D&D 5E Recruiting a 5E DM

Quickleaf

Legend
Since it worked on me, I figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

I dearly want to actually play 5E and have not yet had the opportunity so...any brave DMs out there want to give it a go?

Hmm, I might be talked into it if you all haven't found someone to DM yet. I have experience playing in chat rooms, but I've never run a PbP before. I'm trying to get one off the ground (for the FATE system), but I too have been jonesing to try out 5E.

My current ideas are for a "Skull & Bones" style game with privateers and voodoo inspired by Pirates of the Carribbean, Black Sails, Master and Commander, The Sea Wolf, Treasure Island, and The Secret of Monkey Island. I'd base it on the Skull & Bones book from Green Ronin, as well as my own setting notes gathered over the last year. Obviously we'd have to house rule things like ship chases, ship-to-ship combat, and firearms, magic might need a bit of re-skinning, and stranger races would need some hooks, but I think it could be a lot of fun with each PC taking on a key role aboard the ship. The high seas adventure could be mixed up with island-hopping and port intrigue.

How often do folks post in a PbP game usually? Is once every day or two a good frequency?
Is combat (when it occurs) usually handled in "theater of the mind" style? Or do DMs usually upload maps?
Is there an expected format when recruiting for a PbP game?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Piratey stuff sounds intriguing, though I'd honestly recommend handwaving ship-to-ship stuff or handling it narratively.

Posting frequency is generally up to the DM and the players. I go with about once a week depending on the number of players and how often they post. If they are keeping up a faster posting rate, I'll try to match them, but once a week is the slowest you want to go.

I usually theatre of the mind as maps can be a bit of a chore, at least for me. Some folks prefer them for visual reference.

I don't know that there is an expected format, but my formula has obviously worked out pretty well for me, so feel free to check out any of the opening posts in my threads. At a bare minimum, you'll want to introduce the setting and adventure hooks, character creation expectations (roll ability scores or point-buy, equipment determination, etc), any house rules you are using, and the number of players you are hoping to recruit.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I've been telling myself "I will NOT DM a game right now, I will NOT DM a game right now..." You're making it very difficult for me. My last game I ran here lasted about 5 years, and I'm just not sure I have that much energy to put into it again.

But it does sound fun...

-IG

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. The Draconic sorceror template could be modified to be more 'elemental' in nature, and I could give Talashia another go.

Though sorcerors alone of arcanists do not get familiars.

To get an 'improved' familiar I'd need to be a warlock. Elemental pact? Fair amount of customizing to do in that case. HMM. Might be more trouble than it's worth...

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
If [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] does get a 5E thing up and running, I have two concepts I want to try.

Wizard - any wizard, really. Its my favorite class, regardless of edition, and I want to give one a whirl in 5E to see how they play.

Hulk or Jekyll/Hyde type character - A Berserker Barbarian with the Sage background, played as a Jekyll and Hyde type character whose persona and possibly even their physical body changes when they rage.

Phoenix8008

First Post
If [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] does get a 5E thing up and running, I have two concepts I want to try.

Wizard - any wizard, really. Its my favorite class, regardless of edition, and I want to give one a whirl in 5E to see how they play.

Hulk or Jekyll/Hyde type character - A Berserker Barbarian with the Sage background, played as a Jekyll and Hyde type character whose persona and possibly even their physical body changes when they rage.
There are so many fun possibilities with wizards. I made up a mountain dwarf necromancer for one game and I'm still thinking about a Diviner Wizard as well (for the Exodus game maybe even!).

Remove ads