• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reducing High Magic (6th-9th levels) Spell Slots Option

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Overall, hitting is about 50/50 unless we use the shield spell. Which at level 18 wizard, I always have at will now (along with Invisibility), so that drops it to about 25/75. Of course, the other casters have shield, but not at will so they are easier to hit unless they use the slots all the time. Of course, I know one of the others has a cloak of displacement, which helps often.
So are your monsters hitting "enough" or not?

Also, I'm a bit confused--if you're a player, why are you proposing nerfing yourself?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Your enthusiasm to look "right on the internet" has blinded you to what I wrote.
LOL, my apologizes tips his hat but still you shouldn't assume someone else's calculations are wrong when you don't know the whole picture. I told you what my AC was, and you assumed I did it wrong--which I didn't as you now know.

So, it is on you for thinking I did something wrong instead of thinking, "huh, maybe there is something else going on here?"

Since your desire to prove I did something wrong has NOTHING to do with the OP, let's just drop it?

LOL, my apologizes tips his hat but still you shouldn't assume someone else's calculations are wrong when you don't know the whole picture. I told you what my AC was, and you assumed I did it wrong--which I didn't as you now know.

So, it is on you for thinking I did something wrong instead of thinking, "huh, maybe there is something else going on here?"

Since your desire to prove I did something wrong has NOTHING to do with the OP, let's just drop it?

With all your odd house rules, how is the 20th level Fighter faring?

With a '+3 tier bonus' to hit, and AC, I presume he's unstoppable.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So are your monsters hitting "enough" or not?

Also, I'm a bit confused--if you're a player, why are you proposing nerfing yourself?
Well, I play and DM, so I am on both side of this argument. And frankly, even as a player, I want the game to be challenging so if I find something I feel is too strong, I will bring it up to the group--even if it nerfing my own PCs a bit.

Anyway, how often they hit or how often concentration is broken is secondary... the real issue is that 4-6 high magic spells per long rest is just too much power unless the DM throws insane things at the PCs regularly--which is not the play style for our table.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
With all your odd house rules, how is the 20th level Fighter faring?

With a '+3 tier bonus' to hit, and AC, I presume he's unstoppable.
LOL he is very formidable, yes. With have a Paladin with an AC of 27 IIRC (plate +1, shield +2, level bonus +3, and I think a ring or cloak...) and a holy avenger. Our Fighter/Rogue is a beast, especially when he gets off a sneak attack and/or uses his action surge.

So, sure, tier 4 PCs are very powerful, and full casters can be just as good as the others even if we take away 3-4 of their high magic spells, especially with the options we have for adding lower spells slots in.

Oh, and thanks for the judgement there on calling our house-rules "odd". ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Oh, and thanks for the judgement there on calling our house-rules "odd". ;)
Obviously, playing the game in your own desired style and asking for advice is a bit too much for some people to take. :rolleyes:

Edit: You must just need to learn how to play from a competent DM.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, it's not. Not with a competent DM in any event.

And if you have 4-6 such slots, your'e late T4 so expect to be dealing with CR20+ monsters as a matter of course.
Ok, this will be my last post to you.

First, you insult our table by calling our house-rules "odd".

Then, you insult our table again by implying our DMs are not "competent".

Remove ads