• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revised DR

IceBear

Explorer
Hmmmm - just read the front page. More info on the changes there. Dunno if I like the proposed materials changes to DR, but it looks like Harm and Haste are definitely getting "fixed"

IceBear

Mr Fidgit

First Post
"It no longer has a hierarchy of materials and magic. That means that while silver weapons will effect lycanthropes, +1 weapons will not."

maybe i haven't been paying close enough attention...have people really had problems with DR, so much so that it needs this kind of 'fix'?

Victim

First Post
I don't like the DR changes especially. Sorry, that +5 Holy Fiend Bane (evil outsider) sword can't bypass the demon's defenses. So stupid. Who the heck asked for that change?

I would have rather seen a different change to Haste. If the extra spell from haste makes quicken spell unattractive, then the same logic should be applied to the extra attack making 2 weapon fighting not worth it, etc. If they don't change Quicken Spell to make it better, then spellcasters are going to have a hard time. I don't see backwards compatibility as problem, since the new haste is just as imcompatibible. Every high level adventure I've seen has the casters using haste to dump spells faster. Instead of changing some stats, the entire tactics and encounter balance would need to be redone. Also, the haste change hurts fighters too, since they could no longer partial charge+full attack.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Mr Fidgit said:
"It no longer has a hierarchy of materials and magic. That means that while silver weapons will effect lycanthropes, +1 weapons will not."

maybe i haven't been paying close enough attention...have people really had problems with DR, so much so that it needs this kind of 'fix'?

Yeah, I didn't mind the 5/blunt change to skeletons, but I never had an issue with silver weapons AND magical weapons affecting werewolves. I suspect many people might incorporate the skeleton type DR, but leave the old stuff alone.

IceBear

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Victim said:
I don't like the DR changes especially. Sorry, that +5 Holy Fiend Bane (evil outsider) sword can't bypass the demon's defenses. So stupid. Who the heck asked for that change?
Sing it, brother! I'm with you all the way on this one. It sounds like they're not "revising" DR at all, they're completely changing the way it works.

My kingdom for a sure striking weapon.

IceBear

Explorer
AuraSeer said:

Sing it, brother! I'm with you all the way on this one. It sounds like they're not "revising" DR at all, they're completely changing the way it works.

My kingdom for a sure striking weapon.

Yup, I'm with you there. I liked that whole Titan with a sword vs a skeleton thing and if they had left it there I'd be fine with it, but the rest just blows.

IceBear

The Little Raven

First Post
Victim said:

I would have rather seen a different change to Haste. If the extra spell from haste makes quicken spell unattractive, then the same logic should be applied to the extra attack making 2 weapon fighting not worth it, etc. If they don't change Quicken Spell to make it better, then spellcasters are going to have a hard time. I don't see backwards compatibility as problem, since the new haste is just as imcompatibible. Every high level adventure I've seen has the casters using haste to dump spells faster. Instead of changing some stats, the entire tactics and encounter balance would need to be redone. Also, the haste change hurts fighters too, since they could no longer partial charge+full attack.

Certain enhancements such as Bane or Holy will probably affect fiends, so I don't think that will be a significant issue. After all, that's what House Rules are for, no?

And as for Haste, I think it's a great idea. It makes Quicken Spell less... useless. I always used Haste to gain extra spells per round, as opposed to having to prepare them as four levels higher. Much easier this way.

And as for the new Haste making two-weapon fighting useless... where do you get that from? Most people who would employ two-weapon fighting (fighters, rangers, other combat classes) are not usually casting Haste. And even if they had Haste cast on them, their two-weapon fighting would still serve its purpose.

Without Two Weapon: Attack 1 (normal), Attack 2 (Haste)
With Two Weapon: Attack 1, Attack 2 (off-hand), Attack 3 (Haste).

More attacks. It's very useful.

[EDIT: Why are people knocking a rule revision that hasn't even been FULLY explained? Sounds like too many go off half cocked and complain about things they have limited knowledge of.]

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
Well, I'll throw in an opposing opinion:

I was kind of excited by the DR changes. Why?

An example: My wife's ranger has lycanthropes as a favored enemy so she carries around a silver dagger just for them. Why does she do that? Her main shortsword is +2, good enough to beat the DR 15/silver they currently have. What?? That just never seemed right to me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what other changes come from removing the heiriarchy. I believe they'll still keep the +1,+2,+3, etc. heiriarchy but we don't know how special materials will fit in yet.

Cold iron as a special material - that's cool! Darn fey will be running scared now!

Remember, there's nothing saying you have to adopt the new rules. If you don't like the changes, stick with the existing rules. There's nothing wrong with that.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
It goes without saying that everybody is free to use house rules. That is not an excuse for rules that are ill-conceived in the first place.

If it does turn out that you need "holysilver" weapons to affect fiends, to the exclusion of, oh, I dunno, blessed weapons, that will only indicate to me that some designer got so excited about this change as to conceive a foolish attachment to the notion of special materials. This obviously remains to be seen.

Victim

First Post
Just like a hastened caster could go Cone of Cold, [Haste partial] Fireball, Quickened magic missile.

More spells. They're very useful.

Quicken spell is still be useful, but as an adjunct to haste. You can quicken either useful low level buffs like shield or no save spells like magic missile. As written, quicken spell is impractical for general use.

And while bane and holy properties would still take effect, that fiend slaying weapon is rather pointless since the primary weapon damage would be able to bypass DR. Also, the comment also seemed to refer to the regen ability of varius outsiders. If you couldn't deal normal damage with your holy sword, then it'd be pretty pointless.

The revised edition shouldn't require as many house rules as the previous one.

Remove ads