Renewals and Cancellations 2015

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's a bunch of really bad, mostly 'supernatural-themed' shows that are renewed, though: Supernatural (sic!), Grimm, Sleepy Hollow.

I admit to eventually taking Supernatural off my to-watch list because I can't name any fiction series that stays decent after more than seven seasons. However, i those first seven seasons, it was generally good.

Grimm I don't care about. But Sleepy Hollow is fun. Not perfect, but it has enough good bits to keep me entertained.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think the sad thing about the potential cancellation of Elementary is that it is really hitting it's stride. As a new take on Sherlock Holmes, it is refreshing that not everyone, perhaps most of the people around him, are not idiots. In fact, tonight's episode, showed not only Joan Watson but Gregson, Bell, and even the ME as very competent but maybe just a step behind Holmes. The crimes/shows are also following the "procedural" format while being more complex and not cheating the audience through withholding information. It's a tight show with complex characters and, IMO, just keeps getting better. I personally think the Kitty Winter arc was a clever way to keep the audience guessing as to the overall direction of the show while they allowed the main characters to grow. It certainly was more compelling than the obvious track of having the Holmes character have a total relapse. I really hope the show survives the culling.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I have been watching iZombie, because you know, zombies.

It is the first show in a long time where the main characters... talk. I mean, in many other shows, the interpersonal drama is driven by the fact that the characters cannot talk to each other like mature adults. I mean, yes, they do hide the fact that the main character is a brain-eating zombie, but other than that, the characters actually get through difficulties by being honest with each other...

...which is kind of refreshing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
NBC undecided (but unlikely): Constantine

Oh, and something interesting here. This weekend Hulu and NBC.com will be streaming the first season of Constantine for free.

And on Monday, the producer is pitching the second season to the executives.

So, you know, if you liked the show, or were curious, this weekend might be a good time to watch it.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Some updates:

Elementary will be back for season 4:

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/elementa...4-news-when-will-elementary-season-4-premiere

Agents of SHIELD season 3 is also a-go:

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/agents-o...-season-3-news-producer-talks-secret-warriors

There seems to be just a slight chance of a Constantine Season 2:

http://masterherald.com/cw-gives-gl...son-2-of-constantine-from-cancellation/16997/

Agent Carter will be back:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Agent+Carter+season+2

(But no Hunter/Mockingbird spin-off.)

Thx!

TomB

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always thought Constantine was an odd choice for broadcast TV, given the darkness of its storylines and its central character being a classic anti-hero. It would have been far better suited to a network without censorship concerns. But on the whole, I think they did a great job with it. John was well cast and played, and most importantly, he was still an anti-hero.. The storylines, while cleaned up, still retained grit.

Why SyFy didn't jump at this I can only guess: money + full fall schedule. IOW, bad timing to shop a show to them.

CW seems to be doing alright with other DC properties, so it could be a good fit. I don't think they'll bite, though.

Dark horses: I wonder if he's tried talking to USA, Turner, or BBC? BBC produced several good supernatural shows- most, unfairly short lived, including one of the scariest shows I've ever seen on broadcast TV, Apparitions. They could do it.

...as long as they don't recast it with Jeremy Clarkson.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I always thought Constantine was an odd choice for broadcast TV, given the darkness of its storylines and its central character being a classic anti-hero. It would have been far better suited to a network without censorship concerns. But on the whole, I think they did a great job with it. John was well cast and played, and most importantly, he was still an anti-hero.. The storylines, while cleaned up, still retained grit.

Agreed. Although, the very last episode really pushed the limits. It was one of the best episodes, in my opinion, and rather truly horrifying, but perhaps too much for TV.

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads