was not looking forward to Chris Pine getting the Ant Man treatment.

And the Speak with Dead scene was way funnier than it had any right to be. I played a warlock with an invocation that allowed me to spam that spell, so it totally resonated with me.

Finally managed to see it tonight. A bit slow in the beginning and the halflings were not done too well IMO, but overall it was solid entertainment. I liked that it was more sincere than I expected. Sadly, quite a few good moments already appeared in trailers before - I think I would have enjoyed the film more if I hadn't watched them. But overall it gets a solid 7 (IMDB has it at 7.6 which seems fair to me). If they make more movies like that, I would watch them (though I'm afraid follow-ups couldn't be quite as straight-forward as the current one).

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Gave it a 9.
I took my wife and our two grandkids last week. We all loved it.
As a 46 year D&D player, I saw a lot more great references in it, but my family members loved it. They have been playing for about a year or so now and loved the chance to visualise some of the spells and critters they had seen in play.
My granddaughter assures me that her next character will be a tiefling druid!

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Solid 8. What really sold it was Szass Tam conferring with his minion. Very reminiscent of Vader chatting with the Emperor.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yup. I gave it a 7. I saw it twice (once with my family and once with my gaming group). Not because it was quite good enough to see twice, but because of comradery. It WAS very good, but there's still quite a lot of room for improvement!

Can you imagine? We may some day get a D&D movie that's even better than this one. Now THAT would be shocking!

Remove ads