(Recruiting) Kiss of Darkness--Adventure in my Homebrew Setting

Boddynock

First Post
Mind you, spiked chain is a less than optimal choice for Br E - he has a vendetta against undead, and piercing weapons are not the most effective way to go vs the life-challenged. :lol:

And now back to your advertised viewing!

Bront

The man with the probe
Boddynock said:
Oops - should that be in a spoiler block?
The only reason I sblocked mine was because there's some fairly private character only information in it. RA and I have been exchanging e-mails. Obviously, it's going to be out there in public eventualy, but still Sblocked. as with any sblock, it's simply asked that you respect the privacy, or don't use what's in it if you choose not to.

I'm generaly one that doesn't like to hide backgrounds and such, because I put a lot of work in them and hope others can enjoy the reading, but it just made too much sense for this character.

Bront

The man with the probe
jkason said:
Feats: There's a compilation I look at online ( PDF here ) since I don't own any books.
Interesting, but the very first feat listed they have described completely wrong, so I wouldn't trust it completely

Legildur

First Post
Boddynock said:
Mind you, spiked chain is a less than optimal choice for Br E - he has a vendetta against undead, and piercing weapons are not the most effective way to go vs the life-challenged. :lol:
Hah! Just found a weapon in Oriental Adventures that would meet your needs (actually, there are a couple) as they still have reach, +2 to disarm, and can be used to trip:

chain 1d6 bludgeoning - okay, so it averages 1.5 hit points less damage than a spiked chain, but also only 5gps... so I can afford that! But still can't take EWP due to crappy BAB :(

kawanaga (1d3 slashing or bludgeoning) - and a one-handed weapon to boot

kusari-gama - 1d6 slashing or 1d4 bludgeoning

Brother Richard

First Post
Brother Richard Asking If Warmage Is Good

I told you about the warmage idea, but I could easily think of something else. Should I expand on my warmage idea or should I think of something else?

Boddynock

First Post
The third draft of Kelloran's character profile is up (under the original post).

When I've finished fiddling I'll post it again.

'Nock

Rystil Arden

First Post
JimAde said:
Thanks, Eluvan.

I have updated my character to reflect my newfound wealth (I thought it was something like 150...). So now I have chain mail! Woo hoo! :)

Still no strength-bonus bow, though. So I switched from shortbow to javelins. I only get 5 shots, but Tyren's mostly a melee guy anyhow. And now instead of 1d6 he does 1d6+4. Much better.
Ah, yes--that's much better damage. Of course, javelin range is fairly short, so hopefully they aren't flying, or if they are, he could probably borrow a ranged weapon from someone else (those pesky casters usually buy one, but they don't know one end of a crossbow from the other :p)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
sblocked for page length

[sblock]You mentioned an alternate prime as a possible source for the viking-type. This got me thinking, I'm not entirely sure what your cosmology is but, as opposed to an alternate prime how about simply an alternate plane. An elven viking-type from Alfheim would fit the bill. It would probably look like this:

"Viking" Elf
Humanoid (Extraplanar, Elf)
+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
An elf’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
Low-light vision.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves are automatically proficient with the longsword, battleaxe, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
+2 racial bonus to Survival checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Ranger

Changes in Green

How's that look? I modifed it a bit to fit the concept better, no rapier proficiency and Cha penalty instead of Con, added +2 to survival. I considered dropping the ability modifiers entirely, also considered additional skill points as human cause that whole vulnerable to banishing thing is mean.

Probably use Scout as initial class and possibly multiclass into Ranger at latter time.
[/sblock]
Hmm...that could work. My only concern is that +2 Dex -2 Cha is not really balanced (I know Dwarves get +2 Con -2 Cha, but they shouldn't, and Dex is arguably the most useful stat out there, though you can make do without it). In theory, we'd need to knock out two mental stats, like Shifter, to balance out a Dex raise with no physical penalty, but maybe if it was a -2 Int or Wis, I think it would still be okay (like a Wild Elf)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Love to play another Magister, probably elven. But if you are not wanting AE casters (whom I feel are more balanced that Wizards) then its a dwarven warmain for me. Can you tell us anything more about the dwarven lands?
I actually agree with you that AE casters are more balanced overall. The main concern is that they are more powerful in some areas than Wizards and weaker in others, which in a self-contained world is perfectly fine, and they are balanced quite well (this is also true if you replace all casters with AE casters), but is very problematic when you allow them to cross-pollinate with Wizards because this allows the Magister to add on the new things they do better than Wizards while the Wizards back them up by casting the things they do better than Magisters, causing all sorts of trouble (just a random example off the top of my head, and not the biggest one--the Magister uses his Greater Ability Boost spell to give the party a long-lasting larger-than-+6 bonus to their highest stats, and the Wizard fills in with their animal buffs as needed).

Lessee, Dwarves--the two distinct groups among the local dwarves are those who choose to live on the surface, often in human kingdoms, and those who live in Dvarnhold, their kingdom under the mountain. The surface-dwelling dwarves are staunch allies to their human neighbours and respected smiths and warriors, though some are turned away by their gruff nature. The dwarves under the mountain are strong traditionalists engaged in a longstanding war with the drow for their territory, one that neither side is winning decisively, although the nod goes to the dwarves for the moment, as they have managed to push the drow away from their interests except for minor incursions and the occasional battle. The drow, for their part, put the spin on it that they simply aren't interested anymore. Dwarven love of axes and good ale is legendary, and for leisure they sometimes engage in 'ground-splitting' contests, where they descend upon the ground from above with an axe-attack and see who can cause the mightiest blow. Dwarves worship the dwarf pantheon, with Moradin, Clangeddin, and all the rest of the dwarven gang.

Rystil Arden

First Post
jkason--Salienne, that town to north of the capital, was hit early from the cult's hidden fortress in the country's north. They now also have a noted monastery where monks, paladins, and good-aligned ascetics across faiths train, considering it to be a holy site.

Remove ads