• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remnants of the Horde: Vespasian...

deadestdai

First Post
Quickly using his dagger to cut the elf's fingers off that wore rings and stuffing them in his pouch and snatching up the gladius and sticking them in his belt, Vespazian seems slightly relieved the newcomers were Myrachian. Until that is, he received the Hob's news. Damn it all, where is Urcar?! he thought suddenly, wishing the great beast could lead a counter attack. Three Hobgoblin regulars and only two Muragar were hardly a force to be reckoned with, what with all these elves about, but with the behir to head the attack.....

Regretfully trooper, we have little choice. We must withdraw somewhat so we may regroup, giving us a better platform to strike from. He looked to his Muragar. Fear not, we will strike back at them - just not yet. And, grabbing the severed head once more, lopes off with a wave of his axe to his troops indicating they should follow.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Releasing a final volley into the mist (where one grunt signalled that an Elf had been hit), the small group makes a strategic withdrawl, back North towards the entrance to the Cleft.
Another blast of Lightning from deeper in the Cleft signalled that Urcar yet lived. Several flame eruptions followedand then no more lightning was noted...

Mithreander

Explorer
Once blaught notes the t the giant is preoccupied, he moves to the shadows and decides to follow him froma distance. Schot warns that this may not be the best course, but Blaught ignores him. Staying out of sight, he continues to trail the giant to see what it does next.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Mithreander said:
Once blaught notes the t the giant is preoccupied, he moves to the shadows and decides to follow him froma distance. Schot warns that this may not be the best course, but Blaught ignores him. Staying out of sight, he continues to trail the giant to see what it does next.

OoC:psst! You jumped threads..haha

deadestdai

First Post
This is that midden-faced idiot, Yrendrol's fault. Had he sent me to a command that had a full compliment of troops, including spellcasters, then, I wouldn't be in this mess. Running with my tail between my legs..... I shall feast on the bastards heart when all this is done. But that is in the future, "if" I even reach that point in time.

Vespazian barked orders to the Muregar to lead the way to the entrance of the Cleft and the hobgoblins to keep a moving rear guard, sending shots back into the mist, should any figures appear in the gloom. Just as long as the troops kept moving, they should survive this.
Once at the entrance to the Cleft, they will take up defensive positions and wait a short while to see if any more of his force still survived.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Moving as quickly as caution allowed, the group retreated. When at last Vespazian stood at the entrance to the Cleft, 2 Muragar and 15 Hobgoblins stood with him (some of them coming from the higher archery positions.
There was no sign of the Behir...

deadestdai

First Post
Troubled by the dissapearence of the Behir, Urcar for less than a second, the Myrachian captain took stock of his situation.

Less than a full unit. But better than nothing.

Enough to return to the keep with that is. They could never hope to stop this force, especially if they had managed to silence Urcar so easily.

Vespazian ordered an orderly retreat back to the Keep. There he could marshall his remaining troops and send out riders to settlements and fortresses with warnings about the Aruthrian advance.

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Running Northwards, Vespazian, his few Ogres and the remains of his Hobgoblins 'foot it' double-time Northwards out of the Cleft and back towards the Keep. Perhaps a half an hour after setting out, one of the hobgoblins runs up
beside Vespazian and (after a curt salute) says 'Captain, the Aruthians are gaining. they are lighter in armor and fresher than we. Estimates are that they will catch us somewhere about a mile from the Keep. We could make for a hill East or run on to the Keep, what do you want to do.Sir?'

deadestdai

First Post
Uriel said:
Running Northwards, Vespazian, his few Ogres and the remains of his Hobgoblins 'foot it' double-time Northwards out of the Cleft and back towards the Keep. Perhaps a half an hour after setting out, one of the hobgoblins runs up
beside Vespazian and (after a curt salute) says 'Captain, the Aruthians are gaining. they are lighter in armor and fresher than we. Estimates are that they will catch us somewhere about a mile from the Keep. We could make for a hill East or run on to the Keep, what do you want to do.Sir?'

Vespazian groans inwardly at the news. Though, he knew that his tired troops could never truly outrun the elves.

Cursing in the human tongue, he turned as he ran and threw the elven head in his hand back toward the chasing Aruthrians. He then ordered the runner next to him, Run on to the Keep and bring back re-enforcements. We will hold these scum at the hills East of here until you return.

The captain looked at the Hobgoblin, a deathly cold seriousness about his features, regardless of his tiredness. And you "will" bring them back, trooper. Death will not hold me back from destroying your soul, should you fail to carry out my order. These last words came out as a snarl.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
deadestdai said:
Run on to the Keep and bring back re-enforcements. We will hold these scum at the hills East of here until you return.

The captain looked at the Hobgoblin, a deathly cold seriousness about his features, regardless of his tiredness. And you "will" bring them back, trooper. Death will not hold me back from destroying your soul, should you fail to carry out my order. These last words came out as a snarl.

The Hobgoblin nods quickly and runs off, discarding his bow and shield before doing so.

Remove ads