Rules Lawyer: Improved Trip with Weapon Question

ARandomGod

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Any trip attempt that isn't made with a weapon that is a specially designated tripping weapon is done unarmed.

I see that now.
I originally knew that, but I'm sure you know how rules tend to get muddy if they haven't been used in a while...

Funeris

First Post
Well ARandomGod, I agree with you on the Trips being dex based. And I could give a bazillion (well not really but up there) reasons or examples why. But then, I didn't write the books. Its between Destan and me now I guess.

And again, even though its been answered, yeah just certain weapons such as whips, spiked chain (I think), the sickle, a couple others.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
In the Rules forum, you're going to be told 'It's Str only.' In a House Rules forum, people might suggest a GM call otherwise or a feat.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
robberbaron said:
The attacker uses STR because he is trying to pull the defender off his feet.
The defender can stand and take it (use STR) or try to hop onto his other foot (use DEX).

Also, per Complete Adventurer, the defender can use Balance to stay on their feet, albeit with a -10 penalty, if they have 10+ ranks.

Brad

BSF

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Any trip attempt that isn't made with a weapon that is a specially designated tripping weapon is done unarmed.

Heh, just treat is as unarmed and use flavor text for using a weapon.

You jab your bastard sword between his legs and trip up his footwork. While doing that, you drop your guard enough to incur an AOO. Go ahead and make a strength check to see if you lever him off his feet with your sword.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
BardStephenFox said:
Heh, just treat is as unarmed and use flavor text for using a weapon.

You jab your bastard sword between his legs and trip up his footwork. While doing that, you drop your guard enough to incur an AOO. Go ahead and make a strength check to see if you lever him off his feet with your sword.

And make sure you don't let them talk you into adding Weapon Focus (bastard sword) or the sword's enhancement bonus to the touch attack roll :)

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd suggest that dex-based tripping would require a feat. In the real world, your primary means of knocking someone off their feat is via brute strength, and it takes training to do otherwise.

In otherwords, doing otherwise is feat-worthy. If you really think a feat is too much, you could consider rolling the benefit into weapon finesse.

IndyPendant

First Post
Hrm. Well actually, on consideration, I would probably allow a player to take the Improved Trip feat, and swap out the +4 bonus to Str bonus for the ability to use Dex bonus (without the +4 bonus). That doesn't seem particularly unbalancing to me. What do you think?

Remove ads