RIP: Good Music Albums

DonTadow

First Post
My favorite albums are albums where i can pop the cd in and want to replay every song back to back.

In my top five

Train's first album Train. Their best work. Drops of Jupiter was nice but since then the writing has gone down hill.

Matchbox Twenty's first album. A good album of a band who didnt know they were going to make it, just wanted to make good music in florida

The Tony Rich Project "Missing you" and "Butterfly" His songs were far too deep for commercial use. The one hit he had that went to the radio was only popular because people misunderstood the lyrics. It was the first album I heard were every song fit the central theme of the album, which was about how much he missed his ex-wife. Butterfly, equally as good, but the theme is a little happier as he has reconciled with his wife.

Tupac Shakur F*** The World
Sadly most of the new generation of Tupac fans will never really know how talented a writer and producer he was because of the crap stuff they put out of his and the commercial feel of his last two (living) albums . This was the last album he wrote and produced before he got "really" popular.

Green Day
American Idiot
The best album in recent years. It amazes me how they produce 11 good tracks and tell a really good story in the process.

Steel_Wind

Legend
bento said:
The following appeared on Salon.com yesterday, which was quoted from the New York Times:

The end of the album? Ten years ago, record companies had almost ceased putting out singles -- but with the rise of iTunes, as the New York Times writes today, the buying trend has switched so drastically that now it's the album whose days may be numbered. "Last year, digital singles outsold plastic CDs for the first time," reports the paper, and so far this year, "buyers of digital music are purchasing singles over albums by a margin of 19 to 1." Some new artists are being given contracts not to record entire records, but a few songs and perhaps a ring tone -- which might lead to an album if there's a hit. "I think the album is going to die," one media consultant tells the Times. "Consumers who have had iPods since they were in the single digits are going to increasingly gravitate toward artists who embrace that." ("The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor," New York Times)

from Bento the trendwatcher! ;)

The article continues with:

In some ways, the current climate recalls the 1950s and to some extent, the 60s, when many popular acts sold more singles than albums. It took greatly influential works like The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds” to turn the album into pop music’s medium of choice.

Hmmm. Back to the 50s and early 60s you say? Do tell.

Many music executives dispute the idea that the album will disappear. In particular, they say, fans of jazz, classical, opera and certain rock (bands like Radiohead and Tool) will demand album-length listening experiences for many years to come. But for other genres — including some strains of pop music, rap, R&B and much of country — where sales success is seen as closely tied to radio air play of singles, the album may be entering its twilight.

Yesterday's NY Times article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/business/media/26music.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

So it's vinyl tradition rock styles vs. Mp3 Sesame Street playlists.

I do believe I read that recently... :cool:

/me takes a bow with a flourish.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I didn't answer the guitar-driven modern albums question from before. While nothing today sounds exactly like the guitar-driven stuff of the 1970s (which didn't sound exactly like the guitar-driven stuff of the 1980s, either, because that was a different era), folks wanting guitar-heavy rock should check out the Arcade Fire's newest album and the Arctic Monkeys.

I also like the one single I know from Angels & Airwaves -- "The Adventure Begins" -- which has as many soaring guitars as anyone could ever want.

Pants

First Post
Vigilance said:
Right, but it was ALWAYS like that. Back when there was rock on the radio, in the days you're talking about, some of it was still Quiet Riot.
Who be hatin' on the Riot? ;)

Felon said:
When was the last time a song with a killer electric guitar solo hit #1 on the billboard charts?
While not classic metal really, 'Avenged Sevenfold' can play a mean guitar. They're a little whinier, grungier, and emo than my usual tastes but, their guitarist kicks some butt.

Nightfall said:
All hail classic Metallica forever!
Damn right.

Though I prefer Megadeth to Metallica. Bing on 'United Abominations!'

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Eh Megadeth has its albums but still not as classic as Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning.

Avenged Sevenfold is an awesome band.

*doesn't hate the Riot* Still feel the noise from those boys.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Pants,

I do that a lot and while I'm more Metallica than Megadeth, it's just as much as I'm more CCR than I am Beatles. ;)

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I also like the one single I know from Angels & Airwaves -- "The Adventure Begins" -- which has as many soaring guitars as anyone could ever want.

I have this album (gotta love iTunes) and it rocks start to finish. The album (and band, for that matter) took a lot of flak for sounding like U2-rip off's, but, I really thought this disc was entertaining.

Remove ads