RIP: Good Music Albums

Mycanid

First Post
Hmm ... I'd have to say Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre - his first, and many still say his best work, which came out in 1976 I think.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Steel_Wind said:
The article continues with:

Hmmm. Back to the 50s and early 60s you say? Do tell.

Yesterday's NY Times article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/business/media/26music.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

So it's vinyl tradition rock styles vs. Mp3 Sesame Street playlists.

I do believe I read that recently... :cool:

/me takes a bow with a flourish.

The new iTunes "Complete My Album" feature is being rtied to address this some. Now if you purchase a single, you don't have to pay for it again when you buy the album. This will allow people to download a single to two from an album, and hopefully after leaving them wanting more, they will go back and purchase the rest of the album.

Having to pay again has stopped me from buying an album on a couple of occasions because I had already bought a song or two. I could have just individually purchased the rest of the singles, but some albums have "album only" tracks, and some albums come at a discount to purchasing each of the singles separately.

A few albums to add:

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Planet P Project - Pink World
Midge Ure - Answers to Nothing
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Kirsty MacColl - Titanic Days
Blondie - Parallel Lines
The Tubes - The Completion Backward Principle
Spring Awakening - Original Broadway Cast
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Who - Tommy
Jerry Goldsmith - Alien soundtrack
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe

If I did the list over in another year or two, I don't think it would change much. All of these have stood the test of time for me, except Spring Awakening which just came out in December. But knowing myself, I already know it will forever be on my lists of "greats."

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
I think Steel Wind hit the nail on the head in describing how the music industry has changed over the years. There was a time when an album was seen as a single piece of work, not a collection of singles.

Some additions to the list of albums that need no skip track button:

any of the Police albums
Kings of the Wild Frontier - Adam and the Ants
Billy Idol
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Cuts Like a Knife - Bryan Adams
The Cars
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Rio - Duran Duran
I Just Can't Stop It - The English Beat
Kick - INXS
The Kings Are Here - The Kings
Bad Habits - The Monks
A Night At the Opera - Queen
Once Upon A Time - Simple Minds
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
greymist said:
I think Steel Wind hit the nail on the head in describing how the music industry has changed over the years. There was a time when an album was seen as a single piece of work, not a collection of singles.
In theory. The reality was, most of the time, there were a few good tracks on any album, and the rest was crap.

There's still good albums out there -- plenty of modern ones have been mentioned on this thread.

DethStryke

Explorer
Plenty of choices I agree with here. One I did not see mentioned:

Counting Crows: August & Everything After

In the larger discussion of the music industry and bands, CC is on their own wave. One of the only bands I know of that has an open agreement for their music distribution that actively allows and encourages live concert bootlegs.

http://trading.countingcrows.com/

Testament

First Post
My personal list (heavy on the metal, since that's what I love to listen to)

Emperor: Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, In the Nightside Eclipse
Nile: Black Seeds of Vengeance, In Their Darkened Shrines
Pink Floyd: The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon
The Beatles: Revolver
Green Day: American Idiot
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
Mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Jet: Get Born
silverchair: Neon Ballroom

I'd put some of Sunn O)))'s work on there (especially Altar and Black One), but they don't have songs, they have waves of sound that blur into one another to make an album

Remove ads