• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Red Flags For Classes In Sources Beyond The Player's Handbook

neogod22

Explorer
Hmm. Perhaps the Aarakocra as a race choice. Simply because, unlike a typical ground-based PC stumbling over and falling to the ground, being stunned/KO'd or the like whilst flying can typical end a character through falling damage, at least at early levels.

...and in my experience, a player that chooses a flying race is gonna fly! Fly high!

Sure you can explain the dangers before hand though it tends to be one of those learning curves that starts with a second, less splatted, character.
Well if K.O'd already (0hp) all fall damage would be reduced to 1 failed death save. Lol

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,
In putting together a Session Zero Payer's Guide, I have been hesitant on what to put in the Allowed Sources list. I know of a couple Red Flags (e.g. the Hexblade, and the Zealot). What classes / subclasses would you put on your 'Not Gonna Happen List'?
I recommend taking a deep breath and then allowing everything that isn't UA. Start off empowering your players by leaving them choices. Start off focused on developing your game world rather than on second-guessing playtested and released material. Over time, you might find that some things don't work out for you. For you! These things might differ from conventional wisdom, which might not be wise for you. Read our posts, sure, and be entertained. The real source of broken are your players. The better they are, the more ways they will find to break things, no matter how you rule. Like toddlers! Players break things. It's their job. Very little in D&D5 itself is outright broken. Though, come the day, you might want to rein in Simulacrum. Or not! Conventional wisdom says that it's easier to start off with restrictions and slacken the reins. I think it's better to start off relaxed, except to let players know that rules that don't work might need to be revisited and tweaked. Anyway, Ken

neogod22

Explorer
When you play a hexblade at all, come back and let us know.
I have played a Hexblade. When it was better. The lvl 6 ability is better now but the lvl 14 ability is trash. You're talking about trying to tank and barely in tier 2, have you even had a multiple encounter day yet? Let alone one without a rest? What makes the Hexblade trash is 3/4 of their specific abilities are the same ability which you can only use once. You got mad when I called medium armor profiency a minor ability, but completely missed my point when I said that can be obtained by a racial ability. I really hope you have a real tank in your party, because anything strong enough to make your Hexblade curse useful will probably kill you.

cooperjer

Explorer
In putting together a Session Zero Payer's Guide, I have been hesitant on what to put in the Allowed Sources list. I know of a couple Red Flags (e.g. the Hexblade, and the Zealot). What classes / subclasses would you put on your 'Not Gonna Happen List'?

I read about half the posts and seen that several people have a lot of good ideas on classes, multi-classing, and feats. I feel that you should talk with your players about what classes they want to play and what they feel they want their characters to do in several levels. I say this because, I've spent a lot of time reworking the sorcerer wild mage and analyzing the two weapon fighting style because my players were not satisfied with how the sub class or system worked with what they had in mind for their character. Save your self a lot of work by helping your players understand the limits in the subclass and guide them to a set of subclasses they will be happy playing.

With respect to the power of any subclass there may be a disparity between a barbarian and a sorcerer, but as long as your players do not get jealous of another PC then they shouldn't ask you to look at a system for power creep. With respect to the total power level of the group, you have the tools as a DM to increase the difficulty by using higher CR monsters, increasing the environment difficulty, and making your NPCs sly enough to think ahead.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
OP:
One shortcut (to save your own time and energy) would be to use anything legal in Adventurer's League, for the original L1 characters.
This has the advantage, every PC starts on the same foundation - nobody is automatically overpowering or underwhelming or mechanically just dead weight on the party.

Your game will change and grow on its own path after that, you may / will find things you adapt, over time.

Remove ads