Ritual Magic (A new book of magic)

Very cool system you have here. Its finals week so I won't have time to go through all the rituals, but just from casual browsing there's a lot of nice concepts and mechanics going on. One quick criticism I'd make is that abilities like Grasp the Lifeblood are too strong for 1st level characters, they're basically on the level of instant kill abilities. I would look to the Death Domain's granted power for comparison and to use as a model. Perhaps roll 1d8 per class level, if the target's hp is over that amount it has no effect, if the target's hp is under that amount he is paralyzed for the amount of time. Otherwise, consider both a Fortitude save followed by a Will save (ala Phantasmal Killer) and if the target makes the Will save, he'd still be stunned for 1 round.

I'll come back with more feedback when I can, until then I look forward to more of your material :)

Stratovarius

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Very cool system you have here. Its finals week so I won't have time to go through all the rituals, but just from casual browsing there's a lot of nice concepts and mechanics going on. One quick criticism I'd make is that abilities like Grasp the Lifeblood are too strong for 1st level characters, they're basically on the level of instant kill abilities. I would look to the Death Domain's granted power for comparison and to use as a model. Perhaps roll 1d8 per class level, if the target's hp is over that amount it has no effect, if the target's hp is under that amount he is paralyzed for the amount of time. Otherwise, consider both a Fortitude save followed by a Will save (ala Phantasmal Killer) and if the target makes the Will save, he'd still be stunned for 1 round.

I'll come back with more feedback when I can, until then I look forward to more of your material :)

Its actually a fair bit worse than equivelent abilities like Colour Spray or Sleep, both of which can end an encounter in one round. Plus, at level 1, a longbow or a crossbow (or any other weapon for that matter) is an instant death ability. As the levels climb, it becomes no better (and often worse), than other abilities like Hold Person or Dominate. It only falls somewhere in the middle of mental-control save or die abilities.

Stratovarius

First Post
Just finally added the Ritual Warrior flavour text (ya, it only took me three weeks). Should provide an interesting read, and describe where I wanted the class to go a little more fully than just the class abilities were.

Coming up next will be reams of rituals, and the fourth and final base class (as well as a renaming of the Ritualist base class).

Remove ads