Pathfinder 1E RECALL - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Archon Basileus

First Post
Nothing much. I'm looking at the games and I'm trying to understand how everyone sees them. In this case I was asking myself if I had insinuated combat as the main course of action, throwing other potential resolutions to the back unwillingly. I'd hate to induce players with bad phrasing or some such things.

Shayuri

First Post
Oh oh!

They seemed pretty belligerent right? Showing weapons, surrounding us, making very blatantly threatening manuevers.

But then they didn't attack, instead saying they wanted to 'talk.'

OOC I thought maybe you were just giving us a narrative opening to post reactions before the fun started, but IC it made more sense to me that Shay might suspect they were trying to delay us rather than just attack us. Shay doesn't know she's in a game, see. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Quick resolution of a side quest - we save the looking for the criminal, get our warnings or fights and you get to show your villain regardless of our decision to help the girl (or not).

I fully expected the fight after you got us in the clear.

I don't think Hagadark has racial bonus, he replaced some things with alternates and several times commented on not being scary.

Good handling of and another intimidates :)

Neurotic

I think they were trying to be intimidating and the story would be 'you don't belongs, don't interfere', but between our counter threats, calm waiting and Mourgrym aggressive growth we caused the escalation where fight was essentially the only option - with chickening out as an alternative

Archon Basileus

First Post
I have to check @MetaVoid's sheet once more, but I think he dropped some trait for the falchion skill... Even so, the bonus would be a lot more than needed, with a DC of hit dice plus WIS bonus plus 10 per enemy. With Shay getting a 15 and everyone else scoring well above 10 it wouldn't take much to send them away.

As for the violent intent, I figured this would be the apex of diplomacy for a street gang. I figured they'd try to intimidate and stall until they had the upper hand. You have resources that they don't, and your spells are far from exhausted (even though they didn't know that, they might as well presume so, since Hagadark's potions and mutagen gave at least three useful effects out). I tend to think what the characters I placed there would do, and then I use the rules to accommodate that.

Playing with you guys has made me realize some interesting stuff for DMing. For example, I placed you out in the open as a response to your more direct posts. I realized sometimes I want to get too many details out, and they somehow break game flow. So I'm trying to be more straightforward with transitions, without taking choice and flavor away. And I'm also re-thinking some of the choices I originally made for the campaign as I first wrote it, in order to flash out different mechanisms from the game.

EDIT: and yeah, [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], you were right! [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION] traded in the intimidation trait for the shaman apprentice! Still got a load of points for rolling, so... :) Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
Sooo, sugestive text aside, if it gets too heavy give me a shout. I aimed for a violent scenario, as you've seen. Still, we're here to have fun, not to torture ourselves.

Also, [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], the first time I read your answer, I thought you were talking about their odd behavior, not the fact that violent behavior is considered normal around here. That's why I winked and laughed. After re-reading it, I thought it was needed to clarify (otherwise it might seem as if... Well, you know.)

Neurotic

I used disturbing as an expression. I survived violent unnecessarily cruel war. You cannot say vile enough things to make me really disturbed. At least not before you lose all your western audience.

Archon Basileus

First Post
I'm glad to know I didn't offend you....But at the same time I'm sad - and very sorry - you had to go through the war. I suspected you had - I did the math in my head once, when we talked. For all that is worth, I hope I haven't brought any painful memories, and, well... You know I consider you a friend, so... :)

Now, friends, as far as the game goes, I've been considering Marius to be scouting, giving a sure set of info without any discovery risks. You may maneuver to keep the women safe as well, but remember you're playing against time, heheh.

Also, I'm home once more. I'm probably resuming post pacing at the next three days, and I might have a few handouts and maps for you guys. :)

Remove ads