D&D 5E Recruiting a 5E DM

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Since it worked on me, I figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

I dearly want to actually play 5E and have not yet had the opportunity so...any brave DMs out there want to give it a go?

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Well happy birthday! I know this isn't ideal, but my plan is to run at least two 5E games here on ENWorld.

I'm very new to pbp as you know, and I was going to play in a few games (2 here, 1 on rpol and one on giant in the playground) to get a feel for the structure of an online game. I'm much more comfortable with the format and since I usually DM in live games anyway, my hope was to transition to running a couple of pbp games starting in December or January.

You'll get expanded, advanced first-place 'dibs' on either or both, since you've been kind enough to have me at your own table x2. However, you'll have to put up with some waiting (I'm updating my homebrew to version 3.0. It's big) and an inexperienced pbp DM.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Not sure if this is up your alley but I've had a weird idea of running an old-school style game using just the Basic rules with old school 'classic' class/race/background combos, something like

Fighter = human, fighter class, soldier background
Cleric = human, cleric class, acolyte background
Wizard = human, wizard class, sage background
Thief = human rogue class, criminal background

Then for the demihumans:

Dwarf = mountain dwarf, fighter class, soldier background
Elf = high elf, fighter class, sage background (to mimic the old mage/fighter split of old school elves)
Halfling = lightfoot halfling, fighter class, criminal background (i.e. a fighting class with thiefy/sneaky elements)

Quickleaf

Legend
Since it worked on me, I figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

I dearly want to actually play 5E and have not yet had the opportunity so...any brave DMs out there want to give it a go?

Hmm, I might be talked into it if you all haven't found someone to DM yet. I have experience playing in chat rooms, but I've never run a PbP before. I'm trying to get one off the ground (for the FATE system), but I too have been jonesing to try out 5E.

My current ideas are for a "Skull & Bones" style game (based on the Green Ronin book) with privateers and voodoo inspired by Pirates of the Carribbean, Black Sails, Master and Commander, The Sea Wolf, Treasure Island, and The Secret of Monkey Island. Obviously we'd have to house rule things like ship chases, ship-to-ship combat, and firearms, magic might need a bit o fre-skinning, and stranger races would need some hooks, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

How often do folks post in a PbP game usually? Is once every day or two a good frequency?
Is combat (when it occurs) usually handled in "theater of the mind" style? Or do DMs usually upload maps?
Is there an expected format when recruiting for a PbP game?

Remove ads