Revised ELH Abominations

Belzamus

First Post
Okay, got a question now.

I started working on my Sidereal abominations, with the Heka first. Now, I want him to wield a massive great-maul in all 100 hands (suspending disbelief that he can actually grip something in all 100, he's a Sidereal, for the gods' sake).

I've ruled that it deals 50 x his strength modifier (as per Savage Species on wielding weapons in more than 2 hands) and that it sets his BASE Power Attack ratio to 10:1, which, with his cosmic ability, gives him a 60:1.

Now, that sounds like a lot (he deals about 10,000 damage a hit at ECL 300 or so, 17-20/x9 crit) but I actually think he'd be dishing out MORE damage if he was wielding a hundred neutronium-inlaid orichalcum titanic greatswords. (he's macro-fine).

Of course, having the double War portfolio, his base Attack bonus is +288, which, combined with every hit being a Touch Attack and Uncanny Power Attack, makes his Power Attack damage quite high, which I guess is the reward for wielding his weapon in 100 hands. He has Leap Attack too, which sets his ratio to 120:1 on a charge. Ouch.

Of course, he only gets one attack per round, so it's not quite that bad. His defense aren't exactly stellar either, though +100 Insight to everything helps.

So, what do you guys think?

Hiya mate! :)

Belzamus said:
Hey, they're your rules. :p

I always maintained that once you went past Greater God levels of power the balance gets iffy.

Besides, you've got to be able to hack through a Time Lord's 2 billion hp somehow, right? Of course, before then it's massive overkill. Is the multiplier supposed to apply to just the base dice or the +X from Power Attack and whatnot to? Because that gets pretty insane when you PA at a 12:1 (192:1 with a Scythe with Perfect Critical and UWS? 384:1 with a Leap Attack? EEK!)

Its supposed to apply to the Power Attack bonus only.

Luckily, at that point, you have Perfect Defense, Learned Weapon Immunity, and the like. (Which makes abrogate that much more useful.) Still, when a First One can 1-shot another First One it's a little crazy. Until he realizes his opponent has Transgenic, Transmortality, Transmigration...mwahaha!

I noticed early on that damage really started to exceed defence pretty quickly. Thats why I brought in the d20, d100 and d1000 hit dice. I still don't think that goes far enough - especially when people are min/maxing.

Oh, plus, they make d10's in demoninatons of 100,000; 10,000; 1,000; and 100, though I don't have any. Would probably be useful for actually attempting to play something so ludicrous.

Should you though? Thats the question. :p

I think these sorts of things are feasible in 4E, but not really in 3E, the math just gets out of hand far too quickly.

Deinos

First Post
This is relevant to my interests, since I want teh lower planes in my campaign to be more about a dumping ground for abominations (and other divine yet unwanted beings) and want some better stats for them... are you going to do the IH:B ones as well, or do you think they're good?

Belzamus

First Post
Well, it was more out of not wanting to step on U_K's toes than anything else.

I will say, I think U_K's abominations are much tougher than the ELH's, pound for pound. Again though, it just seems like they're over-cr'd. (Amilitici comes to mind)

I'll take another look at them. If anything, they could probably just use a little tweaking to make them tougher for tougher parties.

hey there! :)

Deinos said:
This is relevant to my interests, since I want teh lower planes in my campaign to be more about a dumping ground for abominations (and other divine yet unwanted beings) and want some better stats for them... are you going to do the IH:B ones as well, or do you think they're good?

By 'do', I assume you mean revise the CRs? Otherwise I am confused.

The CRs in the book are indeed incorrect. I suggest adding 3 and then using 5/6ths.

So if it was CR 47, increase to 50 and then take 5/6ths...in this case CR 41.

Belzamus

First Post
U_K, where do you get this crazy math-fu of yours? You make me feels so simple minded. :p

And yeah, I don't see any need for the monsters in the Bestiary to be changed the way I did the ELH monsters here. I mean...I did this to bring them in line with the Immortals Handbook.

Except for the Neutronium Golem. That thing needs it's own CR formula, I think. :p

Hey Belzamus dude! :)

Belzamus said:
U_K, where do you get this crazy math-fu of yours? You make me feels so simple minded. :p

You have to learn to see past the math and just see the code. :p

And yeah, I don't see any need for the monsters in the Bestiary to be changed the way I did the ELH monsters here. I mean...I did this to bring them in line with the Immortals Handbook.

Well Version 6 method would be best and most accurate but its only a 16% difference or thereabouts.

Except for the Neutronium Golem. That thing needs it's own CR formula, I think. :p

Well I think we collectively revised it to about CR 750 a few years back.

Deinos

First Post
Well, it just bothers me that the IH abominations are around CR 30-40, and that, per the v5 pdf (is the v6 one out?) as well as per these revisions, the "original flavor" abominations are around TWICE the new one's challenge ratings. v5 puts the regular xixecal as CR 70 or so... which is a bit off, compared to the amilicti which looks a little stronger.

Howdy Deinos! :)

Deinos said:
Well, it just bothers me that the IH abominations are around CR 30-40, and that, per the v5 pdf (is the v6 one out?) as well as per these revisions, the "original flavor" abominations are around TWICE the new one's challenge ratings. v5 puts the regular xixecal as CR 70 or so... which is a bit off, compared to the amilicti which looks a little stronger.

V6 isn't out but I did outline the changes - as far as CR goes simply add 3 then take 5/6ths.

After you do that if my abominations are still lower CR, then its only because they ARE lower CR. ;)

Deinos

First Post
Howdy Deinos! :)

V6 isn't out but I did outline the changes - as far as CR goes simply add 3 then take 5/6ths.

After you do that if my abominations are still lower CR, then its only because they ARE lower CR. ;)

I really don't get this... are you saying we'd apply the V6 factor to both the IH:B challenge ratings and the revised V5 challenge ratings, or what? I don't see any way that this would result in the amilicti still being of lower CR than the xixecal, when the amilicti at least seems to be superior in all ways. Or is the xixecal's higher CR simply due to that they can summon 5 big freakin' dragons and the amilicti can only summon paragon thunderworms?

Remove ads