Recruiting for Adventure in the Vastermarch

SlagMortar

First Post
Beamer says with a smile, "Thankyou my good man. Glad to hear it is a preventative military caravan headed out and not a siege breaking force. A good day to you."

Beamer and Banion head over to inquire with the troup headed to Braeholl.

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: Anyone watched any of the new "Heroes" TV show? There's also the matter of having to concentrate to cast a spell or manifest a power. The character "Hiro" who can stop time has a particularly memorable look of concentration. ;)

DM's judgment as to whether anyone notices this of course. Probably spot contested by Boog's bluff with any circumstance modifiers the DM deems apropriate.

One thing to consider in deciding on circumstance modifiers is that if you ready an action to attack if someone manifests a power or casts a spell, a stilled silent spell or a power with its display suppressed still triggers the action.

Manzanita

First Post
OOG: Corcio - best of luck to you, but a 1st level PC doesn't really have a place in this adventure. Unfortunately, patience is necessary to playing PbP, which is why so many are turned off by it. Once you get a few games going, then there generally is SOMETHING to do on any given day.

As for the game, I am planning to use some psionics this time around. I've never played a psionic PC or NPC before, so part of my goal with the particular adventure is to come to a better understanding of the psionic rules. Thanks for your feedback, and please continue your comments whenever you feel appropriate. In this instance, let's assume no one else in is Boog's 15' radius. As the man failed his save, he knows nothing of what's going on.

Boog detects no unusual surface thoughts. This is a veteran teamster happy to share his greater knowledge with the friendly halfling strangers.

As the halflings walk off he shouts after them. "Just stay in the town, my small friends, and you'll be fine!"

The halflings quickly spot Bog's store. This open-air shop sports several fariers, coopers, stables, and food stops. It meets the last-minute needs of the travelers coming from and heading North. The military caravan seems to be about to leave. The three wagons are built of sturdy wood, like big boxes on wheels. Two heavy horses pull each one. Two men ride on top, one guiding the horses, the other holding a heavy crossbow. Two men on horseback trot about as the drivers and guards finish loading a few boxes and bags into the third wagon.

One of the riders is wearing shiny full plate armor. He is a tall human and wears no helmet. His hansom face is fixed in concentration on his work. His thick black hair flows down past his ears. A greatsword is strapped over his back. He is mounted on a poweful Grey charger, and wears a simple grey tunic over his armor. The other rider is a young man with long sandy-brown hair and thin features. He wears leather armor and has a longsword at his belt. No insignia is evident anywhere on any of the wagons or riders.

Feel free to make two spot checks
#1 DC 10 [sblock] the third wagon has an open back door which is shut as you approach. Inside the wagon appear to be a small arsonal of weapons, including pole arms, bows, and molotov cocktails.[/sblock]
#2 DC 15 [sblock] The tall man has a symbol ingraved onto the chest of his full plate under his tunic. It is a heavy mace with a sunburst behind the mace's head[/sblock]

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: spot checks (1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=7)

Beamer looks back at the teamster's shout and smiles while waving his hand. Before approaching the wagon, Beamer removes his crossbow from his haversack and attaches it to a belt loop.

Beamer approaches the man in full plate. "Hello, Sir Knight. You appear to be heading to the north, perhaps all the way to Braeholl? My friend here and I are headed that direction as well. Might we accompany you? We have our own provisions, and as you can see, we don't take up much room. Each of us has sharp eyes and are fair shots to earn our way should you encounter trouble," gesturing to his crossbow. "Though, such a fortified group is unlikely to encounter much."

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
The knight looks down at the halflings briefly, then keeps on trotting by. Perhaps he didn't hear them. He is riding a heavy war horse, which easily outweighs a whole family of halflings.

The other man steers his horse over. "Away with you laddies! We are taking no riders." he shouts at them. Without waiting for a reply, he pulls his reins and darts his horse towards the front wagon. He laughs as he speaks to the driver of that wagon. It's hard to hear him over the bustle of activity.

Listen DC 15 [sblock]"Halflings! Perhaps we should take them along as a snack for the wolves!"[/sblock]

Moments later, the whole small caravan is moving, the knight in the lead, and the smaller man on the light horse taking up the rear.

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
As the halflings walk off he shouts after them. "Just stay in the town, my small friends, and you'll be fine!"
"Just stay in the town and you'll be fine?", thought Boog. Where were these haflings going? This "Braeholl" place? Boog began to think that he'd read the wrong mind, and that what was going on with the halflings was more...interesting.

He began to follow the halfings, at a distance.
Manzanita said:
Feel free to make two spot checks
Boog sauntered up near the wagons as if preoccupied with something else. He noticed something interesting about the wagons, but was oblivious to anything else.[sblock=OoC: ]Spot check on wagons, d20+2 (Wis bonus) = 16. Second spot check, d20+2=6, no joy. :( [/sblock]

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
"Away with you laddies! We are taking no riders."
Listen DC 15 [sblock]"Halflings! Perhaps we should take them along as a snack for the wolves!"[/sblock]
Boog hung around, watching and listening as the haflings tried to coax a ride from the apparent leader of the expedition, and hoping they didn't notice him just yet. "They must really want to go to this Braeholl place", he thought. Then he caught an offhand remark from one of the other soldiers that made his lips curl into a smile. "Wolves?", he thought. "A pair of wolves like the ones we ran into last time would have a feast of this entire caravan, from the knight on down to the lowest footsoldier. Wolves, indeed!"

The haflings would be but a snack for a beast such as those who attacked his group during his last adventure. Boog continued to watch and wait, intrigued by how this would play out. Would they try to run after the caravan, or not?[sblock=OoC: ]Listen check, d20 + 2 (Wis bonus) = 21...clear as a bell![/sblock]

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: Listen check (1d20+3=7)

Assuming Beamer has not noticed a great hatred of the arcane in Rivensblight...
IC: We've got to make ourselves appear more useful. Beamer casts a quick Message spell, including the two mounted warriors and Banion. He levels a stare at the knight and whispers, "I have heard the orcs to the north have shaman's at your side. Perhaps you could make use of some of our more interesting talents, Captain."

OOC: That's rapidly becoming my favorite spell. Saving throw: None, gotta love it.
Spells remaining: 0:5, 1:7, 2:4

Remove ads