• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruiting: Rowaini Musketeers--One for All and All for One!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Shayuri said:
Hmm...true. But would that be on the entrance exam? It seems a Musketeer would be expected to do cool tricks on horseback. :)

On the other hand, it might be fun to have Jacen fail humiliatingly the first few times he tries, then have him buy some Ride when he levels.
Either way works for me. Musketeers usually are not tested on horseback unless they boast of their skill at such and others wish to see. Some are among the finest horsemen in the world, but others use horses as merely a means of conveyance and are not accomplished.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Either way works for me. Musketeers usually are not tested on horseback unless they boast of their skill at such and others wish to see. Some are among the finest horsemen in the world, but others use horses as merely a means of conveyance and are not accomplished.
And others claim merely to be hung like them ;)

unleashed

First Post
Rystil, I changed post #71 so Gabriel speaks to the receptionist at the end, rather than just leaving it as a statement of what he was going to do. So when you get to replying to the receptionist questions of both Jacen and Gabriel, you might need to reread my post. ;)

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: No, that's not railroading. It's called consolidation and moving forward--especially important for PbPs, as I've realised over the years of doing them. I wouldn't really even consider it railroading if a GM said 'you spent X gold and enoyed a relaxing night, and now it's the next day'. But that isn't the right pacing either for this game right now.)
That’s not consolidation and moving forward, as it made Gabriel both act against character and it took away other choices already made (he had planned to sit for a while in the spa after his massage--mentioned to Adele earlier), without giving him a chance to change the result. That in my book is railroading, for lack of a better word at the moment. Add to that you’ve added in events not in evidence, as Gabriel never mentioned he was in the least tired (that was Jacen and Hyacinthe, Gabriel if anything became more energised upon their return to civilisation), just a little sore from the riding, and allowing another character to continue and not have things wrapped up for them, and it’s quite irritating all up. :(

Edit: Oh, and the reason I posted he's not feeling as relaxed as he should be is because he tensed up somewhat when he found himself not where he expected to be, thus ruining the effect of the massage a little.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
That’s not consolidation and moving forward, as it made Gabriel both act against character and it took away other choices already made (he had planned to sit for a while in the spa after his massage--mentioned to Adele earlier), without giving him a chance to change the result. That in my book is railroading, for lack of a better word at the moment. Add to that you’ve added in events not in evidence, as Gabriel never mentioned he was in the least tired (that was Jacen and Hyacinthe, Gabriel if anything became more energised upon their return to civilisation), just a little sore from the riding, and allowing another character to continue and not have things wrapped up for them, and it’s quite irritating all up. :(

Edit: Oh, and the reason I posted he's not feeling as relaxed as he should be is because he tensed up somewhat when he found himself not where he expected to be, thus ruining the effect of the massage a little.
Please don't worry so much about it. There are good in-character (soporific effects, plus a tiring day) and out-of-character (flow improvement) reasons to continue that way, plus falling asleep can hardly be 'acting against character' except maybe for an elf or a clinical insomniac. Let's not be unreasonable.

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Please don't worry so much about it. There are good in-character (soporific effects, plus a tiring day) and out-of-character (flow improvement) reasons to continue that way, plus falling asleep can hardly be 'acting against character' except maybe for an elf or a clinical insomniac. Let's not be unreasonable.
What tiring day, it was barely past noon? As for 'acting against character', that has to do with the fact that Gabriel didn't continue talking and flirting with Nadine, it has nothing to do with him falling asleep (though if he'd been doing that he likely wouldn't have fallen asleep :p ). And while you say don't worry about it, Rystil, having things fall in such a way has made the game less fun for me, especially as I would have wrapped things up in a few posts today, without the unsatisfying resolution of Gabriel's actions.

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
What tiring day, it was barely past noon? As for 'acting against character', that has to do with the fact that Gabriel didn't continue talking and flirting with Nadine, it has nothing to do with him falling asleep (though if he'd been doing that he likely wouldn't have fallen asleep :p ). And while you say don't worry about it, Rystil, having things fall in such a way has made the game less fun for me, especially as I would have wrapped things up in a few posts today, without the unsatisfying resolution of Gabriel's actions.
They spent six hours riding hard since dawn, with the previous night's rest (and many before) broken up in watches and sleeping on the ground. After lunch and the massage, it was closer to 3:00. And there's a mechanical reason that I'm not mentioning (as I said, there's in-game and out-of game reasons. I even rolled for the in-game reason and everything).

For the talking and flirting, you're absolutely right--and you can insert in some more flirting if you like (that's what others have done when I fast-forward). It won't change the fact that he eventually falls asleep of course, and though it will elicit replies from Nadine, it won't slow down regular continuity (kind of like when NLF had your cleric and the barmaid girl do a separate thread while the rest of the game continued).

unleashed

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
They spent six hours riding hard since dawn, with the previous night's rest (and many before) broken up in watches and sleeping on the ground. After lunch and the massage, it was closer to 3:00. And there's a mechanical reason that I'm not mentioning (as I said, there's in-game and out-of game reasons. I even rolled for the in-game reason and everything).
Must have been a long lunch, considering it was 'a bit past noon--the perfect time for a late lunch' when I asked. ;) And if you'd mentioned there was a mechanical reason before, I would have just shut up, just remember I can't see or hear you rolling and can only react to what you put before me. :p

Rystil Arden said:
For the talking and flirting, you're absolutely right--and you can insert in some more flirting if you like (that's what others have done when I fast-forward). It won't change the fact that he eventually falls asleep of course, and though it will elicit replies from Nadine, it won't slow down regular continuity (kind of like when NLF had your cleric and the barmaid girl do a separate thread while the rest of the game continued).
Similar, maybe, but then NLF and I decided together to take it outside the game, specifically because it was going to drag on for a while, whereas this would have been quick to wrap up with just a little consultation. I won't bother to insert anything now though, as the mood for that particular section has evaporated after how it was all abruptly ended.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
unleashed said:
Must have been a long lunch, considering it was 'a bit past noon--the perfect time for a late lunch' when I asked. ;) And if you'd mentioned there was a mechanical reason before, I would have just shut up, just remember I can't see or hear you rolling and can only react to what you put before me. :p

Similar, maybe, but then NLF and I decided together to take it outside the game, specifically because it was going to drag on for a while, whereas this would have been quick to wrap up with just a little consultation. I won't bother to insert anything now though, as the mood for that particular section has evaporated after how it was all abruptly ended.
Okey dokey. We can, of course, assume flirting to have taken place as appropriate for Gabriel's character. There's no need to be explicit, necessarily.

unleashed

First Post
See all the time we could have been posting today to wrap things up? We would have had a few more hours too, but I didn't bother coming on earlier as I assumed I'd be waiting after Gabriel found himself back in his room.

Unsurprisingly, it turns out my assumption was right! :D :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads