• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reducing High Magic (6th-9th levels) Spell Slots Option

Then, you insult our table again by implying our DMs are not "competent".

I'm suggesting the problem you're encountering with 'high level magic' stems from a combination of an artefact of your house-rules and the DM not being able to properly deal with 20th level PCs.

If you find that insulting, I'm sorry. t's not meant to be.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Anyway, how often they hit or how often concentration is broken is secondary... the real issue is that 4-6 high magic spells per long rest is just too much power
The way I see it, those two things are directly linked. The power of any spell that involves concentration is dependent on the chances of that concentration being maintained. If concentration is being broken regularly, then the high magic spells don't look so powerful.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The way I see it, those two things are directly linked. The power of any spell that involves concentration is dependent on the chances of that concentration being maintained. If concentration is being broken regularly, then the high magic spells don't look so powerful.
Less than 40% of high magic spells require concentration, though. So, while I acknowledged it is a factor, it is secondary to the issue. And with our casters concentration is not broken regularly.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm suggesting the problem you're encountering with 'high level magic' stems from a combination of an artefact of your house-rules and the DM not being able to properly deal with 20th level PCs.
Even if your right, what’s the point of this statement, as it does nothing for the OP.

who cares why they need the help, they just do...so either provide some or get out of the thread.

maybe the dm is bad at handling 20th level, and instead of changing their whole play style and take a masters course in dming...would instead like to implement one rule that will help them.

maybe the dms old house rule is magnifying the problem...but the party likes the Houserule and so wants to keep it and add something else to compensate.

so your task is simple: your not here to give the dm lessons, your not here to explain to them why their game sucks, your here to help them understand the consequences of the Houserule presented...within the game world that has been presented.

if you don’t want to do that, then there are many other threads to reply to.

and my goodness, the fact that half the posts on this thread are about AC calculations is just ridiculous. It’s 20th level people, it could be +2 god bonus for all we know. The high level campaigns I have run all get “weird” at that point, the group is going to have so many crazy npc contacts, weird favors, special circumstances. 20th level is almost never what it is on paper. So stop trying to prove the group is playing wrong and just evaluate the Houserule

Even if your right, what’s the point of this statement, as it does nothing for the OP.

You're.

And it does do something for the OP. It indicates the problem he's experiencing might in fact lie elsewhere. If his DM did things differently, then the problem wouldn't happen.

He's stated his DM is open to change (heck this houserule he proposes is for that DM), and even the players are prepared to accept nerfs to continue the campaign.

My next question to the OP was 'what was the last quest your PCs were on, and how did having 3 casters capable of casting 9th level spells unbalance it?'

With a bit more info we can likely find out the cause of the problem he's perceiving.

Remove ads