D&D 5E (Recruiting) Greyhawk Old-School Sandbox-Style Campaign

Schmoe

Adventurer
I know the game may already be full, but in case it's not:

Gnash Fangelorn, Forest Gnome Paladin Outlander. Gnash is about 3' feet high with short-cropped brown hair, ruddy skin, and green eyes that sparkle with laughter and love. He is an adventurer and a risk-taker, and is passionate about his native woodlands and their primeval purity. He strives to bring light to those who suffer through darkness.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Feel free to continue submitting concepts. I don't have an exact number of players in mind. It is my experience that PBP doesn't retain all starting players anyway. If we start with six or seven for some reason I imagine it will eventually pan out to about five after a few months.

I will have some time later tonight to look at more characters and get a preliminary Obsidian Portal site set up.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Arion Wenter / Zenith Winter
[B]Class:[/B] Roue 1
[B]Race:[/B] Elf - High
[B]Background: Charlatan[/B]
[B]Size:[/B] Medium (5'6", 135lbs)
[B]Gender:[/B]     Male
[B]Alignment:[/B]  Chaotic Neutral

[B]Str:[/B] 10 (+0) save: +0     [B]HP:[/B] 9 (1d8+1)
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 (+3) save: +5     [B]AC:[/B] 14 (Leather + Dex)
[B]Con:[/B] 12 (+1) save: +1
[B]Int:[/B] 16 (+3)  save: +5     [B]Speed:[/B]   30
[B]Wis:[/B] 13 (+1) save: +1     [B]Init:[/B]    +3
[B]Cha:[/B] 11 (0) save: 0     [B]Passive Perception:[/B]    15

[B]Skills:[/B]                    [B]Abilities:[/B]
Acrobatics          +3      Expertise - Sleight of Hand, Perception
Animal Handling    +1      Sneak Attack -1d6
Arcana             +3        Thieves Cant
Athletics          +0           Darkvision
*Deception         +2        Keen Senses
*History            +5          Fey ancestry
*Insight             +3        Trance
Intimidation       +0         Cantrip - Minor Illusion
*Investigation      +5
Medicine            +1
Nature             +3
*Perception         +5
Performance       +0
Persuasion        +0
Religion           +3
*Slight of Hand    +7
*Stealth           +5
Survival           +1

[B]Proficiencies:[/B]
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple, Shortswords, longswords, rapiers, hand crossbows, longbow
Tools: Disguise, Forgery Kits and Thieves Tools
Languages: Common, Elvish, thieves Cant, Goblin

[B]Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type[/B]
Rapier        , 1h         +5     1d8+3          P
Shortbow    , 2h         +5     1d6+3         P
Dagger       , 1h         +5     1d4+3          P

[B]Equipment:[/B]
Rapier
2 daggers
Leather Armour
Shortbow
Quiver with Arrows(20)
Burglars Pack
Disguise Kit
Forgery Kit
Thieves Tools
Fine set of clothes in Red Beret
"Shell game"
Beltpouch
Straw hat
Common clothes

[B]Money:[/B] 0 gp

[B]Hermit:[/B] False Identity - Zenith Winter (merchant selling historical treasures)
[B]Favourites Schemes:[/B] Zenith Convinces people that worthless junk is worth spending money on.
[B]Personality Trait:[/B] Born Gambler who cannot resist taking a risk for payoff.
[B]Ideal:[/B] I am a free spirit, no one tells me what to do.
[B]Bond:[/B] I owe everything to my mentor, a horrible person who is probably rotting in a jail somewhere (Mandor Gertransian)
[B]Flaw:[/B] I cannot resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.

[B]Mandor Gertransian
[/B]The young Arion was always a bit of a troublemaker, petty theft and cons caused a lot of tension in his elven community and when the half-elf con-man Mandor Gertansian came to ply his trade Arion found a kindered spirit. The older half-elf took him under his wing and taught him how to pick pockets and make forgeries so good that only the most highly trained could spot the fakes. For years the two plyed their trade and made money when and where they could.

But Mandor had a dark side. Whilst Arion was happy to steal and trick, Mandor liked to murder people in their sleep and take their wealth. Arion suspected the truth for a while but eventually decided to part ways after tipping off the local law enforcement. Mador is probably serving a life sentence somewhere.....probably.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
Just a question, are we allowed to arrange the stats in an order of our choosing? If not, I may not be able to go with my character concept after seeing the stats.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Just a question, are we allowed to arrange the stats in an order of our choosing? If not, I may not be able to go with my character concept after seeing the stats.
Yes, you can arrange your ability scores however you desire. They do not have to be in the order rolled.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Yes, you can arrange your ability scores however you desire. They do not have to be in the order rolled.

Ok, thanks. However, I just noticed this from your original post:

Only humans can be monks and paladins.

So I'll need to come up with another character concept.

Helmut Krauthammer, Human Fighter/Eldritch Knight Soldier. Helmut is tall and long-limbed, hardened by many battles. He has blonde hair that he keeps in a knot in the back, and pale blue eyes that have seen much suffering. Helmut was a sergeant in the army. During the last war he led his platoon on a dangerous charge to take a hilltop. Though they were successful, many good soldiers died, and Helmut swore that he was done with the soldiering life. He now casts about for purpose, but he fears that fighting is in his blood.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here is my stat block, borrowed the idea from creamsteak.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Kail Ryon
[B]Class:[/B] Monk 1
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Background: Hermit[/B]
[B]Size:[/B] Medium (5'11", 170lbs)
[B]Gender:[/B]     Male
[B]Alignment:[/B]  Good    

[B]Str:[/B] 15 (+2) save: +4     [B]HP:[/B] 10 (1d8+2)
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 (+3) save: +5     [B]AC:[/B] 16 (Monk Defense 10+dex+wis)
[B]Con:[/B] 15 (+2) save: +2
[B]Int:[/B] 11 (0)  save: 0     [B]Speed:[/B]   30
[B]Wis:[/B] 16 (+3) save: +3     [B]Init:[/B]    +3
[B]Cha:[/B] 11 (0) save: 0     [B]Passive Perception:[/B]    15

[B]Skills:[/B]                    [B]Abilities:[/B]
*Acrobatics         +5      Martial Arts
Animal Handling    +3      Unarmored Defense
Arcana             +0
Athletics          +2
Deception         +0
History            +0
*Insight            +5
Intimidation       +0
Investigation      +0
*Medicine           +5
Nature             +0
*Perception         +5
Performance       +0
Persuasion        +0
Religion           +0
Slight of Hand    +3
Stealth           +3
Survival           +3

[B]Proficiencies:[/B]
Armor: Nonw
Weapons: Simple, Shortswords
Tools: Flute
Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin

[B]Weapon                Attack  Damage     Type[/B]
Quarterstaff, 1h         +5     1d6+3          P
Quarterstaff, 2h         +5     1d8+3         P
Unarmed, 1h             +5     1d4+3          P
Dart, ranged             +5      1d4+3         P

[B]Equipment:[/B]
Quarterstaff
Darts(10)
Explorers Pack
Winter cloak
Scroll case with notes
Common clothes
Herbalist kit

[B]Money:[/B] 5 gp

[B]Hermit:[/B] Seeking Enlightenment
[B]Personality Trait:[/B] Speaks litter, but communicates in volumes through hand gestures.
[B]Ideal:[/B] Striving for emotional balance will lead to logical thinking that will not cloud our minds.
[B]Bond:[/B] I'm still seeking the enlightenment that eludes me. It burns within my mind.
[B]Flaw:[/B] Incredibly enamored by ale and wine.

Forgot to mention. I hope you do not mind, for the Hermit background I took Perception instead of religion. I figured wanderlust and exploration would be more on his mind than religious studies, thus why he is still looking for enlightenment.

Everything looks good on the stat block from what I can tell.

I do not see the need to swap Perception in for Religion. It does not seem to fit the background of the character as you have described it. Perhaps you are thinking of Investigation, which is more along the lines of research. Even still, it would seem to me that based on the description you provided, Religion is a natural fit for this character. Just because he has studied Religion does not mean he has found what he has been looking for. In fact, it might make further quest for enlightenment all the more vital. "More knowledge leads to more questions." A character with Perception by contrast might have training as a scout, hawker, spy, or look-out. From what I have read, however, Religion seems a perfect fit for the character.

Perhaps you would like to customize the background a bit and develop the idea further. Let us take a page from the book and ask these questions: what was the reason for your character's isolation, and what changed to allow him to end his solitude? Beyond that, what did he do while living as a hermit? You might also want to take a look at the section under Other Hermits on page 135. Maybe another background would fit what you have in mind better.

I will review [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]'s wizard next.

Remove ads