Ritual Magic (A new book of magic)

Land Outcast

Explorer
Not to be mean, you know, but I wouldn't expect anyone to read through all of that (or even part, the amount of text is intimidating) and comment.

If I may: the most sensible approach would have been to first post about be basics of ritual magic and wait for comments to appear (and then continue with some other section, say, a base class, etc). Of course, that is if you actually want comments.

Just trying to help here :heh:

Stratovarius

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Not to be mean, you know, but I wouldn't expect anyone to read through all of that (or even part, the amount of text is intimidating) and comment.

If I may: the most sensible approach would have been to first post about be basics of ritual magic and wait for comments to appear (and then continue with some other section, say, a base class, etc). Of course, that is if you actually want comments.

Just trying to help here :heh:

I did do the sensible approach, actually. Its just by the time I got around to posting it on the EnWorld forums, it had expanded a fair bit from the original. It started out on my forums, until it was completed as a Tome of Magic style 1 base/5 prestige/70 spells/20 feats deal, then moved over to WotC, where there was a good deal of feedback, including suggestions that I expand it into a full tome of its own. Shortly after that, I also migrated over here and brought the content with me. Now its sitting somewhere slightly over being half complete (aside from monsters, which I am bad at), and I've had everything from "I'd like to write a story about ritual magic" to "I'd like to make a base class for your system" to "I think the flavour is iffy" to "no comment". There's a heavier weight on the plus side though, so I'll keep going with it (not that I was going to stop until it was finished anyway).

Placed all existing Martyr Rituals into levels. The link from the front post will take you to the 31 completed rituals, leaving 39 still to go.

Also added the Unraveller into the front post.

igavskoga

First Post
Stratovarius: I'm really enjoying this thread. You've got some great work done. So far I have no useful balance comments, and since its been vetted on your own forum and Wizards I didn't really expect to have any. The flavor is spot on though, and it is coincidentally EXACTLY what I've been looking for to fuel one of the cultures in my homebrew. I hadn't had the time or inspiration to work up my own system yet but this really fits perfectly.

Keep it coming! :D

Quick question, since you have the best perspective on the system as a whole - would there be any concerns with mixing in some Martyr rituals into the ritual lists for the other classes? (Aside from potential flavor mismatch with the Ritualist for example) I'm in the middle of writing my thesis so I haven't actually had time to sit and sift through all the rituals individually.

Stratovarius

First Post
Well, the flavour and mechanics are very different. The Ritualist and Ritual Warrior are both very self-focused. Aside from only a few rituals, they boost themselves into being better fighters, usually in melee combat.

The Martyr, on the other hand, is turned outward. He can target himself with his buffs, but its probably better for him not to, and several of his (Network, among others) really serve no purpose aside from to help others.

Plus, I also tried to balance the classes in such a way that they would have access to almost exactly half their total ritual list, preventing them from doing the Wizard or Cleric thing and having every possible spell around for when they need it. The restriction on breadth of knowledge as well as depth was intentional, in that a Ritualist could not fulfill every role in a party, unlike some of the other caster classes.

While I haven't taken them in game yet, one of my friends, who has, thought that the Ritualist (in a 1-6 game), slotted in quite nicely. If anyone else manages to run it through a game, do let me know so I can collect the feedback.

igavskoga

First Post
That's pretty much what I figured from my few quick read-throughs. I'll be starting up my game in early July, and they'll at least get some play time as NPCs. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

I haven't had a chance to read over everything yet, but what I have read over I like. I may be using this in my game world, provided I ever get it up and running. ;)

Have you given thoughts to releasing this as a PDF?

Stratovarius

First Post
igavskoga said:
That's pretty much what I figured from my few quick read-throughs. I'll be starting up my game in early July, and they'll at least get some play time as NPCs. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Should be interesting. The question of which monsters are sacrificed to the rituals makes a great deal of difference for two of the classes, so the nature of the campaign can dictate the nature of the class a great deal. Undead and Constructs are *not* the Ritualist's friends (unless you're a Quietus).

Goddess FallenAngel said:
I haven't had a chance to read over everything yet, but what I have read over I like. I may be using this in my game world, provided I ever get it up and running. ;)

Have you given thoughts to releasing this as a PDF?

I've been thinking about it, and probably will at some point, but right now I'm just working on finishing it. I'd probably need help to make it a nicely looking and formatted PDF, as well as any/all artwork (I have no native artistic talent).

Remove ads