Rogue Archer Build Tweaking

TheOrk

First Post
Then i should take a look at Races of Faerûn (for the PC-Race description?) and get my group into arguing that we start Level3 ...

mikebr99

Explorer
TheOrk said:
Then i should take a look at Races of Faerûn (for the PC-Race description?) and get my group into arguing that we start Level3 ...
Right... Races fo Faerun.

Or, ask your DM about making it a 2 (or 3) level race. Similar to the Drow Paragon in UA.

Mike

TheOrk

First Post
He told us: Level 2 or Level 1 ECL+1
But since Level 1 is quite weak and we all chose an ECL+1 maybe i can talk him into more...

We also got a Tiefling Monk, that is maybe one of the weakest builds i've ever seen for a monk...

TheOrk

First Post
ECL +3 destroys the build, i will get Arcane Archer 10 at Level 22

What else has a maximum ECL+1 and a Bonus on DEX and INT?

mikebr99

Explorer
TheOrk said:
ECL +3 destroys the build, i will get Arcane Archer 10 at Level 22

What else has a maximum ECL+1 and a Bonus on DEX and INT?
Well, a sun (or Gold) elf gets +2 INT, -2 CON for 0 ECL.

And you get more classes!

TheOrk

First Post
I was thinking Air Genasi or Tiefling (+ DEX / INT and Darkvision) for rogue. Tiefling would qualify better since they have Favoured Class Rogue...

Sun or Moon Elfes (one +INT the other one +DEX) would qualify as Alternative too. They would lack the nifty Darkvision and only get a Bonus on one of the atributes... Both have acess to Arcane Archer and/or Deepwood Sniper which make good Archer Classes... But both have Favoured Class: Wizard. So i would be limited to a Rogue/Wizard only Build.
Wizard1 / Rogue8 would have the BAB and Feats to Qualify as AA for example, but it will come out short on Feats and BAB.

But this looks like a good one:

Half-Drow!
60 ft. Darkvision
Favoured Class: Highest Class
Drow Blood (acess to Bladesinger / Arcane Archer!)

No Attribute Boni whatsoever :(

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
For a rogue fighting ranged, and since you´re using Complete Warrior, I´d go for Master thrower instead of OotBI. Less requirements, and better abilities for a rogue IMO.

mikebr99

Explorer
TheOrk said:
I was thinking Air Genasi or Tiefling (+ DEX / INT and Darkvision) for rogue. Tiefling would qualify better since they have Favoured Class Rogue...

Sun or Moon Elfes (one +INT the other one +DEX) would qualify as Alternative too. They would lack the nifty Darkvision and only get a Bonus on one of the atributes... Both have acess to Arcane Archer and/or Deepwood Sniper which make good Archer Classes... But both have Favoured Class: Wizard. So i would be limited to a Rogue/Wizard only Build.
Wizard1 / Rogue8 would have the BAB and Feats to Qualify as AA for example, but it will come out short on Feats and BAB.
How about Wiz 1/Rog 3/Ftr 3?
TheOrk said:
But this looks like a good one:

Half-Drow!
60 ft. Darkvision
Favoured Class: Highest Class
Drow Blood (acess to Bladesinger / Arcane Archer!)

No Attribute Boni whatsoever :(
Yeah... all the bad stuff about being a Drow, but none of the good stuff... no thanks.

Maybe it's just me... but both those PrCs (Bladesinger & Arcane Archer) seem like ones for good aligned 'surface' Elves... YMMV... your DM may have the same thoughts.

Classes are better then low ECL races IMO.

Mike

TheOrk

First Post
Master Thrower...

Would save a normal feat by gaining quick draw, and gain a lot of usefull other things at low requirements, but:

- Evasion is already granted by low Level Rogue
- Rogue and Wizard are both not trained with the best throwing Weapon ever: Shuriken
- Does not get the Arcane Archers automatic Arrow Enchantment or Special Abilities
- Lacks Hide and Move Silently Skills as Class Skill

About the Drow:

Thanks for the comment, i realised the only thing better then a normal Half-Elf is that he has the slight advantage of Darkvision instead of LowLight vision, but a lot of social Penalties.

Fey'ri would make awsome Rogues, being Able to Fly, Alter their Physical Apearance at will and with some inborn Boni to Skills and be able to Arcane A... But at ECL +3 (if you want to be able to Cast Dimensional Door, ECL+2 without)

The Other Option is an Elf Build. Half-Elves got the only Advantage over Elf that their favourite Class can be rogue. Since i need to take a level in Wizard (which would be an Elfs favourite Class) and go with rogue from there, they would be the better choice, because the get a +2 DEX or +2 INT depending on sub-race.

Wizard 1 / Rogue 8 would gain the BAB+6 and Feats for Arcane Archer

Wizard 1 / Rogue 3 / Fighter 3 would have BAB+5? So i would have to go rogue 4 or Fighter 4. Gaining 2 additional Feats, arcane Archer one level earlier, BAB one higher, but loosing (8+INT)x5 .. roughly 55 Skillpoints and the Ability to be good at Sneak and Hide :(

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
TheOrk said:
Master Thrower...

Would save a normal feat by gaining quick draw, and gain a lot of usefull other things at low requirements, but:

- Evasion is already granted by low Level Rogue

The class grants improved evasion if you already have evasion, and I´d prefer things like sneaky shot, weak spot and tumbling toss to those abilities, but to each its own.

Remove ads